• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zuiko Digital 50mm f2 macro - any user here? (1 Viewer)

Very promising shots Cristian. Looks like sharpness isn't going to be an issue now you have it and have tested it. Like Ron I also like the bee in the yellow flower-a real cracker!

The Macro season is very much under way now. I used my 100-400zoom with a 25mm tube yesterday, and was fairly pleased with the results, but not enough to stop me ordering the Sigma 180mm macro lens last night!

All the best,

Steve

Nice shot Cristian. The best so far for me (the DF). Is it cropped quite heavily? I just wonder if it might be better still if you backed it off a little and perhaps the effect of sharpness would be enhanced further? I find the Olympus files start to reveal their pixels after a certain amount of cropping (as do all 10MP cameras).

I guess you needed to get pretty close to get this one? I could never get this close with the 50-200SWD, and it's one of the reasons I started hankering after something else that could get me in even closer. My Sigma 180 is on back order for at least another week so I'll just have to wait!

The Moth is very nice too, but I wonder if the focus is on the moth or the leaf? The DOF is very shallow with these short macro lenses.

Keep 'em coming,

Steve

I see, just checked the zoom level of my screen and it's turned up to 125%, hence the effect. Looks much better at 100%!! Pretty clean for ISO 400.

Sorry if I caused any offence,

Steve

No offence, Steve. Any comments are appreciated.

Maybe I will manage to take some more shots during the coming week-end. We have a very good forecast, so I would try to use some lower values for ISO.

Last edited:
Two pics taken hand held with 50 mm f2 + EC-14 using the built-in flash (ISO 400, f9, 1/160).

Attachments

• P5043957m.jpg
    P5043957m.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 95
  • P5043949m.jpg
    P5043949m.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 103
And another one taken hand held with the same combo, but in natural light (ISO 400, f10, 1/200).

Attachments

• P5033755m.jpg
    P5033755m.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 74
Here is a damselfly portrait. Taken with E-520 and 50 mm f2. ISO 400, F9, -0.3EV , 1/100.

Attachments

• P5228147m.jpg
    P5228147m.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Both of your last two shots are super sharp. I love the Hawker image. You must have to be pretty close to get shots like these. What is the working distance like compared to your 50-200 or 70-300 zooms?

This is the one thing I miss about my 50-200SWD now that I've sold it and moved over to the Canon with Sigma 180 Macro. With the Olympus lenses you get a working distance of around 1 metre on a 300mm lens, and with the benefit of fast accurate autofocus on the 50-200 + EC14. Still, the sharpness of the 50mmf2 is unmatched by either of these lenses.

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

The Closest Focusing Distance for 50 mm (or for the combo 50 mm + EC-14) it is about 24 cm from the sensor - this means a very few centimeters from the end of the lens.

Here is another shot taken with 50 mm + EC-14 - a White-tailed Skimmer "portrait".

Attachments

• P5278753m.jpg
    P5278753m.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back