• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron HR66 & Canon Powershot A710 no go ? (1 Viewer)

simon T.

My Opticron HR66 (AA66-SR) scope with fixed x20 eyepiece is OK for my birding needs.

I also have A Canon Powershot A710 digi camera.

I have been advised that the two are not compatible for digiscoping because:-

1. The camera is X6 optical zoom, whereas x3 or 4 is necessary.

2. There is no suitable adaptor available.

Is this advice correct ?

simon T.

Hi Simon

It is not so much the zoom range, as the size of the lens aperture on the camera that will cause you problems. The image you'll see will show a lot of vignetting and it is very likely that you'd not be able to fill the frame of the camera using the optical zoom.

You'd only be able to use a universal adaptor to mount the camera behind the lens. There are many of these on the market ranging in price from around £15 to £100+.

My advice would be to try hand-holding the camera to the eyepiece to see what you can get onto the sensor before you invest anything at all.

Cheers, Pete

Hi Simon

It is not so much the zoom range, as the size of the lens aperture on the camera that will cause you problems. The image you'll see will show a lot of vignetting and it is very likely that you'd not be able to fill the frame of the camera using the optical zoom.

You'd only be able to use a universal adaptor to mount the camera behind the lens. There are many of these on the market ranging in price from around £15 to £100+.

My advice would be to try hand-holding the camera to the eyepiece to see what you can get onto the sensor before you invest anything at all.

Cheers, Pete

That is interesting ! Thanks very much.

The lens aperture on my camera is bigger than the eyepiece.

I will do as you advise.Much appreciated.

simon T.

That is interesting ! Thanks very much.

The lens aperture on my camera is bigger than the eyepiece.

I will do as you advise.Much appreciated.

simon T.

Update.

I was unable to get rid of vignetting.

I tried one of the universal kits but it was so fiddley to set up & Meccano like that I gave up.

I then tried an Opticron digi kit with the Panasonic Lumix TS40 camera & a 20-60 zoom eyepiece & found it utterly satisfactory, simple to fit & remove with as many features
as my Canon. The price gave me a little nose bleed (360 GBP) but not only can I now
digi but also I have an improved scope too.

simon T.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back