• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope focusing through LCD screen (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

Recently, I bought a scope, camera and digiscoping adapter - my first. I am having trouble looking at the LCD screen of the camera and determining if the scope is properly focused so that the camera's autofocus will be able to do its job.
Is this how most digiscoping is done? Focusing the scope by looking through the LCD screen? Or is the scope focused first then the camera and adapter set in place to take the shot?

Thanks from a beginning digiscoper -

Steve

Recently, I bought a scope, camera and digiscoping adapter - my first. I am having trouble looking at the LCD screen of the camera and determining if the scope is properly focused so that the camera's autofocus will be able to do its job.
Is this how most digiscoping is done? Focusing the scope by looking through the LCD screen? Or is the scope focused first then the camera and adapter set in place to take the shot?

Thanks from a beginning digiscoper -

Steve

Steve
Most people can focus using the LCD screen, but it does depend on its quality/resolution.
What camera/scope do you have?
Neil

I think it depends on other things as well as the camera screen. Personally I can't focus the scope using the screen, especially if the subject is moving, but then my eyes aren't what they used to be. This is why I prefer adapters which are easily removable or swing out.

Steve
Most people can focus using the LCD screen, but it does depend on its quality/resolution.
What camera/scope do you have?
Neil

Neil - The scope is the Opticron MM3 and the camera a FH8 Panasonic Lumix. The Lumix has a 3" monitor; the specs state that there are 230,000 dots. Both are new.

Steve

I think it depends on other things as well as the camera screen. Personally I can't focus the scope using the screen, especially if the subject is moving, but then my eyes aren't what they used to be. This is why I prefer adapters which are easily removable or swing out.

Honestly, I didn't know ahead of time whether I would be removing the adapter or focusing through the LCD screen. Obviously, removing the adapter would be slower and add the chance of knocking the scope alignment out of whack so I hoped to use the screen.

Steve

Neil - The scope is the Opticron MM3 and the camera a FH8 Panasonic Lumix. The Lumix has a 3" monitor; the specs state that there are 230,000 dots. Both are new.

Steve

Steve
That's your problem. 230,000 is not enough resolution. Most of the good digiscoping cameras have around 1,000,000 dots. Have a look at the Nikon P330.
Neil

Hi, I normally focus the scope looking through the ocular, then place the camera and let the autofocus do the rest. If the bird moves a bit, the autofocus normally manages to compensate this. If the bird moves too far, I refocus the scope looking at the screen, focus does not need to be precise, just close enough for the autofocus to work again.
First focus I always do with the eye through the scope.

Cheers

Hi, I normally focus the scope looking through the ocular, then place the camera and let the autofocus do the rest. If the bird moves a bit, the autofocus normally manages to compensate this. If the bird moves too far, I refocus the scope looking at the screen, focus does not need to be precise, just close enough for the autofocus to work again.
First focus I always do with the eye through the scope.

Cheers

I don't see how this works, Dalat. If the scope is not focused on the subject, how can the camera "fix" that? The autofocus of the camera will only focus on what the scope is showing it, correct?

Steve

Steve
That's your problem. 230,000 is not enough resolution. Most of the good digiscoping cameras have around 1,000,000 dots. Have a look at the Nikon P330.
Neil

I think that is at least part of my problem, Neil. However, I can't switch cameras easily since the adapter is bespoke (I hope I used that word correctly; it's new to me) to a particular camera fitting a particular scope. Which is why I returned the adapter and made my own out of PVC. Not perfect but cheap, fast and accurate enough for my needs as a birder.
It is a good detail to consider if I ever decide to upgrade my system. Thanks -

Steve

Attachments

• PVC adapter.jpg
    PVC adapter.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 87
I don't see how this works, Dalat. If the scope is not focused on the subject, how can the camera "fix" that? The autofocus of the camera will only focus on what the scope is showing it, correct?
Steve, I do the same, but focus the scope by looking into the life view of the camera, and it works for me. The AF of the camera can compensate for a small out of focus position of the telescope.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back