• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro rookie question (1 Viewer)

Bwana1

Hi,
I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 at a great price.

Are all EL series Swarovision ?, and what distinguishes Swarovision(what features), can I look at the bins and know ?

Thank you,
Eric

PS:I have pictures if that helps.

That's the left barrel as you hold the glasses in a position to look through them, with the ocular lenses toward you. (for Swarovision)

Thank you very much,
The name is on the right, eagle logo on left side...so must be non-SV, darn I knew it was too good to be true.

Serial # L7738?9252,,,,any idea on age ?

Thank you very much,
The name is on the right, eagle logo on left side...so must be non-SV, darn I knew it was too good to be true.

The Swaro. 8.5x42 EL is a very good binocular, and the first ones
were available in 1999. The ser. # tells us that it is a 2007 model,
and is a later model of the orig. EL. You add 30 to the first 2 digits
to tell the year of mfr.
I have owned examples of both the EL and the EL SV.
If wondering about value, this one if pristine, without any scratches
should be worth around $1,100. or so.

The 8.5x42 EL is one of best of the Swarovski models. It is the
universal distance viewer.

Jerry

The Swaro. 8.5x42 EL is a very good binocular, and the first ones
were available in 1999. The ser. # tells us that it is a 2007 model,
and is a later model of the orig. EL. You add 30 to the first 2 digits
to tell the year of mfr.
I have owned examples of both the EL and the EL SV.
If wondering about value, this one if pristine, without any scratches
should be worth around $1,100. or so.

The 8.5x42 EL is one of best of the Swarovski models. It is the
universal distance viewer.

Jerry

Jerry & all,,,fantastic information...thank you.

He wants $1100 for them, says they are "mint" and appear so in pictures. They do have a tiny pin sized mark on 1 of the objective lens, near the outside edge..he says it doesn't effect performance. Comes with full kit, including case, neck strap & covers.

I'm waiting now to hear back from him, think I will take them...but 1/2 questions:
1)After some speed reading here on BF(so much info to be learned), it appears you can send the original EL's back for service,,,and have new lens etc. put in them,,,almost the same as SV, for a reasonable price $250ish I think...would these changes help the 15mm eye relief ?, I wear glasses and am concerned with kidney bean/black out issues.
1B)Do any spectacle wearers have problems with the original EL's ?,,,the main reason I've stayed away from Leica.
2)Does this mean the 2007 model has the fast focus feature ?

Thank you again,
Eric

Last edited:
Eric:

I don't wear glasses, but the 8.5x42 EL seems to have adequate eye relief for all users.

Swarovski will warranty these for you, but there is no need for any updates to your model, it
has the later coatings that were available.

The Swarovision model is a total redesign, that started in 2010.

Jerry

Jerry,
Very good, waiting to hear from the seller...really appreciate all of your help and thoughtful advice...thank you again.

Wish me luck :),
Eric

Just checked my 1 pair of Zeiss compacts, and they are 13mm so 15mm should be no issue.

Last edited:
Sounds a decent deal - go for it! The world of birding optics is very much fashion-led and 'old' doesn't necessarily mean 'bad'. I've been using an 8x32EL of 2004 vintage from new and I can't justify changing them (upgrading!?) to the latest Swarovision equivalent, neither price nor performance-wise. I'm sure that you'll be very pleased with them and they'll serve you well for many years to come.

Thank you very much,

Don't be put off though, the "non" Swarovision models are still very fine binoculars indeed :)

Would this model be considered the EL WB model ?, I'm just looking at the specs now.

The WB version is 18mm eye relief :)

Here are 2 Allbinos individual revues of this binocular. The 1st revue from 2014 is about a 7 year old EL 8.5x42 WB which is about the age of the one you are considering. It has 18mm ER.

http://www.allbinos.com/26-Swarovski_EL_8.5x42_WB-binoculars_specifications.html

Bob

Bob, appreciate the info....that puts my mind at ease, 18mm is no problem,,,big difference from the 15mm I saw somewhere.

Thank you

PS:My seller has disappeared on me, but different time zones and his job may be slowing my anticipation surge ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back