• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Previous post on the must have features for digiscoping? (1 Viewer)

YellowBudgie

Hi Everyone,

I know I've seen some great posts before on the must have features and the key features you should have in a camera for a good digiscoping setup. I'm trying to explain this to someone and was wondering if anyone has some of the good posts bookmarked. I want to send a friend the basics and should have features of a good digiscoping setup.

Now that I've been trying to find past posts I've read that were great I can't find them with the forum search.

I'm also thinking of creating a informal faq if anyone would want to allow their posts to be used.

Thanks,

YellowBudgie said:
Hi Everyone,

I know I've seen some great posts before on the must have features and the key features you should have in a camera for a good digiscoping setup. I'm trying to explain this to someone and was wondering if anyone has some of the good posts bookmarked. I want to send a friend the basics and should have features of a good digiscoping setup.

Now that I've been trying to find past posts I've read that were great I can't find them with the forum search.

I'm also thinking of creating a informal faq if anyone would want to allow their posts to be used.

Thanks,
Suggest you have a look at Andy Brights site http://www.digiscoped.com/

Thanks!

I'm going to type up a document about digiscoping with the Swarovski since it's what I own. I'm no where near an expert but can note down the basics. When I finish with it I'll upload it to this site and anyone can feel free to use it, improve on it or correct my mistakes. Maybe it can turn into a faq one day.

See ya,

I think I'm going to send my friend some text from Wikipedia and some various sites. I can't call this my own work so it can't be used as a public faq.

I would like to type up a document on the basics of digiscoping with the Swarovski in my own words as well as some quotes from various websites with footnotes where the text came from. It would be great to start a faq with many of the common questions and answers. I can't handle the job of a full faq but could start with something and maybe it would grow into a full faq.

See ya,

Sounds like a good idea, if it can be carried out to its full fruitation, there are far too many posts asking the same questions. There have been a few good ideas started here, but they seem to die very quickly. Good luck. Ernie

there is also a site by Andy Holt,I guess if you type his name into Google .his digiscoping site may appear,interesting,it also suggests re editing the shots etc.Basic,but just the info needed,eg do NOT overdo the zoom etc.

I did start to type this up yesterday. I'll attach it to this post. I used text from Wiki for the definition and benefits and I typed the rest. I'll need to replace that vignetting example since it's not my photo.

I do have one question about the correct lens on a digiscoping camera:

I know I am wrong in the documentation saying the with of the lens must match the width of the eyepiece. It's not really the phsycal width but how the lens angle performs to capture the eyepiece image properly. Is there anyway to make this easy to understand by having someone look up a technical specification on a camera and if the number is in between ## and ## and this is between ## and ## their camera may make a good digiscoping camera?

I don't know all the specifications. I understand what my 2 different lens number ranges mean on my camera but I can't see how these would tell you how the camera will perform with a scope.

Thanks,

Attachments

• The Essentials of Digiscoping for Bird and Nature Photography.doc
    162 KB · Views: 373
Paul Jarvis said:
Very well worded document Mr YellowBudgie.

Thanks,

I still have allot to write and need to chance the lens diameter explanation since the lens doesn't have to be the same size. The barrel of the camera I think should be matched up. Someone on this site should know the technical terms of how a smaller lens will have a angle to match the eyepiece. I'll have to make that a separate post and ask if this can be explained or not.

See ya

YellowBudgie said:
Thanks,

I still have allot to write and need to chance the lens diameter explanation since the lens doesn't have to be the same size. The barrel of the camera I think should be matched up. Someone on this site should know the technical terms of how a smaller lens will have a angle to match the eyepiece. I'll have to make that a separate post and ask if this can be explained or not.

See ya

My motivation has been poor on most weekends because of a medical condition and I have not continued writing anything.

I did find a good beginners article in one of the birding magazines. I pointed this out to my friend with the bird store. He can show customers this article now. I can post the magazine name and edition if anyone is interested. I can't remember the magazine name at the moment.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back