• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Long day! Pileateds, Piping Plovers, and more (1 Viewer)

LIme85AW11

I got up today at 6:45 am. Okay, I hit snooze. Anyway, I went to one of the best hiking areas in my state called Sleeping Giant (named for its shape on the skyline). I was there last week as well, and I didn't see too many interesting things; the birds stayed in the trees. Well, today not so much. I took a different, longer route this time since I had brought the trail map with me. Of course, I stupidly did not bring the camera with me...since last week it had proven to be a heavy nuisance, more than anything else. Anyway, even at the beginning of the trail, I saw something I couldn't identify, and it was backlit, so I still cannot figure it out. After that, I saw some flickers, some jays, some robins, but then I was walking and BOOM, HUGE bird flies across my path. I stopped and followed its flight. More backlighting, the wretchedness, but what do I see, but an obviously woodpecker-like clinging and climbing the tree motion, and I squint.........red crest...huge woodpecker with red crest is yaaay Pileated! Then I hear its call...well it's unique is all I can say. I encountered them several times, so I am hoping to go back again this weekend with the camera to sit and wait for them.

Well, after that I went to see my mom, and we travelled to the CT Audobon area in Milford, CT. Nothing fabulous except the nesting Osprey family, which is far away in the water. But I did get a far-away shot of Mom and kids. Some swans, some egrets...nothing fabulous. We hike out to the sand bars and the beach area, and I'm like, Mom, there are no birds anywhere >_<;;; But why not (aside from having already walked 5 miles today)...we walk all down the sandbars, and see that there are roped off areas for endangered bird nesting. But it's late for that, so we didn't see any nests. Then we're walking down the inlet bar and I'm like what was that noise? I look, and lo...Piping Plovers!! Amazing! They weren't very shy, so I got some decent photos with my 300mm. I will get them developed tomorrow and scan for you guys. There was also a semipalmated plover as well.

As a side-note, I saved 3 overturned horseshoe crabs on that inlet. They are not very bright creatures, but I don't like to see them just die.

I guess that is my birding day in a long-winded nutshell.

Beverlybaynes said:
The Connecticut Audubon Center in Milford: is that the place that was the home of Edwin Way Teale?

Hrmmm I am not sure on that one... http://www.ctaudubon.org/centers/coastal/costal.htm THis is all the information I have, and since I hadn't eaten, I needed to get food rather quickly after Milford (when you hike 4.07 miles and then go out on the beach and hike around too it becomes necessary to finally eat!? What the heck! ;) I swear I wasn't hungry until then). I am sure I will go back in the spring though...possibly in the fall for migrations.

They have an osprey cam though! It gets better photos than I do haha.

Finally was able to drop off the photos today (I had forgotten scheduled minor surgery yesterday and was in too much pain afterwards to drop the film off); I will have them tomorrow evening.

I've uploaded the photos to my gallery ^_^ More should be coming tomorrow...don't want to break uploading rules. If you guys want bigger photos, let me know. It's cool that I saw 2 rare birds in one day, one endangered!

Went again today......no pileateds, but lots of nuthatches and some more unidentifieds. And 3 owls. And 1 fox, 2 deer, and a downy woodpecker.

I went again today and didn't see much of interest except a hojillion Downies. I got a few candid shots of them, but one shot cost me a big fly bite on my hand >_<;;

This week I saw a number of intersting birds: Eastern Towhee (male and female mates), some immature robins, a brown thrasher I think, and some kind of reddish dove like bird. And some vultures thought I was dead...they circled me! The roll isn't finished yet, so I'll post any of the pics that come out decently. Hand-held 75-300 non-digital pictures of birds that I take mostly suck anyway, sorry.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back