• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fairburn Ings (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
The weather in these parts defied the forecast, and stayed relatively dry throughout Saturday. I was hoping to take advantage of a small gap in my "schedule" and catch up with the Cattle Egret at Fairburn Ings. However, I couldn't make it before the evening, and a quick look on the Internet showed me it had "flown high to the west" at 4:25.

So, more in hope than expectation, I set off for Fairburn. To get straight to the point, although the egret was apparently spotted again later in the day, it wasn't by me, and so it remains off my lifelist!

That's not to say the evening was a complete washout... far from it. Although nothing unusual made the list, I had a very enjoyable late evening with improving weather - it became rather pleasant in fact - and spent a good deal of time watching the dozens of Swifts.

Regular visitors to Fairburn Ings will be unsurprised to see the Gulls and Wildfowl in the list, but my personall highlights were the Ringed Plover and the Dunlin, the Blackcap and the Warblers. I have listed Willow Warbler based on the disyllabic hoo-eet call, but there were in fact a large number of similar birds, some of which may have been Chiffchaffs, but if so they didn't make themselves known vocally.

So... no egret to report but all in all, it was OK, and a list of 31 in a couple of hours is not too bad at all.

Blackcap
Black-headed Gull
Blue Tit
Canada Goose
Carrion Crow
Coot
Cormorant
Dunlin
Great Crested Grebe
Grey Heron
Grey Partridge
Greylag Goose
Herring Gull
House Martin
Kestrel
Lapwing
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Mallard
Moorhen
Mute Swan
Pochard
Redshank
Ringed Plover
Sedge Warbler
Stonechat
Swift
Teal
Willow Warbler
Woodpigeon
Wren

Hi Birdman, still looks like you had a good time, even without the cattle-Egret.
bert.

Bad luck on the egret but looks like a good time anyway. I don't know what it's been like "oop north" but it was good to go out birding here today without being blown to pieces.

So... no egret to report but all in all, it was OK, and a list of 31 in a couple of hours is not too bad at all.

Blackcap
Black-headed Gull
Blue Tit
Canada Goose
Carrion Crow
Coot
Cormorant
Dunlin
Great Crested Grebe
Grey Heron
Grey Partridge
Greylag Goose
Herring Gull
House Martin
Kestrel
Lapwing
Lesser Black-backed Gull
Mallard
Moorhen
Mute Swan
Pochard
Redshank
Ringed Plover
Sedge Warbler
Stonechat
Swift
Teal
Willow Warbler
Woodpigeon
Wren
[/size][/QUOTE]

No Blackbird - you are slipping!

I also got 1 Barnacle Goose, Reed Warblers, Kingfisher (on river), Common Tern, Sparrowhawk, Garden Warbler, Reed Bunting, Common Sandpiper, Long tailed & Great Tits + the Cattle Egret.

I very very rarely go to a twitch - I find it a bit uncomfortable being surrounded by lots of people. This was much the same but I'll go there again on a quieter day I think.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back