• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with 7dmk 11 focal points active (1 Viewer)

falconer2406

Hi looking for any 7dmkk users out there please that might be able to help with the following.
I am after some help and advice if possible. Canon 7d mk11 with 100-400 is usm lens.
I am doing an Osprey workshop next weekend and have a problem setting the canon so that ALL focal points are active.
I have it set so that they display in the viewfinder and can easily change between single focal point, extend with four helpers and all the other options.
The problem i am experiencing is that whatever setting i choose i cant seem to make any of the helper focal points activate.
For instance using the four helpers i lock on focus using the center point, the bird then moves out of that focal plain but remains in the selected group but none of the helper points light up to indicate they have achieved focus and are following the subject. Even activating all 65 focal points and swinging through an arc to follow a subject none of the 65 points other than the center point light up or activate.. I am shooting AV and AIservo mode
Any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated please?

I'm not sure if I can help in this - but, I do have a 7D Mk II, and I was out shooting some cyclists two weeks ago.
Like you, I used AIServo, and reviewing my shots (using Breeze Browser Pro with the 7D MkII enhancements) shows that within a burst and in certain modes such as AF Case 1, the active points moved attempting to follow the cyclist. In some other modes, the AF points don't appear to have moved. Is that because the camera stopped them in this mode, or was the subject the wrong sort? I don't know.
In AIServo mode, the viewfinder AF spots remain unlit. In OneShot mode, they light up with the shutter button half pressed.

What I do know, is that my success rate (normally excellent when shooting birds) was very poor, and for the next Tour of Britain in early September, I'll be using my trusty 1D MkIV.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back