• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bristol (1 Viewer)

Anjistar

hi,
I have to be in Bristol in the Clifton Downs area for 3 hours every Sunday afternoon.
Can anyone recommend good places to go birding from there?
So far, I have been on the downs, and walked the woodland as far as the suspension bridge.
I don't mind driving a little way, but it gets dark earlier and earlier, so I don't want to spend too much time travelling to and from.

Cheers
Anji

Hello Anjistar.
One of my favourite places in Bristol to go birding is Blaise Castle estate in the north/west area of the City. It is around four miles from the Clifton Downs area. The estate is mostly woodland with many different walks. A brook runs through it with possible sightings of the Kingfisher & the Dipper. Rod.

Leigh Woods is a very nice birding spot that I have visited regularly (when in the UK) for over 30 years. Cross over the Clifton suspension bridge and then turn right after about 100m. Follow this road for about half a mile until you reach the entrance on your right. There is extensive forest and lots of different walks that have good birding. Keep an eye out for Hawfinches.
Good luck

Tom

Many thanks, boys! That should liven up my afternoons for a while, as long as the weather is like today. Otherwise it's 3 hours in Borders!
Cheers
Anji

One other question, if you don't mind.
I went to see the starlings at Slimbridge this week, and they aren't stopping there this year.
Is there any where near Bristol where they are roosting?
A friend said she watched them near Burtle on the Somerset Levels, but she couldn't remember exactly where, so if anyone knows... She just said it was by a big pile of peat!!
Thanks again
Anji

Anjistar said:
One other question, if you don't mind.
I went to see the starlings at Slimbridge this week, and they aren't stopping there this year.
A friend said she watched them near Burtle on the Somerset Levels, but she couldn't remember exactly where, so if anyone knows... She just said it was by a big pile of peat!!
Thanks again
Anji

Westhay Moor,just a couple of miles from Burtle.

Anjistar said:
Anji

In Bristol there's a regular roost at Temple Meads station, and a smaller one nearby at St Mary Redcliffe church. Probably not the same numbers as out on the Levels, but worth checking out.

Mark

Anjistar said:
Many thanks, Stranger
I'll be there on Sunday if the weather isn't too evil.
Anji

Might see you there then as I will be out that way over the weekend.
Incidentally if you are around the Bristol area Chew valley lakes are well worth a look for waders and widfowl.

You could try Severn Beach too, not too far a drive from the downs. Can turn up some interesting waders etc, probabably best when the tide's not too far out. There's a good walk along the sea wall and good cover for migrant land birds too. Can be good for raptors in the Winter eg. Merlin, Peregrine, Short-eared Owl.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back