• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

“Let’s not duck the issue” EXCLUSIVE! – breaking news from the EDP

I’ve only just picked up the reference to Keith Harris (#12959), as things get rather busy when I’m slaving away at the white-board face, mid-week.

Following a tip-off from a leading bird tour guide and published in the Eastern Ducks’ Press, I can reveal that a rare and colourful species of duck has been sighted in Norfolk, birding enthusiasts say. (Is that the correct punctuation, etc. ?)

Orville often frequents the cracking Thread, a sort of stream in the shape of a massive web- or should that be quacking ?

Sadly, his long-time companion hasn’t yet been observed with him. Neither has he been seen to sequester himself within a black bin-bag. (The mind boggles as to what people do for fun, these days!)

Unconfirmed reports have emerged, indicating that a similarly lurid anas (please read that last word very carefully!) was recently shot by wildfowlers on the saltmarsh at Warham (Fluorescent) Greens. If they proved to be two males from the same clutch, they would be Brothers- Wright ?

Some have voiced the speculum (No!) speculation that it is a mutant of Green-winged Teal. Others are not nappy (No!) happy with this ID: our American cousins saying that only limeys could conceive such a monstrosity and it’s nothing to do with them.

One of its appurtenances is a large, silver-coloured safety pin. Is this some kind of ring or tag? The BTO could assist, here, by tracing any connection with Harris, in the Outer Hebrides. Indications are, however, that it would be unable to make such a sustained flight.

Finally, vocalisation seems to include a squeaky call and other sounds having a fleeting resemblance to human speech.

Because this news has been rushed out, there may be various typos, reminiscent of The Grauniad national newspaper.

The photo below depicts me- in the background- and is almost exactly the same spot that recently hosted the 2 Great Whites. No, not Sharks, silly !

Attachments

• 012pse_edited-2.jpg
    012pse_edited-2.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 108
Tideliner is a Norfolk birder of longstanding and just because he isn't sat there waiting for his pager (no doubt he doesn't have one anyway) to go off should't preclude him from posting on this thread, which is presumably about birding in Norfolk in some shape or form, not (specifically) a bird information service of which there are plenty already

if he wants to 'suppress' stuff for reasons that he considers valid then he shouldn't be knocked for it. A bird's welfare should always be the priority

from an overhead conversation at one of his regular haunts I know he knows where Redstart bred in Norfolk this year and I also know that had I asked him whereabouts he wouldn't have told me, which is absolutely as it should be

Tideliner is a Norfolk birder of longstanding and just because he isn't sat there waiting for his pager (no doubt he doesn't have one anyway) to go off should't preclude him from posting on this thread, which is presumably about birding in Norfolk in some shape or form, not (specifically) a bird information service of which there are plenty already
I agree. This is Tim Allwood's original post when he started this thread:

"good morning

seeing as other areas have their own threads and seeing as Norfolk is such a popular place with people always asking for info it seems remarkable that we don't have a thread for Norfolk birding.

So here's one.

Hopefully people can post helpful info, recent sightings, where to stay, where to get a good pint and all the other kind of birding stuff that pops into our minds form time to time as we drift through life...

Tim"

Sounds reasonably clear to me.

Ron

Titchwell Setpember 9th

A red letter day!

Today’s highlights

Little bittern – juv in reeds alongside the main path this afternoon although elusive. Present for 2nd day as it was reported as a juv great bittern yesterday afternoon - photos have shown it is the same bird!
Cattle egret – 1 on reserve until ca14:45 before flying south
Buff breasted sandpiper – adult on brackish marsh all day
Curlew sandpiper – 9 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 9 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh
Mandarin – 2 briefly on fresh marsh

Paul

Make the most of the weekend,I'm coming down on Monday for five days so everything will clear off by the time I get down,it usually does.:-C

A red letter day!

Today’s highlights

Little bittern – juv in reeds alongside the main path this afternoon although elusive. Present for 2nd day as it was reported as a juv great bittern yesterday afternoon - photos have shown it is the same bird!
Cattle egret – 1 on reserve until ca14:45 before flying south
Buff breasted sandpiper – adult on brackish marsh all day
Curlew sandpiper – 9 on fresh marsh
Little stint – 2 on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank – 9 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill – 1 on fresh marsh
Mandarin – 2 briefly on fresh marsh

Paul

very nice, little bitterns are one of my favourites! I wonder which parent/friend ill have to pester for a lift up there tomorrow

Little Britain at Titchwell

I knew there was no point going, so I didn’t- and was proved right. But, briefly misreading the pager message, brought into my mind the hilarious episode when Matt Lucas ‘became’ Orville the Duck- of recent posting. The face-on shot perfectly illustrates the delicate, curved supercilium.

I may very well visit this extremely well-managed reserve today, though, on the basis of yesterday’s fantastic array of goodies.

200 shots of the Citrine (yes, I eventually connected) at Cley produced few of any worth, as it was so active and had reeds between it and me most of the time.

The LH pic is how I first saw it, some distance away and is only resized- if under-exposed. This might help visitors pick it out, as this is how it is often seen.

The middle, the beautiful necklace and its beading: the best I’ve ever seen in this species. Tiffany should take note.

The RH, when it became most amenable- if fiendishly difficult for my non-DSLR camera. I’m quite sure (and hope) that those wielding DSLRs will have startling images. Interestingly, the machine-gun-like clatter of the (several, combined) motor drives did not bother it in any way, when I was present- in fact, it did not seem to notice.

A very well-marked, distinctive bird, though; better than many in recent years.

I presume (from the deafening silence) that no-one knows when/by whom this bird was ID’d; nor how it took two days from the first photo to become general news. Cley regulars have voiced angry bewilderment and it’s the first time I’ve observed a blue Avocet (air in the Hide).

Attachments

• 040pse.jpg
    040pse.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 186
  • 067pse.jpg
    067pse.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 126pse.jpg
    126pse.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 199
  • matt-lucas-orville.jpg
    matt-lucas-orville.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 147
  • orville super.jpg
    orville super.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 77
I presume (from the deafening silence) that no-one knows when/by whom this bird was ID’d; nor how it took two days from the first photo to become general news. Cley regulars have voiced angry bewilderment and it’s the first time I’ve observed a blue Avocet (air in the Hide).

The bird had been seen and photographed by visitors on Thursday afternoon. A 'bittern' was also photographed in the same location on Tuesday afternoon. The observers on Thursday simply thought it was a 'baby' bittern, an understandable mistake in my opinion for people with little or no experience of little bittern at a site where great bittern breeds.

I saw several great looking images (even video footage) of the bird taken yesterday before it became more elusive....would be great if some of the photographers could share with us!

THanks John for your kind comments about the reserve!

Dave

Last edited:
Apologies

Dave: my strictures over the delay in the release of news were not occasioned by 'your' Little Bittern, but the Cley Citrine (see #12944).

I am aware of the circumstances of the IDing of the LB and completely understand. It is a good lesson for us all to learn.

Your Little Bittern is a Great Record !

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I thought it was a bit odd re the cit wag too. The regulars to daukes on the evening would have both put news out and of id the bird fairly quickly. The comment re baby bittern are priceless!!l

Where on earth have all these birds in Norfolk come form? Obviously slightly retorical, but the 'influx' seems rather remarkable, especially considering the weather system! Just a decrease in wind or some 'window' that I hadn't noticed? Any thoughts?

PS lucky to get some excellent views of the Little Bittern c 2.20 today, right of the main path in the first 'pool'. This is the area it remained in for the rest of the day, having move c 50m South from the next pool that it was in this morning.

PS Just seen Ben is on thread - told you it was a good day to find a Pallid Harrier!!!

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Apology not needed! I wasn't having a pop at your post, just clarifying for people who might be interested, the time delay between first sighting and definitive ID (which was not by me I hasten to add!)

Hope you got down today and managed to see the bird(s) :t:

Dave

The Little Bittern showed really well on occasions today. A great day at Titchwell with highlights other than the Little Bittern including Cattle Egret, Buff Breasted Sandpiper, Peregrine, Spoonbill, Red Kite, Hobby, Great Skua, Brent Goose, Curlew Sandpiper, Little Stint, Bearded Tit and Spotted Redshank.

Titchwell RSPB

Fabulous day!!!

Red Kite overhead. Little Bittern, Buff-breasted Sandpiper and Cattle Egret!!!:t: Yellow Wags, Little Stint, 2 Spoonbills etc. Most of the Norfolk birders also there!

See blog for full update.

PALLID HARRIER in Norfolk too now this evening!!!!

Penny:girl:

Titchwell Titch Twitched well

As I walked north up the main path towards the sea, many in the large crowd (LH photo) suddenly turned west, as if in some kind of religious ceremony. I had Red the situation correctly, the previously pagered Kite doing a welcome fly-past, as if welcoming me back to this great reserve.

Not so the Titchy Bittern; at least for a couple of hours, anyway. Invigorated by this raptorous reception, I decided to go for the Buff-breast- which was the main reason for my visit, in any case. This was at a too great a distance for more than a poor record shot, but perfectly recognisable. Possibly because of the strange quality of the light, its plumage seemed darker than usual. (Later, on a second visit and with strong sunlight, it looked more normal.)

Retracing my steps south, I was lucky, as the (Little) Bittern decided to give itself up, in a hesitantly modest sort of way. I’m sure, yet again, that those with DSLRs will have frame-fillers with which to delight us. I hope, too, that all assembled were able to see it, as it wasn’t always that easy to pick out. “It’s in the reeds!”, was a strikingly unhelpful direction I heard.

It was nice to see Penny up and about, too: not pale and sallow, following her throat problems and invigorated after her thru-the-nite bopping to a Michael Jackson lookasoundadancealike.

Eventually driving eastwards, Cley provided a couple of lovely young Dotterel. The scapulars were most beautifully fringed with what looked like a pale blue- not really detectable in my distant shot. When the assemblage was asked if the photographers could go closer, the tenor of the response was in the negative: allowing the birds to remain, without being flushed along the beach further east- or to even fly away completely.

This day more than made up for recent frustrations. I learned more about the ‘disclosure’ of the Cley Citrine, but feel unable to relate much. Suffice it to say that, if people in the Cley area wish to receive information, then they should, in reciprocal fashion, disseminate it with expedition and accuracy. This is a view echoed by several others I spoke to yesterday about this matter; one comment being along the lines of ‘it’s back to the bad, old days’.

The whole issue is disappointing and does not bode well for the remainder of the autumn. It’s fortunate the bird hung around for a bit longer and did not vanish after the second day, otherwise there would have been much bitterer recriminations !

In line with this recent fashion, therefore, I add the following from Friday a'noon (not really, I just forgot): mini-fall at Gramboro', of 5 Wheatears, couple of Willow/Chiffs and a Goldcrest. There had been less in the morning.

Attachments

• 005pse.jpg
    005pse.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 012pse.jpg
    012pse.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 222
  • 035pse.jpg
    035pse.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 089pse.jpg
    089pse.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
To return to my enquiry some 35 posts ago, I am still no clearer on the narrative of the discovery/ID of the Citrine Wagtail at Cley.

I did learn that one was probably/possibly heard last Saturday, by 2 seasoned and reputable observers.

Unfortunately, the bird had disappeared before I arrived in the hides.

The various scrapes were holding many dozens of Pied, White and Yellow Waggies last night; most frustrating.

Judging by Penny's account on her blog, she didn't have enough to support a submission to the BBRC. Another one that, sadly, 'got away'. You could almost feel her intense disappointment.
I understand that the general consensus on this record is that is unlikely to be submitted let alone accepted. Indeed some might say that josh's single observer records of dragon's off sherringham are just as probable. If the accounts are correct re the cley wagtail and shearwater bird info in Norfolk has reached a low ebb. At least there may have been some justice as one of the individuals concerned despite his many thousands of pounds of camera equipment and monster lens, had some difficulties getting shots of the baby bittern due to his lack of height!!

Last edited:
Found Titchwell RAMMED this morning...not surprising...weekend+Rarity is always going to make it busy.
Lovely little bird though, definitely no need for a scope or a 600mm+ lens! Ironically I bought my camera but forgot the battery....Obviously my photographic talents are to be reserved for another bird!
Although I may go back for another view this evening so maybe not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back