• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland Mink? (1 Viewer)

cyberem78

sorry if this is the wrong forum to post!

I have seen locally what looks like a mink although the animal has not been reported as living here.
The animal was jet black and furry (was dry) with a slight white line down it's chin and front belly, long and thin, pointy faced and was climbing a tilted tree across a river. I was walking my dog at the time and it was quite bold as it came back along the tree towards me as I walked by.

I'm not an expert in these things - is it possible to mistake an otter for mink as otters have been reported as living here?

If it is a mink what are the consequences of having the creature in the environment as I have read a few posts on here that talk about eradicating mink - thanks!

cyberem78 said:
sorry if this is the wrong forum to post!

I have seen locally what looks like a mink although the animal has not been reported as living here.
The animal was jet black and furry (was dry) with a slight white line down it's chin and front belly, long and thin, pointy faced and was climbing a tilted tree across a river. I was walking my dog at the time and it was quite bold as it came back along the tree towards me as I walked by.

I'm not an expert in these things - is it possible to mistake an otter for mink as otters have been reported as living here?

If it is a mink what are the consequences of having the creature in the environment as I have read a few posts on here that talk about eradicating mink - thanks!
There are loads of mink in Northumberland, and I'd be surprised if they weren't on the River Blyth. They are held to be largely responsible for the catastophic decline in water voles since the late 1970s, although it has been said that the recent resurgence in otter numbers may help, because they will not tolerate mink.

Mink are bold. I came upon one carrying a young rabbit in a riverside wood one day. It stopped, looked at me from a distance of about 10 feet, dropped the rabbit and jumped into the river next to us. I walked on a few yards and sat for a while, only about 10 yards from the rabbit's body. Within 10 minutes the rabbit was gone.

On other occasions I've had them emerge from a bush an arm's length from where I was sitting on the river bank.

That's a mink, all right - I've seen a couple at various points on the Blyth, including Humford Woods and Plessey Woods.

As Alan says, they're almost fearless little things.

Keith Reeder said:
That's a mink, all right - I've seen a couple at various points on the Blyth, including Humford Woods and Plessey Woods.

As Alan says, they're almost fearless little things.

Yes, Humford is where I saw one too. Thanks for the info.

I expect the Northumberland wildlife trust would like to hear exactly where you saw it as there are current water vole protection plans in many areas.
Here is what it says on their website:
In the meantime, we are keen to hear about your sightings of the following species:

Red and grey squirrels
Great crested newt
Otter
Water vole
Pine marten
Polecat
Mink
Harvest mouse
Dormouse
Whales and dolphins
Bittern
Invasive plants
Large heath butterfly
Banded demoiselle damselfly
Bat roosts
To report a sighting, please contact the Trust by email or you can fax us on 0191 284 6794 or call 0191 284 6884 with this valuable information.

Please include as much of the following detail as possible:

Species
Grid reference
Date
Habitat type
Your name
Your address
Your telephone number
For more information on these, please see our Species page or contact us.

[email protected]

Have there been any Pine Marten sightings in the county?

I've seen Grey Squirrels just over the Border at Edgerston, thankfully the forestry 'tween here and there is all coniferous which should slow them down.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back