• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (37 Viewers)

Water levels very high everywhere. Many nests got flooded out. (Avocets, Bitterns, Gulls etc. Torrential downpours/wind breaking up nests/chicks getting cold. House Martins, Swallows deserting the area around where I live in West Norfolk, when in one particular bad weekend we had 3 days non-stop rain) Muddy areas on reserves all under water ie. not as much exposed mud for waders as usual.
BUT Norfolk is still fantastic for bird watching!
Sue

Hi Sue

Many thanks for the info. I will pack the wellies! Can't get back to Norfolk often enough, usually I make Snettisham, Holme or Titchwell as a day visit. This time I am towing the caravan to hopefully get more out of the area. Might even be able to put faces to names.

Regards

Kevin

North Norfolk 9-16 June

I've recently returned from a week's holiday, staying near Thornham. This was my first visit to Norfolk, and it was a family holiday rather than a birding trip, but I still managed to fit in some good birds.

General highlights were the abundance of Marsh Harriers (at least one sighting every day and 12 sightings in total) and Barn owls (7 sightings including 3 hunting in the middle of the day) and the chance to re-accquaint myself with common species we don't get at home, like reed warblers. The house where we were staying was close to Courtyard Farm, which has loads of waymarked footpaths and farmland birds, including at least two Corn Buntings singing at the north end of the farm.

More specific highlights:

The 'secret' Montagu's Harrier viewpoint (10/6/07)

Both male and female montys appeared after a 20 minute wait and after three false alarms as Marsh Harriers appeared over the surrounding fields. Views were distant (c. 1km) but the narrow, pointed wing shape was very obvious as the male circled up high and disappeared into low clouds.

Weeting Heath (11/6/07)

Five Woodlarks perched for a few minutes on a fallen branch in front of the West Hide, and a solitary (very distant) Stone Curlew was visible from the East Hide. There was also a Green Woodpecker feeding right in front of the East Hide until I opened the viewing flap and it flew off.

Titchwell (13/6/07)

Nothing out of the ordinary, but nice to see Avocets, Little Egret, loads of Sedge and Reed Warbers. Also heard one Cetti's Warbler and Turtle Doves near the visitor centre.

Great Ryburgh (15/6/07)

I spent just over an hour here between about 2pm and 3pm in the blazing sun, but it was well worth it. During the hour there were at least 6 Common Buzzard sightings, 2 hunting Barn Owls, 1 male Marsh Harrier, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Kestrel, at least three Hobbies were almost constantly hunting dragonflies over the lakes, and two Honey Buzzards put in an appearance!

It took about 45 minutes (and several common buzzards) before the first Honey appeared. Everbody else there (about a dozen people) was speaking knowledgeably about how distinctive the wing and tail shape were, but personally I found those features quite subtle and not entirely convincing at a distance of about 1km. What was distinctive was the deep, elastic wingbeat, quite unlike any Common Buzzard I've seen, and the fact that when soaring, the wings were not raised. The bird was above the trees for a few minutes before disappearing. Just as I was packing up to leave at 3pm, the second Honey appeared. Same distinctive wingbeats, and also, when it soared round and the sunlight hit it, the lack of a pale breast band was very noticeable in comparison with the Common Buzzards. This bird flew to a considerable height (and was mobbed by two Hobbies) before plumetting into the canopy.

Dersingham Bog (10/6/07 & 11/6/07)

As great as the Honey Buzzards were, the top highlight of the trip was Dersingham Bog NNR. I visited twice, in the evening between 9.30pm and 10.00pm. There were 5-6 Churring Nightjars on both visits and two or three close encounters as birds flew around my head, calling and wing-clapping. Also a couple of roding woodcock on each visit.

All in all, a top destination. Those of you who have it on your doorstep should think yourselves very lucky!

Attachments

• Nightjar1.jpg
    Nightjar1.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 126
  • Nightjar2.jpg
    Nightjar2.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 121
  • Nightjar3.jpg
    Nightjar3.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Little Bittern still present at around 5:00 am this morning showing quite well according to my dad!!! Needless to say I defo cant get there till saturday!

Connor

Another nice afternoon spent at the Ryborough watchpoint. Got burnt to a crisp, but was made up by seeing my first definite Honey Buzzard. Not as different from a common as I expected; in fact very difficult to seperate, with only subtle differences. Also present were 2 Hobbys, a hunting Barn Owl seen twice, several Common Buzzards, a Sparrowhawk, mobbed by the hobbies and a Little Ringed Plover, probably getting away from the high water levels. Also saw the 2 Ruddy Shelducks yesterday. You weren't stringing them then Mat, lol!

Also some good company, including Graham (Bitterntwisted).

Jason

Stunning, sunny evening and looking forward to at last going to see the Little Bittern, but seriously was expected to dip. Talk about luck, people had been waiting for 2 hours apparently for the Little Bittern to appear. I turned up at 7.50pm and suddenly it appeared. Absolutely CRACKING bird, could not believe the views I had - sat wavering on the reeds, quite happily looking at us all as if to say what the h*ll are we all looking at. Good old social gathering too, several people I knew including BF Norfolkbirder. I could have sat and watched that all night, in fact I did stay until nearly 10pm. It showed for quite a while and made the most unusual croaking/barking noise! I hope it is around for everyone on Saturday and if it is Titchwell will be VERY VERY busy in the carpark!!!!!

For anyone going on Saturday/Sunday just follow main path and look for scopes!!!

Also bearded tits and Little Gull there.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

It's the happisburgh summer solstice beer festival this weekend...

any birders in the area might fancy a pint.(it's not like there's much about at the moment once you've seen the bittern)... chance of a decent bird from the beer garden. Thurs to Sun incl, camping available. I think myself, Holly, Ilya and Dave Showler will be there on Fri night/Sat night. Easily id-able by the greyhound in tow...

Tim

I've recently returned from a week's holiday, staying near Thornham. This was my first visit to Norfolk, and it was a family holiday rather than a birding trip, but I still managed to fit in some good birds.

General highlights were the abundance of Marsh Harriers (at least one sighting every day and 12 sightings in total) and Barn owls (7 sightings including 3 hunting in the middle of the day) and the chance to re-accquaint myself with common species we don't get at home, like reed warblers. The house where we were staying was close to Courtyard Farm, which has loads of waymarked footpaths and farmland birds, including at least two Corn Buntings singing at the north end of the farm.

More specific highlights:

The 'secret' Montagu's Harrier viewpoint (10/6/07)

Both male and female montys appeared after a 20 minute wait and after three false alarms as Marsh Harriers appeared over the surrounding fields. Views were distant (c. 1km) but the narrow, pointed wing shape was very obvious as the male circled up high and disappeared into low clouds.

Weeting Heath (11/6/07)

Five Woodlarks perched for a few minutes on a fallen branch in front of the West Hide, and a solitary (very distant) Stone Curlew was visible from the East Hide. There was also a Green Woodpecker feeding right in front of the East Hide until I opened the viewing flap and it flew off.

Titchwell (13/6/07)

Nothing out of the ordinary, but nice to see Avocets, Little Egret, loads of Sedge and Reed Warbers. Also heard one Cetti's Warbler and Turtle Doves near the visitor centre.

Great Ryburgh (15/6/07)

I spent just over an hour here between about 2pm and 3pm in the blazing sun, but it was well worth it. During the hour there were at least 6 Common Buzzard sightings, 2 hunting Barn Owls, 1 male Marsh Harrier, 1 Sparrowhawk, 1 Kestrel, at least three Hobbies were almost constantly hunting dragonflies over the lakes, and two Honey Buzzards put in an appearance!

It took about 45 minutes (and several common buzzards) before the first Honey appeared. Everbody else there (about a dozen people) was speaking knowledgeably about how distinctive the wing and tail shape were, but personally I found those features quite subtle and not entirely convincing at a distance of about 1km. What was distinctive was the deep, elastic wingbeat, quite unlike any Common Buzzard I've seen, and the fact that when soaring, the wings were not raised. The bird was above the trees for a few minutes before disappearing. Just as I was packing up to leave at 3pm, the second Honey appeared. Same distinctive wingbeats, and also, when it soared round and the sunlight hit it, the lack of a pale breast band was very noticeable in comparison with the Common Buzzards. This bird flew to a considerable height (and was mobbed by two Hobbies) before plumetting into the canopy.

Dersingham Bog (10/6/07 & 11/6/07)

As great as the Honey Buzzards were, the top highlight of the trip was Dersingham Bog NNR. I visited twice, in the evening between 9.30pm and 10.00pm. There were 5-6 Churring Nightjars on both visits and two or three close encounters as birds flew around my head, calling and wing-clapping. Also a couple of roding woodcock on each visit.

All in all, a top destination. Those of you who have it on your doorstep should think yourselves very lucky!

We Do!
Sue

One reported from blakeney freshmarsh this afternoon but no further sign this evening.

Was on the point at around half 2 this afternoon,but didn't spot it. Will be gutted if it was there.

Jason

Hi James

Whereabouts at Blakeney please, do you know (I don't have a pager)???

I have a day's holiday tomorrow!!!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

The Ibis was reported as 'Blakeney freshmarsh, early afternoon'. Just had another message saying there was no sign of it early evening but drake Garganey there. Enjoy your day off tomorrow...

James (different one!)

had a look at the local Nightjars tonight

pleasant evening's stroll, a few birds present, including some seen perched up and one on the deck. Lots of churring and wing clapping as well.

A lesser Emperor dragonfly reported from Yarmouth south beach midday yesterday - then presumably flew inland. Worth keeping an eye out for if you're anywhere in the area. Last year one was reported from the cut between St Olaves and Reedham, so if anyone's out that way?

Andy Cotton has put out news of a singing Spotted Crake across the river from where he lives yesterday on his surfbirds year list. Andy are you out there i'd love to hear one, or is going to be 'unavailable' like Savi's Warbler?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back