• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How old is this 7x20 CF III? (1 Viewer)

oetzi

For the purpose of comparison with a Pentax Papilio II 6,5x21 I dug out my old
reverse-porro compact Nikon 7x20 CF III, serial-no. 540643.

I think I bought it maybe at the beginning of the 90s, but am not sure. Who can shed a light, please?

For the purpose of comparison with a Pentax Papilio II 6,5x21 I dug out my old
reverse-porro compact Nikon 7x20 CF III, serial-no. 540643.

I think I bought it maybe at the beginning of the 90s, but am not sure. Who can shed a light, please?

Hard to shed much light with only 20mm objectives. ;)

The Nikon 7x20 Travelite III Companion (Now you know where Swaro nicked the name for its CL) was released in 1991, so you're close.

It has a 7.1* FOV, which is probably on the bins, it weighs 210 grams, has a 2.9mm exit pupil and relative brightness of 8.4.

Nikon also released a 9x25 version of the TraveliteIII that same year. It also released the one that I have, the 8x23 Venturer II, which is very good. From the front, it looks like Wall-e's head. Technically, a "compact," but physically not very compact but good ergos for my big hands.

Brock

My first guess was that I got mine late 80s. Unfortunately my records didn't last as well as the binoculars have. They are still a pleasure to use and somewhat smaller than the Papilio I. They also feel better built. The 9x equivalent I had were terrible! My srl. is 547303.

Brock - 1991 seems plausible in retrospect. it just seems a long time ago.

The 7x20 is definitely compact!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back