• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon porro prism models . (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I've heard very good model Nikon 8X30 EII, and I would like your opinion on it, in relation to the 10x35 model EII
Worthwile these models , porro prism, instead of roof prism models?
greetings
Wachi.

Hello,
I've heard very good model Nikon 8X30 EII, and I would like your opinion on it, in relation to the 10x35 model EII
greetings
Wachi.

Both EII models are highly regarded on Birdforum and there are numerous prior threads on them. Try the search function to bring them up. I enjoy both bins for the high quality images, ease of handling and wide field of view. Of the two the 8x30 gets more use.

Whether they are a good choice for you really depends on whether they fit your facial dimensions, how the images appear to your eyes, whether you like the way they feel in your hands and whether the eye relief is correct. My advice would be to visit a binocular store and try several different types.

Hello,
greetings
Wachi.

Wachi,

According to Professor Higgins and Colonel Pickering, the rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain. So if you don't live in the plain, and don't absolutely need waterproofing, I don't think you can find better birding binoculars for the money than the 8x and 10x EII. Both my personal favorites.

The ER isn't long (13.,5mm), so if you need to wear glasses with binoculars, you probably won't see the entire FOV but probably still more than you would see in high ER moderate FOV bins.

The wide FOV allows you to see many birds at once, so you can study interactions among birds, and it also makes locating birds in thick brush easier. The 10x EII is so well balanced that it's one of the few 10x bins I can hold fairly steady. Usually, I need a lot of weight to dampen vibrations with a ten, but with the 10x EII, you get light weight and good balance.

When I'm back on top, back on top in June, I'm going to buy another pair or two (sold both the 8x and 10x to pay for vet bills).

The only flaw was with the earlier gray body version, which had flimsy rubber "armoring" that either bubbled or peeled if exposed for a long time in hot and humid weather. The newer black body versions have more robust coverings (although they don't cover the entire body so I hesitate to call it "armoring," and the coatings are also more advanced for better contrast.

The other vulnerability is that the objective housings lack armoring, but that's remedied with a pair of Bushwacher covers.

Buy them while you can. Now that Nikon discontinued the SE, I have to wonder how long before the EII goes on the chopping block.

Wacky

Thank you for your response.
The E II models suffer the "black out" effect ?
as their cousins, Nikon SE?
8X30 model most versatile that model 10X35?
Thanks again
Wachi.
PD.Sorry to say that Professor Higgins and Colonel Pickering, they were wrong, I live in the plains and it rains very, very little shame as we would like.

From what I read E2 does not suffer from blackout. SE sure did as I had it for a while. There is a link in the bino bargains thread for nib $369 for the E2.

From what I read E2 does not suffer from blackout. SE sure did as I had it for a while. There is a link in the bino bargains thread for nib $369 for the E2.

Hello Marinemaster,

Same experiences for me regarding blackouts with the SE. I found it to be an unfriendly binocular. I gave up on the EII only because I thought that I was too clumsy to use it safely. The EII is not as robust as either a good roof glass or the SE.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Wachipilotes ..... Thanks to the graciousness of Mr. Wacky (aka Brock) I have both the 10X35 and the 8X30 Nikon EII. Both are excellent. If I could only have one, I would go with the 8X30 because it best shows off the reasons for getting an EII. First, it has the wider FOV. Second, the lower magnification results in a greater depth of field, which shows off the realistic image scale seen in a porro even more. If you are after that wide FOV and the realistic image scale of a porro, then the 8X shows it best.

I view without glasses and have no black out issues with either EII. The SE is somewhat more touchy about black outs for me than the EII, but I am still able to use it without a problem. As mentioned, some have a problem with the SE, so the only way you will know for sure is to try one. I do not know any way to predict who adjusts and who does not.

As far as roof vs porro, it is somewhat of an apples to oranges comparison. Each present a different type of view. The roof has a more up front presentation where objects look closer, but the perceived depth of field is not as noticeable. That makes detail somewhat more obvious to me.

The porro has a more realistic image scale and greater perceived depth. I find the view more immersive and realistic. When I am interest more in studying detail, I go with the roof. When I am more interested in the overall view and the aesthetics, then I go with the porro EII. Neither is better, just different.

Thank you for your response.
The E II models suffer the "black out" effect ?
as their cousins, Nikon SE?
8X30 model most versatile that model 10X35?
Thanks again
Wachi.
PD.Sorry to say that Professor Higgins and Colonel Pickering, they were wrong, I live in the plains and it rains very, very little shame as we would like.

The SE has an optical condition called "spherical aberration of the exit pupil," which causes image blackouts, but whether or not it affects you depends on your facial features. The EII does not have SAEP so the image doesn't blackout if you don't have your eyes perfectly centered and the IPD perfectly set. Between that and the wider FOV, it gives an easier view than the SE.

The 8x is more versatile but given the 10x has a 7* FOV (70* AFOV), it's more versatile than most tens. It depends on how steady you can hold a 10x bin and the distance you typically watch birds at and the landscape.

For more distance birding in an open landscape, the 10x is better. For close-in birding in dense brush, the 8x is preferable. The best solution is to have one of each. Now that they are only a little over $400 in the US, you can get two for the price of one SE (if you can find an SE). I'm sure the EII costs more than that on your side of the pond.

So Higgins and Pickering were wrong! Well, Pickering, who was born in my state, was a polygenist who believed that different races had been created separately, so he was wrong about that, too!

Professor of phonetics Henry Higgins may not have known his geography but his grandson went on to found "Hooked on Phonics" and made million$. :smoke:

Brock

Last edited:
Hello again,
The truth is that I usually observed in open landscapes and in the back yard of my house.
I guess the 8X model will be more comfortable to use, and display a "stable" image, perhaps the 10X provide an image more "move", although I imagine that depend on the weight of the instrument, its balanced and hands owner ...
I'll think about it because I want it too short and relaxing rides and fast observations (nothing serious) the starry sky ..
By the way, I heard that the E II is one of the best image contrast !!
Thank you for your information and your mood ..
Wachi.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back