• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE Tripod adapter (1 Viewer)

Do I have carrier pigeons? That question brings up a bird story. I don't have that kind of pigeon, but one day, that amazing bird did visit my home. This was in mid summer. The weather was very warm. This was a pigeon used for racing from point A to point B. It was banded. It sat on the railing of my deck and was obviously disoriented. Probably suffering from a combination of exhaustion and dehydration.

I carefully lifted it to the deck, and my wife put out water and bird seed for it. Food and water evidently restored its vigor. It visited us for several days, and suddenly it was gone. A friend who knew a great deal about racing pigeons told me that the owner might destroy the bird because it had failed in its mission. Whether this is true or not, the thought bothered me for some time. Here this strong flyer with a sense of direction of a GPS, braving winds, raptors and other hazards, might come to an ignominious end because it failed to meet a human's expectation. Far better that it suffer a natural death.

If that is the case, I would be tempted to remove the band before it rehabilitated itself. Are there other markings on them where they can be identified?

Bob

Do I have carrier pigeons? That question brings up a bird story. I don't have that kind of pigeon, but one day, that amazing bird did visit my home. This was in mid summer. The weather was very warm. This was a pigeon used for racing from point A to point B. It was banded. It sat on the railing of my deck and was obviously disoriented. Probably suffering from a combination of exhaustion and dehydration.

I carefully lifted it to the deck, and my wife put out water and bird seed for it. Food and water evidently restored its vigor. It visited us for several days, and suddenly it was gone. A friend who knew a great deal about racing pigeons told me that the owner might destroy the bird because it had failed in its mission. Whether this is true or not, the thought bothered me for some time. Here this strong flyer with a sense of direction of a GPS, braving winds, raptors and other hazards, might come to an ignominious end because it failed to meet a human's expectation. Far better that it suffer a natural death.

I bet if U.S. football player Michael Vick had known about this "sport," he would have owned racing pigeons. He's the dumbass who used to host dogfights. Dogs who lost fights were sometimes executed or died in the pit.

Glad to hear you were able to nurse the racing pigeon back to health. I wonder why he just didn't stay? Water, food... maybe no other pigeons around? I also wonder why people are allowed to do this?

I hope he didn't meet with an "ignominious end" (an Arthur word if ever there was one!).

Brock

Sorry for hijacking this thread. But I have a problem as seen on the pic. Where can I get replacement parts or other alternative?

View attachment 553011

What happened? The ring popped off somewhere in the rainforests of Sabah? That's what happens when you keep sticking your bins in a "hot box!"

Only Nikon could provide you with the OEM ring, and it's not likely they will ship you a part, you will probably have to send the bin in for repairs. However, in the meantime you could improvise and cut some rubber hose of around the same diameter and attach it to the housing. As long as its snug, it should hold. You might use some non-permanent glue for added strength.

The other thing you can do is to buy a pair of #6 Bushwacker covers, which will fit over the end of the prism housings and cover the bare metal so it doesn't rust.

bushwacker-lens-cover-6

Brock

Attachments

• Nikon EII and SE 030 CU [].jpg
    Nikon EII and SE 030 CU [].jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Nikon EII and SE 030 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
    Nikon EII and SE 030 [Desktop Resolution] [].JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Thanks Broc and it was because the Nikon's objective lens cover quite tight and removing it each time I used causing the rubber part to detached and gone missing last year hahaha.

Does the Bushwacker part is longer than the Nikon's?

Last edited:
Looks like some prying fingers removed that end cap. Try Nikon USA repair dept for a replacement. Someone in the US should be able to help you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back