• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Point and shoot (1 Viewer)

Iron Crow

Anyone have any recommendations for a point and shoot camera? My wife wants one and I bought her a used SX50 HS that she doesn't like because it doesn't just slip in her pocket. I guess I'll just have to keep the SX50 for myself then.... Anyway, I don't have a lot of experience with point and shoots so I'm not sure what's a good model. Thanks for any suggestions!

She's looking to snap pictures of birds and landscapes. I have a Nikon D5200 and an Olympus E-500 and I don't mind carrying gear around. I think a point and shoot might be asking a little much for birds. By the way, your 500px page is very nice indeed!

Last edited:
Both Canon and Panasonic offer pretty decent pocketable cameras with big zoom, as does Sony.
The Canon SX720 and the Panasonic DMC-TZ80 have 30x zoom. equivalent to a 720mm lens. Obviously the image quality is not National Geographic worthy, but they take excellent bird shots and are super convenient for every day carry. Stick in a 32 gig memory card and they allow painless creation of a trip archive. Just remember to bring a charger and extra batteries, the juice runs low after a couple of hundred shots.
The Panasonic has a small view finder, the Canon does not, but it has better color imho. Neither is super expensive, about $400 currently on Amazon.

Correction: The Canon SX720 actually offers a 40x zoom, to 960mm equivalent

Last edited:
Thanks etudiant! I think the Canon SX720 will fit the bill for what she wants; it looks like a great little point and shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back