• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Faulty Swarovski binoculars. (1 Viewer)

Is it fair to Swarovski to say they have focus problems ?, this is the first account I can recall reading on these pages of a mechanical failure with an EL.

Its true that many have complained about Swaro focusers but this was mainly about the feel of the action rather than any problem achieving sharp focus. Lets not forget the EL once released has had no reports I can remember of diopter drift, which has been reported in Leica and Nikon models using an integrated focus diopter system.

I`v used several Swaro`s with a less than buttery action but all worked effectively, my own experience is that its a non issue now with the FP models.

Lets not forget the grey SF had an underwhelming focus action.

Is it fair to Swarovski to say they have focus problems ?, this is the first account I can recall reading on these pages of a mechanical failure with an EL.

Its true that many have complained about Swaro focusers but this was mainly about the feel of the action rather than any problem achieving sharp focus. Lets not forget the EL once released has had no reports I can remember of diopter drift, which has been reported in Leica and Nikon models using an integrated focus diopter system.

I`v used several Swaro`s with a less than buttery action but all worked effectively, my own experience is that its a non issue now with the FP models.

Lets not forget the grey SF had an underwhelming focus action.

That some folks have found EL focusers not to their liking is undeniable. That others have had more significant problems with their EL's focuser (including me) is true.

But I still maintain what I have been saying for years (and I am more a Zeiss fan than a Swaro disciple) and that is that the Swarovski EL didn't become the number one market best seller amongst alpha models by a large percentage of units having rubbish focusers.

Lee

Lee....

Zeiss are not the top seller my friend ...Don't know where you got that info from ...I'm in touch with most of the main suppliers in the UK and I'm told Swarovski sell on a 3:1 ratio compared to Zeiss..

Cheers Tim

Lee....

Zeiss are not the top seller my friend ...Don't know where you got that info from ...I'm in touch with most of the main suppliers in the UK and I'm told Swarovski sell on a 3:1 ratio compared to Zeiss..

Cheers Tim

Tim,

That is not what I read in Lee's post. He doesn't say Zeiss is the top seller. IMHO he says Swaro didn't become the top dog for no reason. The may have (had) issues with their focusser but Swaro is still the top seller.
That is what he is saying.

Now I am saying that in Holland (2017) it is 60/39 in regards to SV/SF and NV is 1. HT versus SLC is 30/70. In the past it was ratio 5:1 (green:blue).
A complete Generation grew up with green because red and blue weren't compatible. For blue these days are over.

Jan

I also think that Lee said Swarovski sell more than the others.

But Jan has seen the light.
White light that is, when one mixes green, blue and red.

I love the way Lee intervenes on these occasion's when members disagree ....Like some all wise all knowing binocular guru...
Not being funny Lee....But James Holdsworth and I are quite capable of discussing this matter without arbitration....
I actually agree with James....At this level the binoculars should be faultless. ..If Swarovski can't fix a problem they should replace it....But anything with moving parts will eventually need servicing at some point even a Alpha bin....

Cheers Tim

:t:

Lee....

Cheers Tim

Tim
I agree with your info. Read my post again and Jan van Daalen's.

Lee

Cheers Jan.....
Apologies Lee..

Although I've never had any issues with Swarovski focusers, hopefully they will resolve any focuser issues with the launch of the 4th Gen EL in a few years ..

Cheers Tim

What is not discussed is that some people are hard on optics and some not.
This is in no way meant to be offensive.

Some folks are hard on motor cars, and some very mechanically sympathetic.
E.g. family members who blew up the engines of my Mini Cooper S and our Rover 2000.
Or destroyed the tyres by kerbing.

Of course high quality binoculars should work well and for many years. Sometimes they don't because of binocular faults.

Another factor is how much use the binocular has and in what conditions.

So comparisons have many variables.

I had a 10x40 Zeiss Classic that had been so abused it was a write off. It was cheap, but actually worthless.

I agree with Binastro. ...But clearly there is a problem when you receive a disfunctioning Alpha from new without any "hard" use...

For instance my 10x42 Zeiss FL''s were a nightmare. ...The coatings started to come off after only a few weeks whilst cleaning ....And yes ...I cleaned them properly and with great deal of care ....

Cheers Tim

I am curious why the coatings would come off the lenses of one binocular and not come off the lenses of other binoculars using lenses from the same batch? QC should have been the same for all of them I would think.

Was there a period of time when Zeiss was having binoculars returned to them for this problem?

Bob

I would think Zeiss would want the defective pair back, in order to figure out why that happened..

I can't imagine that they would just shrug it of as one out of thousands.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back