• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk in central Reading, UK? (1 Viewer)

Mallinky

Pleasantly surprised to see this sitting on our washing line today! Apologies for the hastily zoomed phone snap. It seemed content to sit there for a minute or so, (watching my bird-feeders I thought!) then flew off and circled/glided over the neighbouring gardens for a few minutes, at maybe half the altitude that the local Kites operate.

I seem to remember bright (yellow/orange) coloured beak and talons. A bit taller and slimmer than the wood pigeons that normally hang around there.

We're in quite a busy residential area so this is very unusual and a first.

Attachments

• Hawk.jpg
    Hawk.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 187
Thanks both. I'll keep a lookout (and a better camera to hand) for next time. Unusual to see them parked in town gardens? Maybe interested in the melee of Goldfinches constantly around our feeders!

Thanks both. I'll keep a lookout (and a better camera to hand) for next time. Unusual to see them parked in town gardens? Maybe interested in the melee of Goldfinches constantly around our feeders!

Very much an urban bird and yes a frequent garden hunter, although they have a wide ranging territory. They either find a perch and wait or soar in a circle and then attack at speed. Their leaving card is usually a ring of feathers of their victim. I recommend ensuring your bird feeder is somewhere close to some bushes so the goldfinches and Co have a chance of escape.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back