• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Go to Kenya (1 Viewer)

We've just returned from a safari in Kenya and I'd urge anyone to go there. After just 4 days we'd got well over a hundred species and that's before we got to the Masai Mara where I simply lost track. The Masai Mara is the most spectacular wildlife place I've ever been to in my 47 years on this earth. Wildlife documentaries only hint at its splendour.
Kenya is a heart wrenchingly beautiful country and its gracious people welcome lovers of wildlife with complete dedication. Visitor numbers are down due to a fear of terrorism which is completely unfounded. Kenya is as safe as Britain or the US.
Kenya needs tourists if these fantastic reserves are to survive. Please go, you'll never forget it.
I'll post some photos next week.

The Commodore said:
..... Kenya needs tourists if these fantastic reserves are to survive. Please go, you'll never forget it..

We first visited in 1991 .... it was going to be "a once in a lifetime trip" ... but we got hooked. We've just completed our 11th visit ... and we're planning #12!

The Commodore said:
..... I'll post some photos next week.

Look forward to seeing them.

I absolutely agree with you, Commodore. I was there last year and feel in love with both the place and the people.
Also went to the adjoining Ngorro Ngorro in Tanzania which is eqally as spectacular.

Helen, you are lucky to have been so many times, you must know the place really well now.

Last edited:
I grew up in Kenya, and got hooked into birding there. I totally agree, I can think of few places where birds are that accessible. There are places, such as Lake Naivasha, where I have managed to tick 200+ species before breakfast!

Nancy said:
It must have been a late breakfast, Hanno!

LOL! But with sunrise at about 6:15 it's possible (especially if you're good with calls) to get 100+ species before breakfast at a lot of places and 200+ is entirely feasible for local experts.

We're (1) more the leisurely birder types - we don't count "call only" sightings 'cos we're not good enough on bird calls to be certain. And for a "tick" we both have to have seen and positively identified the bird (we don't keep individual lists) .... and we like to take time out to photograph and just watch the birds. Despite this we have clocked just on 100 species in a 2hr stretch in the late morning/early afternoon (not the best time for birding) in Lake Nakuru National Park.

Actually we've seen bird tours expressing serious disappointment at not clocking 100 species before breakfast ("only 80 species ..... must be the weather").

helenh

(1) The "we" being self and paulh.

How I wish I could take your advice, Helen. My sister has visited Kenya three times now (and the last visit included Tanzania and Botswana), and I envy her more than you can imagine!!

Unfortunately, I can usually only afford to go to my sister's and see her pictures! :)

I know it's a magical place, and if I should ever win the lottery, it will be very high on my list of places I'm finally going to visit (but will probably fall somewhere after England).

Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Beverlybaynes said:
I know it's a magical place, and if I should ever win the lottery, it will be very high on my list of places I'm finally going to visit (but will probably fall somewhere after England).

Kenya does have a lot of problems; the infrastructure is appalling (many roads are in a state of disrepair or completely washed away, water and electricity supplies can be cut off for days on end) - this is coupled with massive corruption in the public and private sector. Recently much of the judiciary (starting with High Court Judges) were dismissed as a result of the new government's anti-corruption drive.

This chaotic situation has led to a massive loss of some unique tracts of forest (while we were in Kenya in October the government suspended a significant proportion of the people charged with protecting Kenya's forests - once again because of accusations of graft and illegal logging). But we met with a charming and knowledgeable forest ranger who took us through the Ngangao Forest and talked with a genuine affection about his forest and the species you can find in it.

The country has some outstandingly beautiful scenery and a unique flora and fauna. And yet there are national parks which hardly ever see a visitor - we visited Mwea National Reserve and were the first visitors for a week and the first tourists for about a month (the other visitors were researching tsetse flies). While we were there we were privileged to see Crested Guineafowl (which were unknown from that part of the country and from the particular habitat).

We visited another out of the way spot (Lake Jipe) where tourists are so rare that the elephants reacted rather strongly to our presence ..... one female charged our vehicle ..... and kept charging until we were safely out of the way.

We went with a small Kenyan firm who know lots of birding hotspots that are off the normal tourist trails - so we stopped and bird watched at water holes and irrigation ditches - surrounded by cattle, goats and local car washing businesses. Often to the great amusement of children who seemed to find us better value for money than the average video game - but who all wanted a go with our telescope!

That said our guide was very careful about where we stopped, as with any country, the larger towns have their fair share of dodgy characters and we're always extremely careful to follow advice on safety from the local experts. There are parts of the country where it simply isn't safe to travel at night (armed gangs put nails on the roads to stop cars and rob their owners). There is now a drive to clear buildings and brush back from the the roadside so that these bandits don't have anywhere to hide. There are still parts of the country where you have to take on an armed guard and travel in convoy to deter robbers.

My hope is that the Kenyan government can eliminate corruption and so put more money into the infrastructure and thus open up the areas of the country which most people don't get to see.

A final comment .... when it comes to airport security Kenya really takes things seriously ..... this time out I was beginning to think that if I had one more body frisk I was going to have to propose marriage to the security guard!

helenh said:
A final comment .... when it comes to airport security Kenya really takes things seriously ..... this time out I was beginning to think that if I had one more body frisk I was going to have to propose marriage to the security guard!

You're right about the security at Nairobi airport Helen. Embarassingly, I even had to explain why my Polygrip denture fix was in my pocket!
I'm sure you're right about Kenya's problems. In the Aberdares area every scrap of land outside the park itself seems destined for subsistence agriculture. The roads are dire, although it did occur to me that they might help to hinder unwanted development. Travel with a reputable safari company seems to be the best bet for visitors. We went with Somak who were excellent. Perhaps you can suggest some other firms.

The Commodore said:
.... Travel with a reputable safari company seems to be the best bet for visitors. We went with Somak who were excellent. Perhaps you can suggest some other firms.

The 1st 9 visits we made we used Kuoni and had a great time. But we found that there were limitations in terms of birding outside the National Parks and going to some of the more out of the way places. For our last 2 trips we've used Ben's Ecological Safaris (http://www.tcfb.com/bestours) a relatively new and very small company. The advantage of going with BES has been that Ben Mugambi and his team have been happy to scout out places for us and research the routes between places to pick the best ones for birding stops.

In particular we wanted to visit the coast and stay somewhere that allowed us safe access to go walking and birding along the Indian Ocean. Ben was more than happy to book us into "Malindi Camp and Cottage" which is a family run farmhouse - very basic, very clean and with access to some beautiful unspoiled dunes and beaches (it's on the Sabaki Estuary - so you get loads of estuarine birds into the bargain). It's the sort of place that big companies aren't interested in - at least we couldn't find any that would handle the booking ..... but if you don't mind having no electricity and eating local food (well prepared, very filling and very nourishing) then this is a gem of a place.

If I had three weeks in Kenya (and I know the place quite well), my itinerary would look something like this:

Sabaki and Sokoke Forests near Malindi
Shimba Hills and Ramisi River on the South Coast
Taita Hills
Lake Jipe
Tsavo West, Amboseli NP
Nairobi NP
Lakes Naivasha, Nakuru and Bogoria
Mount Kenya

This would involve some hard travelling, but you could rack up 600+ species, including a few easy endemics.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back