• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (2 Viewers)

Half a dozen Fieldfare in the garden the other day. I'm given to understand that the apple crop this year might have been poor so they could be pushed into gardens a lot more this winter.

Female Sprawk sat in a tree preening itself today and being watched carefully by a number of Finches and two GS Woodies.

Mouthwatering glimpse of a Redwing during Winter Thrush Survey around neighbourhood this morning, followed by rare groundfeeding Song Thrush in the garden on return. Have to get the Redwings in any day now.

A herring gull spent about an hour trying to eat from my feeder, this afternoon, but it was simply too big to stand ON the feeder, and too silly to figure out it could stand to the side, as the crows do. So it kept coming back, standing on the railing and trying to dip its head low enough to feed, and very nearly falling on its face. Then, it tried landing on the feeder, but because of its size, it bumped its tail every time. I don't think it ever got anything to eat. (I felt bad for it, but I don't want to encourage gulls, so I didn't try to help it, at all.)

Also had plenty of house finch and song sparrow traffic. Haven't seen a house sparrow in a while--maybe they're afraid of the crows and flickers.

Really quiet here when I arrive in from work, however the male Sparrowhawk is constant so I guess thats one of the reasons. Today he missed his target .. a lone Blue tit so sat atop of the neighbours roof on his aerial. All was quiet until 2 BH Gulls mobbed it.

Still no Redpolls :eek!:

Along with the usual crows, flickers, and finches, I spotted an odd bird, this morning: it looked completely ordinary, at first glance, but then I noticed its feet, which had both white and black toenails. It was very early, and not bright enough to get a good picture, but I did my best--hoping someone can tell me if this is a new & interesting find, or just a defective sparrow.

It looks like a Lincoln's Sparrow...unsure of their status in your neck of the woods?

cheers

at last something different to the norm - 2 Pied Wagtails plus 37 Canada Geese low over the garden heading to the local Pool, male Sparrowhawk almost resident now, just sat in the feeder tree and shot off after something in the opposite garden, didnt see it catch but it gave chase to something and was catching it rapidly, just wish the sun would come out when it perches for a while

Last edited:
I finally saw the garden in daylight this morning, although only for around 30 minutes before I was required elsewhere. Lots of tits, 3 Dunnocks and a GSW, but only a couple of finches (Chaffinches). No goldfinches nor Siskins. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have more time to watch.

Looks more like a song sparrow to me, with that spot in the middle of its breast, and the general appearance of its markings. I think its funny feet are just a pigmentation issue, and not an indication that it's a different bird entirely.

May seem a bit weird to some, but excited to have a pair of chaffinches in the garden this weekend.

Don't see them very often nowadays, same as backbirds.

Usual suspects alongside them, sparrows, dunnocks, blue, great and coal tits, collared doves, and a woodpigeon hoovering up under the feedeers today.

Busy in the garden at dawn with multiple tits, Blackbirds and Dunnocks. On top of the usual suspects were a Wren, Treecreeper and Greenfinch, along with a single Siskin and Goldfinch.

cold night brought a few birds in, 2-jay, 1-magpie,4-blackbird(m&f),3-chaffinch(m&f),1-greenfinch,4-goldfinch,1-robin,2-dunnock, nipped out to see local flock of waxwings,great views,cracking birds,back to feeders still busy ,1-housesparrow(m)2-willow tit,1-coal tit,2-long-tailed-tit,4-great tit,4-blue tit,2-nuthatch,2-woodpigeon,and a brief view of a goldcrest,

Crap weather = lots of birds

Ever noticed that? You decide to watch birds on a nice sunny day and there's virtually nothing. On a dark, wet rainy day like today though, I couldn't keep count. Perhaps harder for predators to see the small birds making them more confident?
Lots of GTs, Coaltits, bluetits and Wood pigeons. A couple of Robins and several Blackbirds. Caught sight of a Treecreeper in the dense undergrowth, too dark for a shot though.
Our 'old' GSWs have always been wary of landing in the garden. Their offspring however aren't quite as shy. This juvenile male GSW let me photograph him this morning, albiet I had to use ISO 8000 due to the poor light:

8202147377_ab455a0c93_b.jpg

8202139583_206d3897c4_b.jpg

8203240188_dabd3b2752_b.jpg

Every few years we have an irruption of Red-breasted Nuthatches into our area. We're in the middle of one now and so my wife and I are enjoying watching a succession of these little birds coming to our feeders.
By luck I got a photo of one just as it was sampling our suet.
Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Attachments

• nut.jpg
    nut.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 91
Ever noticed that? You decide to watch birds on a nice sunny day and there's virtually nothing. On a dark, wet rainy day like today though, I couldn't keep count. Perhaps harder for predators to see the small birds making them more confident?
Lots of GTs, Coaltits, bluetits and Wood pigeons. A couple of Robins and several Blackbirds. Caught sight of a Treecreeper in the dense undergrowth, too dark for a shot though.
Our 'old' GSWs have always been wary of landing in the garden. Their offspring however aren't quite as shy. This juvenile male GSW let me photograph him this morning, albiet I had to use ISO 8000 due to the poor light:

View attachment 415310

View attachment 415311

View attachment 415312

Brilliant photos!

Jeff

Been getting a lot of Coal Tits over the past month - 9 on one occasion, never had as many at one time. Great to see them flitiing about!!!!!
Sparrowhawk visits my garden at least twice a week but generally the little ones ie Sparrows, Tits, Finches & Wrens appear to have grown wise and usually manage to hide in the hedge

Been getting a lot of Coal Tits over the past month - 9 on one occasion, never had as many at one time. Great to see them flitiing about!!!!!
Sparrowhawk visits my garden at least twice a week but generally the little ones ie Sparrows, Tits, Finches & Wrens appear to have grown wise and usually manage to hide in the hedge

Welcome to the garden thread Peter :t: 9 is a cracking count of Coal Tits for any garden so well done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back