• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Untitled... (1 Viewer)

Many thanks for your info, sir. I see you mention ink and brush. Did you/do you add a wash of watered down ink, and if so is it easy to control?

Cheers

An enlightened one.

Not done this Russ. But experiment! (On scrap paper first!)
Watered down black gouache or water-colour should also be worth consideration!

joyful stuff again - the hawfinches are just as I know them - colourful fat blobs sitting on the tops of the bare trees - one of my favourite birds, as are red-backed shrikes - the one you've got here is all about the absolute pleasure of being close to one.

Loads of Lapwings

Searching through some old artwork I'd given to my partner. I found this old painting.
I camera phoned it into sections,with one shot of the whole. These sections have inspired me to find compositions in this piece, for another picture with less Lapwings...Hmmn I wonder?

Apologies for quality.

Attachments

• Image0230.jpg
    Image0230.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Image0231.jpg
    Image0231.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Image0232.jpg
    Image0232.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Image0234.jpg
    Image0234.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Image0225.jpg
    Image0225.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 53
Like these, very strong images, with the Lapwings, crop two I find appealing. Very graphic birds, you could have fun with these.

The Three Amigos

Last November in Somerset, UK., my partner and I spent a happy couple of hours with three Glossy Ibis, at very close range. She took quite a few photos, and ,combined with sketches I did, I did this piece as a present for her.
The 3 Amigos was the term of endearment she gave these Ibis, after the film. ;)
We reconnected with them a further 2 times. Yes, they survived our cruel Winter! The last time in Spring. But were only ever seen again, at distance and in flight.
This is a piece I now realise I have to complete. Armed with reference photos of the background, it is time I now did this...:cat:

Again, I've split into sections, with a photo of the whole.

Attachments

• Image0227.jpg
    Image0227.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Image0228.jpg
    Image0228.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Image0229.jpg
    Image0229.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Image0226.jpg
    Image0226.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 47
what a treat to open your thread today....I too like the second crop,the horizontal fits well with the grounded birds...the GI standing is monumental, and makes me feel it's presence...beautiful work Phil

Thanks all for your gracious and kind comments. I also want to thank you for making me focus on re-starting this avenue and re-focusing on it. And, for unconsciously prompting me to produce new work. I hope I don't let you down!

Back from "cat-sitting" now (not very comfortable, and they "yowl" a lot! :cat:)

Hopefully this week I can get back to the drawing-board. But after finding a Tick imbedded in a rather delicate place, I think a few B :)s are needed!

Is nowhere safe these days? ;)

Fabulous lappies Phil, I've not been brave enough to tackle a whole flock so 'nuff 'spec' to you!

Mike

I really like the Glossy Ibis Phil, but I have to agree with Mike that the Lapwings really are what strike me most. There are 'society' bird paintings and then I guess this would have to be called 'high society' bird painting - a very special type of society painting.

have to agree, I am not really scared of anything I attempt to draw, no matter how much I muck it up, but my god it takes a braver man (well I'm technically a pubescent but hey-ho;)) than me to attempt a flock drawing!! especially of a bird like lapwing, which I always find fairly difficult to draw at any rate!

and a tick embedded in a rather delicate place? I was wondering where the Booted Eagle had got to;)

Love the Ibises, Phil. Any bird with the combination of long legs and long neck can be a real pig to draw. You have captured these with nonchalant ease, it seems. Superb.

Russ

"Hoopoe-ing Hoopoe."

and a tick embedded in a rather delicate place? I was wondering where the Booted Eagle had got to;)

Poland probably. Very funny!

My partner has just returned from Barcelona, Hoopoe-less!
One bird she longs to see. :-C

I did this one for her a year or so ago?

It looks like a cartoon. But as far as I can remember a "Hoopoe-ing Hoopoe" looks exactly like this...at least they did almost 30 years ago in Les Landes, SW France. Have seen many since across Europe. But never again did I see the "Hoopoe-ing posture".

I'm sure someone here has witnessed it? Bizarre! ;)

(For our New World Brethren, I only wish you could see one of these birds. They are in my top 20 favourite birds of all time! ;))

Therefore, a "stylised portrayal of behaviour"...

http://www.birdlife.org/images/sized/500/hoopoe_isreal.jpg.jpg

http://www.xeno-canto.org/europe/browse.php?query=hoopoe

Thanks again to all of you for your instructive comments, and observations on all these. I am "taking on board" everything. And I appreciate the feedback from you greatly.
It helps me to learn how my stuff is received. And I am greatful for this.

Already it is having a positive outcome on the directions I will be following next!

Thank you all so very much!

Attachments

• Hoopoe Hoopoe-ing1.jpg
    Hoopoe Hoopoe-ing1.jpg
    380.6 KB · Views: 52
thanks for the links.....wow! what a sight it must be....and the call is mesmerizing.....You could never forget seeing one of these...do you have new ones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back