• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Congratulations on awards, and an update (1 Viewer)

Apodemus

Just a quick post to say that, although I've not contributed much to the best part of Birdforum lately, I've just had time now to go through the threads that I've been missing, and there's been an avalanche of fantastic work to catch up on. Particular congratulations to Tim, Nick and Mike for your awards. Richly deserved in all three cases.

Some of you know that I was living and working in the West Highlands until earlier this year. Life dealt us a rotten blow though and I've had to give up full time work for the moment and return to northern England to support my (young adult) son who developed a brain tumour at the end of last year. He's had surgery, intensive radiotherapy and is now in the middle of chemotherapy, and we're still hopeful of a good outcome at the end of it all, but you can imagine how it's come to dominate every other part of our lives. There are some compensations, though, and there are much worse places to end up than being back in the Lake District.

Anyway, apologies for the lack of comments on your amazing threads, but it's been great working through them to see what's been happening here.

Mike

Mike,

Hope everything turns out well.

I'm sure all the thoughts, and hearts, of everyone here are with you and yours in these most difficult of times.

I do hope all our contributions on this section of the Forum will bring some much needed joy to you during this period.

All the very best friend,

phil

Hi Mike, thanks for keeping us posted, what a difficult time it must be, I couldn't even beging to imagine how difficult it must be. Thoughts and all best wishes with you and your family.

Hello Mike.
That's very grim news, indeed.
I send love and good wishes to you, your son and all that know and love you - in the hope that you can glean as much positivity in the face of such terrible adversity. Good luck to you all and hoping to see you posting more regularly as that will be a sure sign that your attention is deflecting from the rigours of your situation.
All the best!

Sorry to hear about such a dreadful turn of events. As a father of 2 (young adult) sons I cannot imagine how difficult such a situation must be. So here's sending you all the best for a positive outcome.

Mike

Thanks all of you, and I have to say that we really do gain strength from such demonstrations of friendship and understanding.

Mike

all prayers for a full recovery, and for the strength and courage you will all need to get through this....

How about some good news? In fact, the best news I have ever had in my life.

The latest MRI scan show no trace left of the tumour!

Not quite the end of the story, as there will be continuing side effects of the treatment for a long time to come, some of which could be very serious but - compared to the alternative scenario.... woohooooooo!!!!

Thank you all again for your thoughts and prayers.

Mike

Just spotted this thread of yours by chance, Mike, all my best warm wishes to your son and to all the family in this harsh times, I had to live a similar situation many many years ago and I have "a rough idea" on how much the whole family suffers!!!

Now, the main thing is all finishes up happily and leave behind the grief!

A big hug

Not quite the end of the story, as there will be continuing side effects of the treatment for a long time to come, some of which could be very serious but - compared to the alternative scenario.... woohooooooo!!!!

Mike

what a rollercoaster you have been on- best wishes

Mike

Blimey....!!! Am shocked....but it's great to hear that you've received such good news..:t:

ps....i was 'treated' to a brain scan the other day owing to a 'condition' i have at the mo....[and i'm not joking]...!!

pps...i...[because i was fascinated]...wanted a copy of the scan just to prove to folk that i indeed do possess a brain 'of sorts'...:smoke: ;)

In all seriousness and sincerity....i wish you the very best and a full recovery Mike.....:t::t::t:

Thanks again everyone.

Username - best of luck with your condition too. My son also wanted to keep a print of his brain scan just to prove to his friends that he really had a brain. He also asked for the tumour but thankfully the lab held on to that for research purposes!

I seldom get into this section of the Forum but in this case I am glad I did and I want to wish you, your son and your family good health and more pleasant times ahead of you. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back