• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

200-400mm MKI + TC query (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
Can anyone with one of these tell me if you've ever tried it with a 1.7x or the newer ED 2x and comment on the IQ. Is the lens sharp enough to take either of these TC's? Particularly interested in the 1.7 though cos it's quite a bit cheaper.

Kind thanks. :t:

Thom Hogan has a good review of this lens. From memory I think the new 2x MkIII works very well, better than the 1.7x.

Thanks for pointing me to that. It seems a 1.7 is a no-no then. Disappointing news as currently I'm getting no reach/cropability benefit whatsoever compared to what I got with my Canon gear which may come as a surprise to some and sure as hell came as a surprise to me. Sure the image as a whole starts off a lot bigger and wider but for any given subject photographed at the exact same distance as before it is the same size when viewed at 100%. So it also means that going for a D4 would result in a noticeable loss of reach for me and I'm not sure if I'm willing to make the trade off of that with the steep price tag for the high ISO gains which is why I wanted to make the move in the first place.

I feel like I'm crossing a river but I've got out of my depth somewhere in the middle and I can't work out which bank is the closest option to see me safely back on dry land.

Jaff, all 3 tcs work on the lens (just been outside to check them).The 1.4 is excellent allround, the 2x (3) is good, and will focus in good light/contrast, and when stopped down to about f11, gives a more than acceptable images.The 1.7x is also good at f8and comparable to the 2x (3) and will also focus under good light/contrast.
If I had to go out and leave one behind it would be the 1.7x, and if I were to take only one it would be the 1.4x.
Each to their own, but can't see logic of the D4 for birding, for that money a D800 and a preowned D3/3s would make better sense to me. One for reach and cropability and the other one for black cats in coal sheds.
Just some ramblings, hope it helps.
And if you want reach, the Nikon 1 v1 + FT1 adapter + 2xtc (3) + plus 600/4 is the way to go = 3240/f8 lens and silent !!!
regards David.

Thanks David. Yes I bought a Nikon 1.4x and actually have been using it for when I say the 'reach' is no different with my current body a D3x. That is what truly surprised me if I express this an equation of sorts.

Canon 1DMKIII (10MP 1.3x) + Canon 300mm f2.8 + 2xTC (600mm) = Nikon D3x (24MP FX) + Nikon 200-400mm + 1.4xTC (should be 560mm although reports as 550mm).

Those 10MP squashed into that smaller in sensor are making a huge difference compared to the 24MP living the roomy life in an FX sensor and one I did not foresee. In order to get back what I thought I would get in having the 24MP I need to increase my reach on the lens side but I don't want to have to compromise the IQ too much.

Does anyone know if a Kenko 1.4x 300 PRO will stack with a Nikon 1.4x? I realise the AF may become a little funny but it might be a cheaper option to ascertain just how well the lens can take being pushed that little bit farther.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back