• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2014 Nikon Warranty Changes- USA (1 Viewer)

Here's the bar, this posted recently by a hunter elsewhere on the web :

"Posted my 20 year old 8x30-SLC binoculars back to their home land 3 weeks ago. The enclosed letter requested they quote me for the necessary work. Repairing the broken strap attachment loops replace split/missing lens covers and anything else noticed. They have just turned up on the door step and are unrecognisable, new outer casing, new strap loops, new eye cups and new lens caps. The enclosed note lists these part No's and says the calibration has been checked, it also says remittance to be sent to Swarovski not sender. The bill 000.00. I seem to have as good as new bins, with nicer eye pieces, after 20 years use. Do you think I can get my postage refunded as well ?
Absolutely magic, well done and thank you Swarovski optic."

There are countless accounts just like this one. There may be other optic companies that have similar or equal CS as Swarovski- but IMO nobody actually beats them. And their optics are not bad either. ;)

Here's the bar, this posted recently by a hunter elsewhere on the web :

"Posted my 20 year old 8x30-SLC binoculars back to their home land 3 weeks ago. The enclosed letter requested they quote me for the necessary work. Repairing the broken strap attachment loops replace split/missing lens covers and anything else noticed. They have just turned up on the door step and are unrecognisable, new outer casing, new strap loops, new eye cups and new lens caps. The enclosed note lists these part No's and says the calibration has been checked, it also says remittance to be sent to Swarovski not sender. The bill 000.00. I seem to have as good as new bins, with nicer eye pieces, after 20 years use. Do you think I can get my postage refunded as well ?
Absolutely magic, well done and thank you Swarovski optic."

Thats basically what happened with my bro-inlaws boat binocs. Came back like new.

Once again, that's total BS. There are many documented cases circulating around the hunting forums that Swaro would make a complete overhaul of glass, coatings, armor, etc and charge the customer nothing.

Speaking of 10 years out, there's no guarantee Nikon Sport Optics or Leica Sport Optics will even be around then.

It would be interesting to know how you came to that conclusion.

Leica started manufacture of binoculars in 1907, and Nikon in 1917 and both are still with us. Swarovski started somewhat later in 1949.

Stan

To All Above: And you know who you are!

Why don't you guys give those poor technicians at SONA a break on Swarovski's warranty interpretations?

Instead why don't you call or e-mail Absam and ask the guys who wrote the legalese in Swarovski's various warranty documents to explain them all to you?;)

That is what you want Nikon to do!

Bob

Last edited:

Why don't you guys give those poor technicians at SONA a break on Swarovski's warranty interpretations?

Instead why don't you call or e-mail Absam and ask the guys who wrote the legalese in Swarovski's various warranty documents and ask them to explain them all to you?;)

Bob

I think you hit the nail pretty squarely with that comment

It would be interesting to know how you came to that conclusion.

Leica started manufacture of binoculars in 1907, and Nikon in 1917 and both are still with us. Swarovski started somewhat later in 1949.

Stan

Irrespective of their histories, one indication might be that Nikon seems to be stepping away from the high end scope and binocular markets, while Leica is slow to upgrade their binoculars and scopes, unlike either Swaro or Zeiss.
As a happy Nikon Fieldscope ED50 owner, I find it incomprehensible that they just drop the line, leaving customers scrambling for eye pieces. Marketing 101 is that it is much cheaper to resell an existing customer than to find a new one.
Likewise, if you are lucky enough to have a halo product such as the SE, don't kill it, just raise the price.
Management by death wish may be too harsh, but Nikon comes awfully close, imho.

I find out a few days ago that my expensive European binocular has Chinese level optics, and now I see that, THE WARRANTY IS NO GOOD, Damn !:eek!: :-O

Instead why don't you call or e-mail Absam and ask the guys who wrote the legalese in Swarovski's various warranty documents to explain them all to you?;)

Bob

Well, one of the reasons could be that Nikons guarantee andservice (at least here in Holland) sucks from here to Tokyo and back, while Swarovski's goes all the way (plus you get a bone for your dog!!). So why should I bother what is written on Nikons guarantee warranty when I know I'm getting screwed anyway.

Jan

Yep, some of the Swaro folks have yet to see a sub-forum they didn't like!

Seems like there has been a lot less activity in the Nikon forum starting about the time the warranty change discussion began. Coincidence? On the other hand, it was also about the same time Brock quit posting (until now).

Bob,

Just to repair the bin, Swarovski has to remove the armour and replace it by a new one. In repair issues, every time the customer says: "Did they give me a new bin?".
Sorry mate, you're now trying to F... a musquito.

Jan

Jan,

Evidently it is easy to remove the armor on them and replace it. A woman can do it without damaging her fingernails! See the pictures of Gail Fisher, Swarovski's head of repairs doing it below!

http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/2008/08/swarovski-optik.html

Bob

Last edited:
Jan,

Evidently it is easy to remove the armor on them and replace it. A woman can do it without damaging her fingernails! See the pictures of Gail Fisher, Swarovski's head of repairs doing it below!

http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/2008/08/swarovski-optik.html

Bob

LOL,

....and have you read (if I understand it correctly) that the blog lady thinks the prisms are made out of Swarovski crystal?????
I do hope she understands more about birdsB :)

Jan

LOL,

....and have you read (if I understand it correctly) that the blog lady thinks the prisms are made out of Swarovski crystal?????
I do hope she understands more about birdsB :)

Jan

A typical Swarovski Fan Girl I would venture to guess! It is a status thing!:king:

Bob

So if it was me I would not worry about Swarovski suddenly ditching their customers. That may be other companies style- but it is not Swarovski's style. ..........

And the other company is ...... wait for it ...... Nikon!

So if it was me I would not worry about Swarovski ........ IMO- they still have one of the very best ( if not the best) CS reputations and actual follow through of any company around. They do walk the talk.

It appears Zeiss is accepting the challenge and from some of the comments on the Bird Forum and elsewhere, has stepped up their game. Zeiss is taking Swarovski head on with the new SF and they apparently realize the complete package must include more than just optical quality. The primary sports optics market for Swarovski and Zeiss is high end optics and quality customer service is expected when paying much higher prices. Nikon has the EDG, but their market is much more middle and lower end. Their warranty changes seem to reflect that.

Are Swarovski, Vortex and Leupold all pretty much equal in the way they take care of customers ?

It depends on which post you are reading at the moment!

A typical Swarovski Fan Girl I would venture to guess! It is a status thing!:king:

Bob

I don't know about that status thing and if she is the typical representative Swarovski fan girl, but she better stick with writing.
She does know how to put the words on paper:cat:.

Jan

This thread was supposed to be about NIKON warranty changes but Jan and his fanboys changed it into a Swaro thread (while getting in a few jabs at Nikon), as they inevitably do whenever the topic veers off Swarovski on the Nikon, Zeiss, and Leica subforums or other topic threads. You wonder why I no longer post regularly? Swaro overdose.That's why. :flyaway:

Brock

This thread was supposed to be about NIKON warranty changes but Jan and his fanboys changed it into a Swaro thread (while getting in a few jabs at Nikon), as they inevitably do whenever the topic veers off Swarovski on the Nikon, Zeiss, and Leica subforums or other topic threads. You wonder why I no longer post regularly? Swaro overdose.That's why. :flyaway:

Brock

Ha!!!!!!!!!!

You're back8-P8-P

Welcome to BFB :)

Is that possible in real life? A Swaro overdoseo:)o:)

Good to hear from you!!!

Jan

2015 Reinstatement of a Nikon USA No Fault Policy

Nikon USA has recently reinstated a No Fault Policy. Attached is a screen shot from their web site.

This screen shot seems to be the only documentation Nikon has put on the web for the No Fault Policy. They have no page showing the Limited Lifetime Warranty details.

I called Customer Support and was told the Lifetime Limited Warranty and the No Fault Policy apply only to the original customer. The customer pays shipping to Nikon. There is no $10 charge as was the case prior to 2014.

I would like to see what warranty information is being put into the box for products distributed following this latest change. The written document is better than a phone conversation.

I was told the change is retroactive to all prior purchases. So it looks like buyers prior to 2014 now have a No Fault policy again, but no Limted Lifetime Warranty transfer to subsequent owners. This is based on a phone conversation so be aware the written word may be different.

Attachments

• Nikon No Fault.jpg
    Nikon No Fault.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 59
This is good to know. Yesterday morning my local dealer called to tell me they'd just received from Nikon the Monarch 7 8x30 I inquired about. I bought them. I just now examined the printed warranty that came with them, and it says nothing about "No Fault." I'll print the page you cite, Bruce, for safekeeping.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back