• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 5DS R (1 Viewer)

From these examples clear that does the extender x1.7:
http://www.deryabino.ru/ptaha/20160823/20160823-17.html

Distance to a bird ~40m.

40 meters is WAY too far! Unless the conditions and light are just right then you need to be closer and get rid if that extender.
This shot was taken at about half (or less) that distance with a Canon 800mm F5.6 L IS (no extender). No processing/sharpening - just good light and SHORT range.
Only use extenders/teleconverters when there is simply no other choice - closer is always better!

Attachments

• Bittern01.JPG
    Bittern01.JPG
    321.4 KB · Views: 130
40 meters is WAY too far! Unless the conditions and light are just right then you need to be closer and get rid if that extender.
This shot was taken at about half (or less) that distance with a Canon 800mm F5.6 L IS (no extender). No processing/sharpening - just good light and SHORT range.
Only use extenders/teleconverters when there is simply no other choice - closer is always better!

Mersi!
It not objectively.
You have shown a bird of 460х350 pixels in size.
My bird is shown 1090х780 in size.
... you understand a difference?

850mm:
http://www.deryabino.ru/ptaha/20160923/20160923.html

Mersi!
It not objectively.
You have shown a bird of 460х350 pixels in size.
My bird is shown 1090х780 in size.
... you understand a difference?

850mm:
http://www.deryabino.ru/ptaha/20160923/20160923.html

Yes I do understand the difference! The Bittern shot was taken with a Canon 1DX and a Canon 800mm F5.6, distance was 20 meters or less. The image is not cropped and un processed or sharpened. In other words a RAW file straight from the camera and just converted to JPEG and scaled so that I can post it on this forum. If you can tell me how to do it then you are welcome to the full RAW file!

I chose this image because it is the same species and, after seeing your images, I thought you could benefit from some assistance to get the best from your camera. After all with a 50 MP 5Dsr and a decent 500mm you should be doing better than my 18MP!

If you want help I will try to oblige - if not then I will not waste my time.

The 50 megapixels on this camera are it's strength and also it's weakness....it demands top top quality glass otherwise there really is no point in using this over a much cheaper body. The 1.7 soligor teleconverter is degrading the images very badly, but there are lighting and technique issues also.

My suggestions are:

1/ Get rid of the 1.7 converter. Despite the fact you chose the bittern to show you aren't getting close to your subjects, for most of them you clearly are.

2/ Invest in a tripod or at least a monopod. Hand holding at 850 mm is not going to give you critically focused shots which this camera body demands, and at 500mm it's still a big ask. Even leaning on a post would help.

3/ Get up earlier when the light is low and shoot with the sun behind you to get better lighting on the subjects.

You are clearly able to capture some excellent subjects and you are very lucky in that. With a few changes you could be getting some excellent images.

Just for interest - a couple of unprocessed photos of a Redstart, one full frame to give a bit of perspective, and one close up of the head...just to show the level of detail this camera can produce when coupled with top optics.

I haven't done anything other than convert them from raw, so go easy on me if they look rubbish. The close up of the head is equivalent to between 300 and 400% crop I reckon.

Attachments

• Redstart close up 1.jpg
    Redstart close up 1.jpg
    885.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Redstart close up.jpg
    Redstart close up.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 204
These shot are fantastic though. Don't understand the negativity in here by some posters.

It's simple really, the shots posted are often not very good. Just checked the last two posted and the Pelican looks to be sharp but the photo is so "in your face" when you click on the link because of the image size in the screen. A smaller image might demonstrate a better crop could have been made to allow the bird some space to fly in to.
The shot of the Terns that was uploaded previously is simply not a good shot as it's been over cropped and has lost most detail made worse by the fact the focus point is probably on the wrong bird.
Now if they were there to demonstrate something seen and as a record shot that would be fine but this thread is supposedly about the merits of the 5DS R although it's just an excuse for a personal gallery really. What I find surprising is that anyone wants to draw attention to mediocrity.

I like the tern photo very much, as well as many of the others. Thanks for sharing, Vladimir. In this time of the year the frequency of postings is so low that I am glad for every post that shows some photos.

I like the tern photo very much, as well as many of the others. Thanks for sharing, Vladimir. In this time of the year the frequency of postings is so low that I am glad for every post that shows some photos.

Appraisals of photos are of course subjective but if that's what you like looking at the Birdforum gallery is the place to be. If you want a reason to buy a 5DS R you won't find it in this thread.

As an aside, very sad to hear the news from Berlin. My thoughts are with the German people at what should have been a happy time of year.

As an aside, very sad to hear the news from Berlin. My thoughts are with the German people at what should have been a happy time of year.
Thanks, much appreciated. 2016 isn't over yet, and many worry that 2017 might be even more "interesting". I can't even imagine what happens next in the United States. I have my fingers crossed that Mr Putin takes up birding. It seems Moscow isn't such a bad place for our hobby.

Appraisals of photos are of course subjective but if that's what you like looking at the Birdforum gallery is the place to be. If you want a reason to buy a 5DS R you won't find it in this thread.
I had visited your gallery and also your flickr site, before I posted. You are a true artist, and I admire the photos you are able to create. Still, Vladimir has obviously a faible for BIF and is willing to take his camera out into the cold even in mid-December, two aspects that resonate strongly with me.

People are different. Following doctor's orders I began to walk and lost 15kg. It was healthy, but - boy, was it boring. So I bought a camera. With it came the interest in birds. Standing behind a tripod isn't for me, I walk a lot.

I can understand your point. Galleries have a purpose... on the other side the activity in this forum tends to be glacial in winter. And Vladimir's enthusiasm is a good reminder for all of us that birding is possible even when it's cold outside. ;)

These shot are fantastic though. Don't understand the negativity in here by some posters.

It's simply that there is an overload of posts by one poster linking to shots which you don't need an expensive 50mp DSLR to obtain, and in fact might make the said 50mp DSLR look fairly mediocre. A camera with such a high megapixel count needs to be supported properly to begin with, otherwise the incredible fine detail which it is capable of capturing is utterly lost.

In this thread I have tried to make a positive contribution, even tried to help Vladimir with a bit of basic advice to produce some photos which show what this amazing body is capable of.

There has been some negativity towards the 5DSR in the birding world, mainly because the large file sizes mean you need a slightly more deliberate style of photography to get the most out of it, but this is a body which is capable of blowing away anything else for fine detail....with the right technique.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back