• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds of Cork? (1 Viewer)

Runestone

I am going to Cork for a weeks holiday in a fortnight (hooray!) and wonder if anyone has any advice for me regarding what I should be looking out for and where I should be looking for it. Are the birds pretty much the same as in the UK or are there new things I should be looking for? Can anyone recommend me a book of Irish birds for instance? I had a look on Amazon but wasnt very successful.

I am going with hubby and his friend who although both enjoy walking neither of them are really birdwatchers but I do hope to get them to a reserve at least once. We plan to visit Dingle Bay and some other natural areas so I do hope to see some birds.

Thanks!

Hi there,
Most birds are the same as in the UK, but we have Hooded Crows instead of Carrions. Some species, however, are easier to get in Cork than in your neck of the woods: Chough can be found at any headland, for example.
For sites, the late Clive Hutchinson's 'Where to Watch Birds in Ireland' is excellent for the whole of Ireland. Any decent European field guide (or indeed even a British one) is all one needs for identification: my own recommendation, depending on your experience, would be the 'Collins Guide'. July can be quiet, but southward wader and seabird migration should be starting.
Hope this helps?
Regards,
Harry

Thanks Harry, that does help. I am trying to track the Clive Hutchinson book down but everywhere seems to have delivery delays and I am going in under two weeks so will try and track it down when I am in Ireland, fingers crossed. Do you have any personal recommendations of places for me to go? I am a pretty much a novice and so most things are of interest to me!

Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back