• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

film scanner advice ? (1 Viewer)

Owen

Hi guys. I'm keen to archive many of my transparencies and 35mm negatives and I'm looking into scanners, particularly the Nikon Coolscan V. If you have experience of film scanning I'd be extremely grateful for some advice !

First, I've heard the "ICE" feature doesn't work well with Kodachrome film..... Does this include Kodak Elitechrome EC 100 ?

Also, does the film holder allow you to put in a strip of film with just one or two frames on it, or does it have to be at least 4-6 frames long ?

Does anyone recommend any other machines ?

Thank you very much in advance !

Owen.
UK

Owen said:
Hi guys. I'm keen to archive many of my transparencies and 35mm negatives and I'm looking into scanners, particularly the Nikon Coolscan V. If you have experience of film scanning I'd be extremely grateful for some advice !

First, I've heard the "ICE" feature doesn't work well with Kodachrome film..... Does this include Kodak Elitechrome EC 100 ?

Also, does the film holder allow you to put in a strip of film with just one or two frames on it, or does it have to be at least 4-6 frames long ?

Does anyone recommend any other machines ?

Thank you very much in advance !

Owen.
UK

Owen: Kodachrome is quite distinct from most other colour slide films as it does not contain the colour dyes. These are added during processing. Anyway, for some reason Kodachrome is hard to scan and many otherwise excellent scanners cannot do it properly, with or without ICE. Anyway, Kodak Elitechrome is a 'normal' slide film, and uses E6 processing. Most of the slide films on sale today are E6, and hence can be scanned okay, with or without ICE. The Nikon Collscan V is an excellent scanner and should have no proble with E6 films, with or without ICE.

I have a Minolta Elite 5400 (the old model) and although a bit slow when ICE is on, it can scan both E6 and Kodachrome, both with and without ICE. IMO it is an excellent scanner. I believe that the new Minolta Elite 5400 mark 2 has trouble with Kodachrome + ICE but is as fast as the Nikon.

Leif

Nikon Coolscan 1V

Hi Owen, when I went over to digital I bought a Coolscan 1V, which has a separate setting for Kodachrome and also ICE. Although ICE does work, you do have to make sure that your slides are free of large amounts of dust with any scanner. Mine has seen very little use and is about to go up for sale at £250, if you are interested please let me know. The strip holder and feeder have never been used and the scanner is in mint condition with all software and lead.
Cheers, John

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back