• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indigo Bunting carving (1 Viewer)

Hi Everyone!

Here's my latest project. Male Indigo Bunting. Branch is carved from solid brass and leaves are brass sheeting. IB is tupelo gum. Painted with acrylics. First free standing piece I've done but like the look of it. Delicate look to it. Amazing how much work goes into such a project. But I whistle while I work so that's a good sign that I must like what I'm doing! This was done for a collector here in WI that called me one day and said, "I want you to carve one of each bird I've seen in my backyard." I was happy. |=)|

Attachments

• left side turned.jpg
    left side turned.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 133
  • left side profile.jpg
    left side profile.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 162
Wow, wish I were that collector. An excellent piece of art. :up:

Nice going Marc. That carving looks fantastic ! - You are an inspiration to a beginning carver such as myself. :clap: :clap:

Well done, Marc - I can understand why you would be happy with the commission, but your patron will be extremely happy he chose you to do the work. Tremendous, Sir.
ps. - are you going to keep going to his yard to find more birds for him? ;)

Thanks for the kind words!

Tim, I already told the lady that if she saw someone lurking around in the bushes in her backyard at night to not call the cops! HA! Told her I had a shipment of rare birds being delivered. She got a kick out of that. She's a true birding fanatic and been talking of a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, Baltimore Oriole, Brown Thrasher, Nuthatch, Goldfinch, Scarlet Tanager, Blue Jay and the Chickadee I'm starting now. And has talked about doing a few pairs of birds too like the male and female interacting. Fun project for sure.

Beautiful Marc.....your collector will be thrilled!!
What actually is tupelo gum,is it modelled and then fired like clay??
Best wishes,

Ruth Daniel said:
Beautiful Marc.....your collector will be thrilled!!
What actually is tupelo gum,is it modelled and then fired like clay??
Best wishes,

Tupelo gum is a wood found down south in the bayous and swamps of the USA. Very even grained wood.

Thanks for the kind words!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back