• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aldi ,Scope (1 Viewer)

I’ve just been having a little play with the scope. I’ve only ever looked through a couple of scopes before so I’m no expert. At the 20 end its quite sharp, and at the 60 end it does seem slightly soft but useable. In my opinion, and remember I’ve never used scopes many times before; you really can’t go wrong for the price. If I find I enjoy using a scope I may then invest in a more expensive model.

John

Well I went and got one :) The name on the scope is "Traveller".

The first bird I saw today with it was a Merlin at Aust Wharf.

Here's my first ever digiscoped pictures.

Merlin at Aust Wharf (bit windy)

Telegraph pole at camera max zoom.

Telegraph pole through scope.

Severn Bridge from Aust Wharf (1500m)

PS Plenty left at Aldi, Southmead Bristol.

Attachments

• aust merlin windy.JPG
    aust merlin windy.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 426
  • max zoom with ixus 700 subject 100m .JPG
    max zoom with ixus 700 subject 100m .JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 341
  • same subject digi through aldi scope.JPG
    same subject digi through aldi scope.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 355
  • severn bridge digi 1500m.JPG
    severn bridge digi 1500m.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
My wife wasn't too happy at me buying another scope - "You don't use the one you've got much". :C

Once I'd explained that I use a binocular more because I keep one in the car and my scope was too valuable to leave in the car all the time she relented. I've bought one, it is remarkably good for the price, even giving my original scope a run for it's money in bright conditions, and it will have it's home in my boot (trunk, if you're across the pond). If it gets lost/damaged it's only £24.99 If it stops working for any other reason it's guaranteed for 3 years.

If I'm going on planned trips I'll definately (probably [maybe]) take and use my good scope. ;)

DW

Last edited:
Managed to reduce the size of the brown ring by pulling out the extending hood over the objective lens, which wasn't on the instructions and made me think it was broken for a minute. Certainly a lot of magnification there, although I'm still getting used to having an angled scope compared with the 'point and look' of a straight-through. Depth of field isn't as good as the Tasco and if you can't remember how far away the last object you looked at was, you can get a bit lost trying to focus it. If the light's good, I might try a sopt of digiscoping tomorrow.
I'm happy!

Edit: After looking at the weather, looks more like Wednesday...

Last edited:
colonelboris said:
Managed to reduce the size of the brown ring by pulling out the extending hood over the objective lens, which wasn't on the instructions and made me think it was broken for a minute. Certainly a lot of magnification there, although I'm still getting used to having an angled scope compared with the 'point and look' of a straight-through. Depth of field isn't as good as the Tasco and if you can't remember how far away the last object you looked at was, you can get a bit lost trying to focus it. If the light's good, I might try a sopt of digiscoping tomorrow.
I'm happy!

Edit: After looking at the weather, looks more like Wednesday...
Glad you like it Tony seems to be a lot of positive feedback about looks like a bargins been had by all in the cheap scope stakes cool!

Henry B said:
£70 quid I don,t beleeeeve it. :brains:

They were sold out in minutes near me.I made the error of sending a "rude" email to some of the ebay sellers. I was told that I should have got up instead of laying in bed - bit rich as I was up at the break of dawn in order to get my kids to swimming as opposed to stopping others the opportunity of getting their kids a bargain in order to rip them off on ebay! :storm:

Paul

colonelboris said:
Managed to reduce the size of the brown ring by pulling out the extending hood over the objective lens, which wasn't on the instructions
Thanks for that tip, just checked it our and sure enough it goes. Even happier now than before. Hope you manage to get out before Wednesday.

@colonelboris

Whats the "BRown Ring" on the scope and how do you remove it ?

Should a complete novice do this? I assume, it's around the eyepiece. Have you got any piccy/s of the procedure ?

Cheers for now,

RT

I think the 'brown ring' is a reflection or something visible when the scope's sun shade is not extended. It's not a physical thing.

scampo said:
I think the 'brown ring' is a reflection or something visible when the scope's sun shade is not extended. It's not a physical thing.

I thought it may be some sort of washer or something at the eyepiece end.

Perhaps the other people mean they have removed sun shade ?

I'm not touching anything on it until I'm dead certain.

Red Thunder said:
@colonelboris

Whats the "BRown Ring" on the scope and how do you remove it ?

Should a complete novice do this? I assume, it's around the eyepiece. Have you got any piccy/s of the procedure ?

Cheers for now,

RT

Ah, sorry - I should have made that clearer - when you look into the eyepiece, around the image there's a browny-orange glare. Most likely due to the fact that it's a bit cheaper, but by pulling the hod out on the end of the scope, it reduces it a lot. The hood isn't mentioned on the instructions - I only found it after realising that the lens cap wasn't in the same position as a few minutes before. If you hold the last part of the scope with the lens cap attached and pull it gently, it should extend and stop a lot of the glare.
Hope that helps,

Tony

colonelboris said:
Ah, sorry - I should have made that clearer - when you look into the eyepiece, around the image there's a browny-orange glare. Most likely due to the fact that it's a bit cheaper, but by pulling the hod out on the end of the scope, it reduces it a lot. The hood isn't mentioned on the instructions - I only found it after realising that the lens cap wasn't in the same position as a few minutes before. If you hold the last part of the scope with the lens cap attached and pull it gently, it should extend and stop a lot of the glare.
Hope that helps,

Tony

Thanks Tony.

I thought I was going have to operate on the scope for a moment :) Pheww.

Might have to go back to Aust Wharf later and see if I can get a better picture of that Merlin :) "With me Hoodie On ;-) of course.

Yup - slight amount of brown ring in 3. As Henry says, a spot of vignetting, which can be sured by zooming the camera in a bit more and making sure it's aligned exactly. Nice focus on those shots, though - I'd be chuffed!

colonelboris said:
Yup - slight amount of brown ring in 3. As Henry says, a spot of vignetting, which can be sured by zooming the camera in a bit more and making sure it's aligned exactly. Nice focus on those shots, though - I'd be chuffed!

Thanks for the praise :)

I worked out the better shots must be on macro. The camera used was a Canon IXUS 700 just held against the eyepiece.

Spotted a nice lens for my SLR, then discovered it was nearly 6 grand. I'll wait till Aldi do SLR lenses ;-)

This scope is great for my casual bird watching. Plus living 200meters from the River Severn is an advantage for viewing waders etc. The scope is so much better for this type of bird.

I've already started looking at other scopes... Eeek ... Am I addicted already ?

Hi there to everyone on this board and especially to Henry B. I'm the store manager at Aldi Elgin and would like to let you know that when these scopes went on sale , I had one returned later that afternoon. The lady that took it back said that she couldn't get it to focus properly so I gave her a refund for it. I read your post last night and went into the store today to have a look at them. Now i'm no bird watcher and have never had occasion in the past to use binoculars but I could get them to focus fairly clearly in my warehouse from one end to the other, approx 70 feet, enough to read the writing on some cases of stock. What I'm trying to say is that if you are intersested , you are more than welcome to come along and purchase them with the confidence that if they are not what you want then you will be assured a full, no quibble refund.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back