• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ireland in late September (1 Viewer)

Cubkin

Cubkin
My husband and I will be spending a couple weeks in Ireland (as much of it as possible) in late September/early October, 2007. We'd appreciate any suggestions about what to see and where at that time of year. Thanks!

Hi Cubkin,

Both Northern and Southern (Republic of) Ireland have some excellent and very beautiful places to visit, whether your birding or not. Im presuming your request is for places to see birds. Ive just been to Northern Ireland for 2 weeks and got the chance to visit the WWT's centre in Castle Espie, Strangford Lough. A beautiful place to see birds and relax in general. Try this link for more info on other places in Northern Ireland: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=80040

Im not too sure what Southern Ireland has to offer in the way of birding sites; Birdforum user Clive Timmons is from that part; Im sure he wouldnt mind filling you in with some good suggestions! :) Also this forum youve posted in has some superb recommendations: http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=400

Hope you get sorted,

Last edited:
Hi Cubkin
There'll be plenty to see in Sep/Oct with the winter migrants making their way back. What part of Ireland are you visiting?

Ray

Hi Cubkin,

I am living in Ballycotton in Co Cork itself a world renowned birding area.If you let me know what parts of Ireland you are visiting I will tell you where the best birding sites are.Also if there are particular birds you want to see let me know. My email is [email protected].

All the best,

Phil.

Great time to visit. Try seabirds at one of the coastal points in the SW or W coast. Then theres waders, great chance of a rarity from the states as well is passerines too....

As the others have said, it depends really where you're staying regarding species. You won't be disappointed though, you are heading into a good time, birding-wise. If you are in Dublin or east coast, you can PM me if you like. Phil's Cork would probably be the best though for variety!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back