• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D Mk II is announced and available for pre-order (1 Viewer)

Ok. A bird appeared so I did a bit of pointing and shooting. A dull day and no particular thought gone into the camera settings but since it was just a few minutes test and I am unfamiliar with Canon cameras, this is not bad for a starter. Not super fantastic but ok.

Attachments

• Blackbird female 2.jpg
    Blackbird female 2.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 150
Here's a few 100% (more or less as some were scaled down to 1600 pixels when they were slightly higher) crops of some of the images. The files are as large as permitted on BF.

Cheers

Pete

Just to put the above crops in context - here's the same images, cropped to view the whole subjects...

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• SSE1.jpg
    SSE1.jpg
    514.2 KB · Views: 100
  • pintail.jpg
    pintail.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 88
  • WTE.jpg
    WTE.jpg
    665.8 KB · Views: 95
  • WS.jpg
    WS.jpg
    454.9 KB · Views: 74
  • wnc.jpg
    wnc.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 83
I have just been reading the on-line 7d2 manual which is sad I know. It is also dangerous to the wallet! Anyway, I am intrigued with the Case options in the AF menu. Where in the viewfinder/top screen/back screen does it show which Case has been selected. I can see everything else but how do you know which Case has been selected without using the Menu button and the AF drop down menu?

I seethe 7D is now priced just under £1100 at panamoz and wondered if anyone has used them before and had good or bad experience with them

many thanks

I seethe 7D is now priced just under £1100 at panamoz and wondered if anyone has used them before and had good or bad experience with them

many thanks

A couple of people on here have used them and had good results as one of them had a bad copy and panamoz changed it no problem

dave

Hi I have the 7d MKII been out with it and a good few occasions now, I am very impressed with the quality and performance of the camera. I have to say a huge improvement on the 7D MKI which I had before.

I have just been reading the on-line 7d2 manual which is sad I know. It is also dangerous to the wallet! Anyway, I am intrigued with the Case options in the AF menu. Where in the viewfinder/top screen/back screen does it show which Case has been selected. I can see everything else but how do you know which Case has been selected without using the Menu button and the AF drop down menu?

OK, I have found the answer on a photography forum. Apparently the Case number is not shown in any of the screens. Others have pondered on this and it is on some peoples wish list.

Rented a 7Dmkii for a couple of weeks to give it a try. Third day I have used it and starting, I hope, to figure things out. Lot of throw aways, but a lot of really nice shots too.

2 questions
I am primarily using Case 1. Should I be switching to another Case when shooting BIF? Here is one from today. I have adjust tracking sensititvey to +2, Accel/decl tracking +1 AF pt auto switching +1. Lots of throw aways BIF and its probably just me. Can i get more consistant results like this with another case

Also am I correct that I can use battery from original 7D

Attachments

• BIF 1 3-30-2015.jpg
    BIF 1 3-30-2015.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
2 questions
I am primarily using Case 1. Should I be switching to another Case when shooting BIF? Here is one from today. I have adjust tracking sensititvey to +2, Accel/decl tracking +1 AF pt auto switching +1. Lots of throw aways BIF and its probably just me. Can i get more consistant results like this with another case

Also am I correct that I can use battery from original 7D

Nice Laughing Gull shot. Case 2 or 3 are recommended for BIF, I use 2. Yes, the 7D battery works. You'll find the Mark II more battery hungry than the 7D.

Last edited:
Rented a 7Dmkii for a couple of weeks to give it a try. Third day I have used it and starting, I hope, to figure things out. Lot of throw aways, but a lot of really nice shots too.

2 questions
+2, Accel/decl tracking +1

Personally, I go for -2... i.e. you don't want the camera to be distracted from what you are following.

May or may not help?

Cheers

Pete

Been trying out the 7dii and 100-400ii on a few common birds today. It definitely takes some effort to get pin sharp shots, but amongst many near misses were some quite pleasing results.

Cheers B :)

Pete

Attachments

• 016 LTT1 web.jpg
    016 LTT1 web.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 015 Robin 1 web.jpg
    015 Robin 1 web.jpg
    536.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 014 Coal Tit 1 web.jpg
    014 Coal Tit 1 web.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 006 YH4 web.jpg
    006 YH4 web.jpg
    851.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 012 BT1 web.jpg
    012 BT1 web.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 139
Why do you say it takes much effort to get sharp shots like that? Is the IS unpredictable? Or is there too much mirror vibrations?

I think a combination of factors, mostly my problems, but small moving birds, not great light and, as the birds were close and moving, the need for precise focus on the head. Problems that would probably affect any set up if I was using it in the same conditions. Maybe not a criticism of the gear, but a realization that at times we expect too much, and effort is required!

Cheers

Pete

Why do you say it takes much effort to get sharp shots like that? Is the IS unpredictable? Or is there too much mirror vibrations?

I don't think that mirror vibration is a problem anymore. The new mirror damping system on the MK2 is very efficient, way quieter than my 5D3. A great prospect for the next generation of Canon bodies. I think that I have pointed out several times in the past that it is the 7D2's extremely small pixel pitch that magnifies camera and subject movement. Using a long lens combo I have noticed that I have been getting a high proportion pictures with head and foot movement even at shutter speeds as high as 1/2000 sec. The full frame 5D is usually OK at 1/250 sec. Shooting at 10 fps you are never going to use half of the pictures anyway so a few losses are not a problem. The more lax your technique the higher the wastage rate is going to be.

Been trying out the 7dii and 100-400ii on a few common birds today. It definitely takes some effort to get pin sharp shots

Cheers B :)

Pete
I know its difficult to tell from web size images Peter but from everything I have seen and read both the 7D2 and 100-400 MkII are better than the original versions so I am surprised that you find it difficult to get pin sharp shots. I take it you do not recommend the combo then!

I don't think that mirror vibration is a problem anymore. The new mirror damping system on the MK2 is very efficient, way quieter than my 5D3. A great prospect for the next generation of Canon bodies. I think that I have pointed out several times in the past that it is the 7D2's extremely small pixel pitch that magnifies camera and subject movement. Using a long lens combo I have noticed that I have been getting a high proportion pictures with head and foot movement even at shutter speeds as high as 1/2000 sec. The full frame 5D is usually OK at 1/250 sec. Shooting at 10 fps you are never going to use half of the pictures anyway so a few losses are not a problem. The more lax your technique the higher the wastage rate is going to be.
I agree with most of this David although the pixel pitch is not a lot smaller than the original 7D so I am not sure why this should be a particular problem with the 7D2 particularly for anyone that got sharp shots with the 7D1!

many thanks

Bought mine from them very recently at £1090.Was going for the BACS payment offer of £1035 but chickened out and went for Paypal which gives you some protection.

Arrived all the way from the far east in 4 days via UPS.No problems.

Only problem I had was I was never able to speak to them on the phone but e-mails were answered promptly.

Max

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back