• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon T3i vs XS 50 (1 Viewer)

Hi folks,

I am doing some research for my first camera to use principally for birding but I imagine I would use it for regular photos when my wife and I take trips. I've been looking into the Canon T3i and the Canon XS 50 and found that these are two very respectable cameras, however, I am unsure of their benefits over one another. I understand one is a lower-end SLR, while the other is a bridge camera but does anyone have any advice on which could be better for my needs? My knowledge of cameras is very primitive so I would like this camera to be as user-friendly as possible. Thanks in advance for your input!

Hi there,

The T3i (badged as a "600D" in Europe) is a DSLR. I assume you would be buying this with a typical standard kit zoom lens, such as 18-55mm or maybe an 18-135mm. Whilst this would be fine for general photos, family shots and holidays/travel, you would need to buy an additional (longer) lens for bird photos. You would really need something like a Canon 400mm f5.6 lens - this will cost you considerably more than the T3i camera! Check out prices on Ebay or Amazon.

On the other hand, if you buy the Canon SX50 bridge camera, this will provide all the magnification you need for bird photos and will also be absolutely fine for general use (family, travel, holidays etc).

The DSLR will ultimately provide better quality photos due to its larger sensor and you can buy further (better) lenses as you go along. A T3i with a $1,000+ lens on the front will outperform the SX50.

The drawback with the SX50 is that you cannot upgrade it with further lenses and it has a much smaller sensor than the DSLR.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
Nick

Last edited:
My two cents; finding birds (especially small ones) with a camera can be a challenge. The field of view when zoomed out to 50, 40, even 20X, is a lot smaller than it is with 8 or 10x bins. The SX50 has a user-friendly function called "frame assist" that retracts the lens with the push of a button, giving a wider field of view. Once the bird's been located, releasing the button zooms the lens back out for the tight shot.

If you do end up going with the SX50, the "Canon SX50 Specs" thread is a valuable resource. It's long, but a forum member recently put together an index which you can see here;
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3183295&postcount=1856
Crazyfingers' settings are a good starting point for someone new to the camera.

I don't know if any are still available, but Canon was offering refurbished SX50s for around 200 (US) dollars not long ago, and people who have purchased them have been quite happy. The consensus seems to be that they're not heavily used cameras but returns, that are given a thorough going over by Canon techs before resale (with a warranty.)
If your initial investment is minimal, and you later decide you really need/want a DSLR rig for birds, a bridge camera could still serve you well for travel, family outings, etc.

A quick Google shows that there are still some around. Amazon has some. Canon has some. B&H does. Some others. Though supplies do appear to be getting low.

This is a difficult one. I have both a 600D, and an SX40 HS (the immediate predecessor to the SX50 HS). For bird photos of undemanding birds, the SX50 HS will provide better results, simply because of its reach. However, if the bird is in any way demanding, expect to be disappointed much of the time. My SX40 HS has a mind of its own, particularly with regard to just when* the photo is taken. OTOH, my 600D can take any of my long Canon lenses, and deliver some good shots, indistinguishable from those taken with my pro level bodies. BUT, those long lenses cost much more than a 600D.

*I've yet to see any reviews suggesting that this "feature" has been much improved from my model to the SX50HS.

My advice: go for the SX50 HS, and get some experience. You'll then be in a better position to appreciate where to spend your money.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I have been researching different options in my price range and think the Canon SX50 would be a good choice for my needs. This will be a good camera to get me started to see how I like the photography part or birding. I'm just browsing online now to wait for a good deal, unless I can find a nice used one. Thanks folks!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back