• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brown headed cow bird (1 Viewer)

Elizabeth Bigg

Addicted member
I heard something on the radio this morning, saying this bird has been noticed co-ordinating its song with wing and body movements, ending the performance with a little bow!! Has anyone seen this?

Michael Frankis said:
Should that be a Brown-headed Bullbird?
Is this a Ruffled feathers type thread.I have just looked in two bird books,and cannot find any mention of a Brown headed cow/bull bird:eek!: .
Am I ,as usual ,missing something here?
Christine.

christineredgat said:
Is this a Ruffled feathers type thread.I have just looked in two bird books,and cannot find any mention of a Brown headed cow/bull bird:eek!: .
Am I ,as usual ,missing something here?
Christine.
Brown-headed Cowbird is a very common American bird: try an American bird book! ;)

It is chiefly known for being the American equivalent of our cuckoos - they lay their eggs in other birds' nests (quite a problem for some endangered species which suffer their attentions).

It is called cowbird, because they feed around cattle, much like Cattle Egrets, feeding on insects disturbed by the grazing cows. 'Bullbird' was a joke, of course.

Michael

Thanks,Michael,because Elizabeth mentioned it,I thought it was in this country,fool!!(me ,Elizabeth,not you).I'll pop across to Google and find a photo.
Christine.
Google not working,so will try later

Last edited:
I heard this on BBC Radio London this morning, & the girl reading the news broke up everytime she tried to read the story. Danny Baker even bet her a fiver she couldn't read the whole thing without cracking & she got about half way through! Well, little things and all that!

Found a Male and Female on the Google Images.
Christine.

Attachments

• cow bird 1.jpg
    cow bird 1.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 130
  • cow bird 2.jpg
    cow bird 2.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 113
I was only half awake when I heard this on the radio this morning (in bed, via headphones) - I had to work out a word association "trick" to help me to remember it later, I'll leave it to the imagination! :eek!:

And I've seen that behavior, too!

It's apparently a display/threat behavior. I was sitting in the feeder watching room at Muscatatuck, where the glass is the kind that the birds cannot see through.

A cowbird perched on the windowsill, where he could apparently see his reflection. He'd stand very still, and very slowly, he'd appear to grow larger and larger, as he fluffed up his feather in an attempt to appear bigger. All of a sudden, he'd rouse, shivering/shaking all over, dipping his head toward the reflection (the other bird, in his mind), and giving this odd call that I can only describe as a musical version of a watery 'plunk'.

I watched him do this five or six times before he decided he had better things to do than threaten the 'other bird'.

It was absolutely hilarious!

Cowbirds are back in our neighborhood. Several males chase a female, then sort of sing to her. She flies off, they chase her. Mating rituals. No nest needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back