• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BRILLIANT NEWS amongst all the doom and gloom (1 Viewer)

deborah4

To all our Members, Contacts and Objectors: Allt Dearg Wind Farm Rejected

AWF are delighted to let you know that npower renewables planning application for Allt Dearg wind farm, which would have overlooked Loch Fyne, was rejected by Argyll & Bute Council at a special hearing on Tuesday. Following presentations by the Councils Planners, Scottish Natural Heritage, RSPB (Scotland), AWF & several independent objectors the committee voted 6-4 to follow their planners advice and reject the application. The chairman had intimated he was against the proposal, but his vote was not required. There were 650 objections from Argyll and 750 from the rest of Scotland, the UK and around the World. We thank you all for helping stop this most insensitively sited of wind farms. Next week will see a decision on Stacain wind farm in North Argyll. We will let you know the outcome of that hearing in due course.

Thank You Once Again,

Alan Stobie
On Behalf of the directors of AWF

While keeping you informed, AWF respect your privacy

That's great I hate seeing those stupid windmills messing up wild places. I wonder, though, if anyone, such as the RSPB, who is involved in objecting to windfarms has identified areas where windfarms wouldn't have a major impact on birdlife? Unless this happens we run the real risk of just being labelled as NIMBYs.

Not In My Back Yard?

I don't think that the description fits the project in question for many of us. It was in the backyard of almost no-one, but reason prevailed. No need to manufacture guilt.

I wonder, though, if anyone, such as the RSPB, who is involved in objecting to windfarms has identified areas where windfarms wouldn't have a major impact on birdlife?

Probably the central areas that aren't windy enough anyway?

Makes one wonder, how many Golden Eagle deaths per year are we willing to accept in the name of renewable energy? Ten? Two? None at all? What? I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions.

I received the letter as well. Sadly I had this email this morning.

"Dear all,

It is with some sadness that we have to inform you that the planning application for Stacain Wind Farm, overlooking Loch Awe in North Argyll, was recently approved at a local hearing by the Lorn, Oban and the Isles Area Committee of Argyll and Bute Council. Despite valiant efforts by Avich & Kilchrenan community council, after what has been described as an intimidating hearing in which the local laird got all the estate workers to turn out in support, the committee passed the application 6-2. Despite what you may have heard all your objections were counted, but sadly this was not enough to make a difference. If Argyll and Bute Council protective services and licensing committee pass the application, and they have never turned down an Area Committees resolution before, then only a 'call in' by the Scottish Executive will prevent an imminent disaster.

With five golden eagle nests in the immediate area and a predicted kill rate of one golden eagle a year, there were very strong objections from Scottish Natural Heritage and RSPB. We would hope a 'call in' is a very strong possibility, but you can never be sure.

If you feel a sudden urge to write to someone; at this stage we suggest Dick Walsh, Argyll and Bute Council leader [email protected], Stephen Austin [email protected] at SNH & or Andrew Robinson [email protected] at RSPB.

A very sad result, but not the end of Stacain yet.

Alan Stobie
On Behalf of the directors of AWF"

So to answer James Owens question....at least one a year maybe more.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back