• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK/Two eggs for ID please (1 Viewer)

gradders52

A friend sent this image to me, I have tried to make it about same size (not far off going by the coin). Found near a 'twiggy nest'. Realise shells can 'move'.
Any ID please?
Thanks
g

Attachments

• Mags eggs.jpeg
    Mags eggs.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 139
A friend sent this image to me, I have tried to make it about same size (not far off going by the coin). Found near a 'twiggy nest'. Realise shells can 'move'.
Any ID please?
Thanks
g

white one could be a Woodpigeon,the other looks like a Pullets egg.maybe partride

I dont know ...but the general law on here is dont ask questions about egg shells or wounded birds that you have tried to help or you end up feeling like a criminal for doing the right thing..picking up and collecting are 2 different things ..but generally as long as havent picked from a nest and dont tend to save for a collection there is no harm done and there will be no fear of reprisals..but generally intact eggs always raise suspicion

Last edited:
I did have my doubts myself believe you me, but this is from a genuine source and I didn't know if it was 'educational' and 'beneficial' to post. The paler shell looks like it has hatched, otherwise I wouldn't have posted and had there been any possibility of it being dodgy I would have told the source so.

I had asked for more information , becomes curiouser and curiouser,
From East Lancashire in UK.
"Deep up a moorland valley. The only trees are five twisted and knarled hawthorns which look like a grown out hedge, the eggs are on the floor beneath one of them". Sounds like predation to me by unknown, possibly raven, corvid or possibly a hawk. To have two completely different eggs from one remote location...

PS
From suggested previous,
Does that mean I cannot clean out my garden nestbox, even if it has failed egg left in it? Do I need a licence?
Can I clean up the fallen and hatched blackbird egg shell from my garden, or do I have to leave it; where I have purposely encouraged wildlife and made opportunities for safe breeding birds and animals? If I turn over the compost heap, or clean leaves off the pond and disturb a newt am I guilty of an offence?

Last edited:
The brown one is kind of pheasant egg coloured but doesnt look big enough and the one on the right reminds me of a very pale buzzard egg that i saw years ago they tend to lay 3 and generally the markings diminish from 1st to 3rd ..but again i dont think its big enough but i may be wrong .. strange that they have been found together ..what i did stumble across a long while back was a mallard nest with 8 mallard eggs and 6 pheasant eggs in it ..whether the pheasant was doing a cuckoo or whether a gamekeeper put them there i will never know ..i think i will go with the pheasant and mallard as long as the bigger egg is brown staining and not actual markings

Last edited:
Thanks Harr1y, interesting about the mallard and pheasant,

UPDATE
I believe this is a public right of way and from what I understand the two eggs were found in the same location (within 10 yards) BUT NOT at the same time. On two different walks, possibly ten days apart. Therefore, unless there are two nests close to each other (which is unlikely) suggests they have 'been brought' to the location at different times... but entire supposition. That could be by one event, i.e bird predation or two events, fallen out of a nest and rolled down the hill say.

Not having seen the eggs myself, but from larger photo, I think any marks are 'staining' as opposed to egg markings, i.e they are plain. I think the blue egg has a huge hole on the side you can't see, and there is a clear exit attempt on the front (and you can see through it completely).

I think it is coincidental perhaps, two separate events.

One pale blue egg hatched and removed from nest by parent?
Brown egg dunno.
Just happened to end up in the same place.

One reason for asking of course, was to try and identify what was breeding in that location.

Buzzard is a possibility.

I did have my doubts myself believe you me, but this is from a genuine source and I didn't know if it was 'educational' and 'beneficial' to post. The paler shell looks like it has hatched, otherwise I wouldn't have posted and had there been any possibility of it being dodgy I would have told the source so.

I had asked for more information , becomes curiouser and curiouser,
From East Lancashire in UK.
"Deep up a moorland valley. The only trees are five twisted and knarled hawthorns which look like a grown out hedge, the eggs are on the floor beneath one of them". Sounds like predation to me by unknown, possibly raven, corvid or possibly a hawk. To have two completely different eggs from one remote location...

PS
From suggested previous,
Does that mean I cannot clean out my garden nestbox, even if it has failed egg left in it? Do I need a licence?
Can I clean up the fallen and hatched blackbird egg shell from my garden, or do I have to leave it; where I have purposely encouraged wildlife and made opportunities for safe breeding birds and animals? If I turn over the compost heap, or clean leaves off the pond and disturb a newt am I guilty of an offence?

Lancashire moorland,Hen Harrier and Merlin spring to mind

No, but you may currently be guilty of histrionics.

The shape and colour of the white one does look a bit BOP-like (how big is a 20p anyway?), over to the eggsperts.

No, but you may currently be guilty of histrionics.

(how big is a 20p anyway?), over to the eggsperts.

Guilty, but I didn't say I wasn't paranoid or insane either.

20p=20mm, not got a ruler?

(and the suggestion that everyone is guilty of an offence [egg collecting] rather than a genuine enquiry is offensive).

the overall 'roundness' struck me and I did wonder about collared dove or woodpigeon but none of that makes sense either.

You may wish to see this thread (if not already viewed)
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=174612
a raptor seen last year in the same location six months earlier... would it be taking eggs? Returning to one of only a few trees/perches in the area to then eat the contents?

Now it is becoming confusing with two threads on same subject. Sorry.
g

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back