• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are these Blue-gray Gnatcatchers? - Playa Del Rey, CA - USA (1 Viewer)

PONYRCR

When I took these pix today I thought they were all Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, now I'm not so sure.

The first photo I'm pretty sure is a BG Gnatcatcher, it's the last two that I'm not sure about. The bird looks too small, the tail too short, and the bill looks too thin and pointy.

Photos were taken at the Ballona Marsh in Playa Del Rey, CA.

Attachments

• Blue-grey Gnatcatcher Ballona Marsh.jpg
    Blue-grey Gnatcatcher Ballona Marsh.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Blue-grey Gnatcatcher PDR.jpg
    Blue-grey Gnatcatcher PDR.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Blue-grey Gnatcatcher Oct. 07.jpg
    Blue-grey Gnatcatcher Oct. 07.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 89
They all look fine for Blue-gray Gnatcatcher to me. Maybe it's just molting its tail? Or a cat tried to get it and mostly missed?

The only other thing they could be would be a different gnatcatcher (At least that is what I think). Could be a juvenile given the short tail.

Niels

Definitely a gnatcatcher. For the Blue-gray vrs. Black-tailed question, you are a bit out of the desert/chapparel range where Black-tailed Gnatcatchers are found.

As for the short tail..... who knows? As lassa8 suggested, maybe a cat that didn't quite get its dinner :D

Have you thought about the California Gnatcatcher? I saw similar birds in Orange County that I ID'd as the Blue-grey, but after looking at the descriptions in Sibley I changed my mind to the California mostly because of the amount of white on the underside of the tail and the brownish tint. They are very similar!

Attachments

• XTI-16013.jpg
    XTI-16013.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back