• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly ID Pointers (1 Viewer)

As Southern Damselfly "Coenagrion mercuriale" has not appeared on this thread yet, I thought I`d add it.

Southern is the smallest of the blue Damselflies.
It is found on small steams & flushes in southern England, south Wales & Anglesey.
The male has a "Mercury" mark on S2, and spear marks on S3 & S4.
The female,though a blue form exists, normally has an abdomen which is dull green below & mainly black above,with a Thistle shape on S2, there are blue divisions between the last few segments ( Distinct from Small Red "Melanogastrum" form which has red divisions.

Attachments

• em-Southern a.jpg
    em-Southern a.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 320
  • em-Southern b.jpg
    em-Southern b.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 372
  • em-Southern c.jpg
    em-Southern c.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 288
  • em-Southern d.jpg
    em-Southern d.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 323
Great thread

Some amazing photo's and very knowledgeable people here. I am quite new to this, I got this shot of what I think is a Female emerald damselfly. Not seen one on here yet so thought I would post it. Neil.

Attachments

• Female_emerald_damselfly.jpg
    Female_emerald_damselfly.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 310
Many thanks to everybody for amazing photos and information. I reckon I better practice my photography skills and invest in a decent macro lens.

Last edited:
Great thread which I've just found. I've got some lestes shots I will try and post once I've worked out how to do so.

Its a bit subjective but generally I find Common Blue Damsel is paler blue than Azure and likes larger bodies of water

Dragonfly Pictures

For your consideration....my Dragonfly Pictures section was organized around this thread's Dragonfly Identification theme.

It focuses on North American dragonflies, and in most cases, species field identification tips are provided along with pictures of male and female specimens.

Dragonfly watching can be an enjoyable exercise in and of itself. Its utility expands when the fact that the presence of dragonflies in an area indicates good water quality, is taken into consideration.

Variable Variable

I've made this composite picture of three male Variable Damselflies which probably won't help ID but does show three very different antehumerals. All taken today (5/6/10) near Reading.

Attachments

• BB_010605_VARBL_3males_600x640.jpg
    BB_010605_VARBL_3males_600x640.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
Believe it or not this is the first 'Dragon' I've seen this year!!...Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's a Common Darter....

P.s. like others have said, some amazing photo's on this thread!! :eek!::t:

Attachments

• Common Darter #1 (Large).jpg
    Common Darter #1 (Large).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 246
  • Common Darter #2 (Large).jpg
    Common Darter #2 (Large).jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 259
Emeralds

Couple of Norfolk specialities for comparison: Southern Emerald and Willow Emerald

Attachments

• Southern Em.jpg
    Southern Em.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 201
  • Willow Em.jpg
    Willow Em.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 214
Two more Emeralds

For comparison, another Willow Emerald (showing bicoloured pterostigmata) and a 'common' Emerald Damsel.

Attachments

• Willow emerald.jpg
    Willow emerald.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 233
  • Emerald Damsel.jpg
    Emerald Damsel.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 233
Winter Damselfly Sympecma fusca

Since we are now inundated with this species (well there have been two anyway!), I've put together some composite pics which might help.

I can see why the most recent one was thought to be a (female) Common Blue Damselfly but Winter Damselfly has appendages that are like our White-legged Damselfly or emerald damselfly species.

Attachments

• Sympecma_fusca_aut_m_f_1024.jpg
    Sympecma_fusca_aut_m_f_1024.jpg
    523.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Sympecma_fusca_f_1024.jpg
    Sympecma_fusca_f_1024.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Sympecma_fusca_m_1024.jpg
    Sympecma_fusca_m_1024.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back