• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron 8x42 High Resolution Porro (1 Viewer)

Binastro

This is a very nice small binocular.
All surfaces multicoated, but maybe prisms single coated.
Japanese.
6.3 deg field, which is small for me, but the performance is very good. Even ghosting from nearby streetlight at night is good.
Very well used, worn leather, but clearly serviced.

When was it made?

The 8x42 weighs 606g.
The measured field is 6.57 deg, better than the 6.3 deg marked but still small. About 52.5 deg AFOV old style.

Good star images.

Mild pincushion.
Almost undetectable CA centrally.
At the field edge some CA and some softness.

Tested the Opticron HR against the Nikon Monarch 8x42 HG.
In the daytime the Nikon is about 12% brighter than the Opticron. This probably means a transmission of around 92% compared to 82%.

However, at night Orion stars and the Orion nebula are much brighter in the Nikon, probably 25% or a bit more brighter.

Looking more closely. although the Opticron exit pupils are round they are smaller.

Measuring the apertures and estimating magnification, the Opticron is actually about 8.6x41 and the Nikon 8x42.
So exit pupils around 4.75mm and 5.25mm.

The Opticron is indeed high resolution, it separates close double stars well. Also the star images are tight and good.
The Nikon stars are brighter, but much bigger. Partly because my eyes are using a bigger pupil, but also due to the binocular not having such tight stars.
My eyes probably around 5.5mm.

Unfortunately the Monarch HG sample still has CA centrally and excessive CA off axis.
Also the Nikon is worse than the Opticron in ghosting from a nearby streelight. But the Opticron field is much narrower.
As the magnification is about 8.6 the Opticron AFOV is greater than I thought at 57 deg old measure.
Nikon 67 deg old measure.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back