• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few days in BALI (1 Viewer)

monkir

Bali. April 13th – 24th 2017

We decided to take a short (11 night) break to Bali for birdwatching and relaxation. It proved to be a very worthwhile trip with 137 species seen including 43 lifers
Flight.

We flew with Emirates from London Heathrow via Dubai. Good choice on A380/777 comfortable and decent food and service on all flights. We paid around £450 each.

Hotel.

We booked Sapodilla hotel in Ubud for 11 nights via Booking.com. We chose this mainly because of it being a small family run hotel in a good location, walking distance to the town and many decent restaurants. The price was £53 a night per room (payable on arrival) including a very good breakfast, complimentary afternoon tea, bottled water and free shuttle service around Ubud. They provided a mobile phone so you could call them to arrange pick-ups when ready. Highly recommended.

Weather.

It was very hot (36C) and humid (85%) during our stay. It only rained one day for about an hour.

Getting around.

The hotel provided a free shuttle for local journeys. Both guides I hired provided a car and driver.
Walking was quite hazardous due to the uneven pavements, sometimes with large holes into the drains beneath. It also wasn’t helped by the fact that scooter riders often use the pavements to jump the traffic queues regardless of whether there are any pedestrians on it or not!
Car hire and taxis are plentiful and I would not drive myself in Bali as the traffic is horrendous. Although they drive on the left as UK, I could not work out their road rules at all!!

Guides.

I booked two guides via email after reading several trip reports.
Sumadi Wayan, for trips around Ubud where we were staying
Hery Kusumanegaro for a trip to Bali Barat NP.

Trips.

Bali Bird Walk with Sumadi. These walks are well known. http://www.balibirdwalk.com/
We took the free hotel shuttle to Murni’s Warung at 9am to meet Su. We were joined by 5 other people for the 3-hour walk followed by lunch included in the price ($37). Sumadi took us through the rice fields and showed us 23 species of birds, many butterflies, insects and plants and told us about the Balinese way of life.

Su is very knowledgeable and friendly and the walk proved very enjoyable. Su identified 3 species of Swiftlets (Mossy, Edible Nest and White-bellied) and after that I did not bother with Swiftlets again!
3 Javan Kingfishers were seen and Su flushed a Pin tailed Snipe from a rice field.
Other birds of note: Small Blue Kingfisher, Peregrine, Java Pond Heron, Zitting and Golden-headed Cisticolas, Bush Chat, Scaly breasted and White headed Munias.

Bali Botanic Garden at Bedegul and Lake Buyan.

This was a private trip with Sumadi as guide. We were picked up from our hotel at 6 am, with the hotel providing a box breakfast.
It took just over an hour to get to the Botanic Garden from Ubud. The garden had suffered a lot of damage due to heavy rains and flash floods in the past year and all the bridges have been destroyed making getting around by car difficult. Su soon picked up birds by call and we saw 42 species. Highlights were Grey-headed Canary, Mugimaki, Asian Brown, Little Pied and Fulvous chested Forest Flycatchers, Oriental Cuckoo, Indonesian Honeyeater, Great Tit, Orange fronted Barbet, Yellow throated Hanging Parrot. A Lesser Shortwing and Crescent-chested Babblers were heard.
Other birds were Grey-cheeked Green Pigeon, Javan grey-throated White Eye, Black-naped Oriole, Greater Racket-tailed Drongo, Ashy Drongo, Asian Glossy Starling, Short-tailed Starling, Golden Whistler, Blood-breasted Flowerpecker, Mountain White Eye, Ashy Tailorbird, Oriental Honey Buzzard.

After about 3 hours in the garden we went to Lake Buyan. Here the water levels have risen dramatically and in places the original shoreline is 100 metres from the current one. Gardens and houses are now under water.
Su knew where a track reached the water’s edge and we walked along a concrete wall amongst some vegetation. A White-browed Crake emerged and showed well, also a Moorhen and 2 Striated Grassbirds. We did not see any Bitterns.

Bakutaru Temple.

Another 6 am start. At the temple it is necessary to wear a sarong which they provide. White Crowned Forktails flitted around the lake. In the trees we saw Ruddy Cuckoo Dove, Javan Cuckoo-shrike, Blue-eared Barbet. Grey cheeked Bulbuls were heard and 2 Chinese Goshawks flew over.
We saw 33 species today including Emerald Dove, Little Spiderhunter, Orange-bellied Flowerpecker, Oriental White Eye, Mountain Leaf Warbler, Scarlet Minivet, Black-naped Fruit Dove and Plaintive Cuckoo.
Later we stopped at a rice field and amongst the usual munias we found 2 Java Sparrows.

Serengan Island and Nusa Dua Lagoons.

These sites are on the south coast of Bali and took about an hour from Ubud, starting again at 6am. Serengan Island is a large area of dry scrub, small trees, mangroves and tidal lagoons opening out to the sea. It is said to be the best place in Bali for seabirds and waders, October being the best month.
Birds seen: Sooty-headed Bulbul, Oriental Treepie, Long-tailed Shrike, Brown-throated Sunbird, Collared, Sacred and Small Blue Kingfishers, Beach Thick knee, Malaysian Plover, Greater Sand Plover, Crested, Lesser Crested, Little and White Terns, Pink necked Pigeon, Island Dove, Zebra Dove, Sunda Teal, Pied and Black Cormorants, Fulvous-breasted Woodpecker, Lesser Frigatebird, White-breasted Wood Swallow and Blue-tailed Bee Eater.

We moved on to Nusa Dua Settlement Lagoons. A walk around produced nest building Golden-bellied Gerygones, Scarlet-headed Flowerpecker, Red necked Stint, Gull-billed Tern. And Brown-throated Sunbird.
We saw a total of 61 species today.

Bali Barat N.P.

This was a long day trip with Hery as guide. He picked me up from my hotel at 4am and it took 3 hours to get to Bali Barat. During the day we saw 51 species.
Within 10 minutes I had 4 lifers: 2 Bali Mynas (unringed), Orange-breasted Pigeon, Coppersmith Barbet of the red-faced race and Greater Flameback. Further birds followed: Changeable Hawk Eagle, Olive-backed Tailorbird, several Green Jungle Fowl and Lineated Barbet. A calling Mangrove Whistler would not respond to the tape. A Black-thighed Falconet was seen briefly before we moved on to the site for Banded Pitta.
Hery has a stake-out for these birds. A friend of his has accustomed a pair to come for mealworms in front of a blind (similar to Angel Paz in Ecuador with Ant-Pittas for anyone who has been there).
Within 30 seconds a pair came hopping out if the forest to feed on the mealworms about 5 metres in front of the blind. WOW!!

On the way back to the car we had Crested Serpent Eagle and Javan Mynas.
Hery then took me to a dry open area of scattered bushes and grass. Several Savanna Nightjars were roosting under the bushes and, on the grassland, White Shouldered Triller, Sooty-headed Bulbuls and Island Dove.

Lunch was taken at a nice restaurant during which time it rained heavily for about one hour.

We moved on to the coast at some saline lagoons. Birds seen: Javan Plover, Grey-tailed Tattler, Little Tern, Grey Plover, Small Blue Kingfisher.
Hery then took me back into the forest and showed me 2 roosting Sunda Scops Owls, then, after much searching, a Black-winged Starling.
Other birds included Pied Fantail, Chestnut-headed Bee Eater, Grey-naped Tree Swift and White Headed Stilt.
After an excellent trip, we returned to Ubud which this time took 4 and a half hours due to the heavy traffic.

Conclusion.

Bali is a very good destination for some oriental birding. Having a guide made things a lot easier, both Sumadi and Hery can be recommended. Whilst the Botanical Garden could be done on your own having Su ensured I missed nothing. A guide at Bali Barat is essential and Hery is the top man. His knowledge and expertise proved invaluable.

Some photos from the trip.

1 Scaly-breasted Munia
2 Javan Pond Heron
3 Javan Kingfisher
4 Sooty-headed Bulbul

Attachments

• IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1139.jpg
    IMG_1139.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 29
1 Sunda Teal
2 Red-necked Stint
3 Grey-tailed Tattler
4 Malaysian Plover

Attachments

• IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1229.jpg
    IMG_1229.jpg
    593.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1280.jpg
    IMG_1280.jpg
    702.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 27
1 Coppersmith Barbet (Rosea)
2 Banded Pitta
3 Savanna Nightjar
4 White-shouldered Triller
5 Olive-backed Sunbird

We thoroughly enjoyed Bali although the humidity made it very tiring.

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1372.jpg
    IMG_1372.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 29
  • P1030887.jpg
    P1030887.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 19
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back