• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fritillary - Northern Spain (1 Viewer)

RobinD

Please can anyone confirm whether this is a Spanish Fritillary?

The picture was taken on 27th April on a roadside above a river not far from the Mallos del Riglos. Unfortunately, I did not see the under-wing to help with ID.

Thank you,

Robin

Attachments

• Spanish Frit1.jpg
    Spanish Frit1.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Spanish Frit3.jpg
    Spanish Frit3.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 28
Looks more like a Spanish race of Marsh to me, Spanish would have prominent yellow cells and chevrons at the outer edge of both wings and seems resricted to the Eastern side of Spain.

I'd also say that the yellowish spots in the band next to the outer chevrons on the forewing are too big and diffuse?

It's a tough one though!

A

Last edited:
Thanks Andy, that was the debate I was having with myself but on further research, I agree with you that it is the local subspecies of Marsh.

Kind regards,

Robin

Yes, they're beckeri Marsh Fritillaries, quite variable in colour actually. Not Spanish for the reasons Andy gave (and their orange colour is even more vivid); Spanish occurs also in southern Spain and southern Portugal (it's one of our most endangered butterflies, and quite local).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back