• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallowtails in Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

RichardP

I'm not sure how many species I've got in these 4 pics, but I can't match any of them with my searches. Any thoughts appreciated.

They were all taken on a beach on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica - Golfo Dulce, opposite the OSA Peninsula in February.

Attachments

• CostaRicaButterflies02.jpg
    CostaRicaButterflies02.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 13
  • CostaRicaButterflies01.jpg
    CostaRicaButterflies01.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 13
  • CostaRicaButterflies03.jpg
    CostaRicaButterflies03.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 15
  • CostaRicaButterflies04.jpg
    CostaRicaButterflies04.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 14
1 and 3 look to be the same, Pale Daggerwing Marpesia harmonia
2 Looks like Salvin's Kite Swallowtail Eurytides salvini
4 Many-banded Daggerwing Marpesia chiron

Only 2 is a Swallowtail, the others are Brushfoots.

A

Last edited:
Andy

Thanks for this. I can now see the Daggerwings - not a group that I'd come across before.

I'm not surprised that I couldn't id the swallowtail - all the pictures on the web seem to be with open wings, which of course look utterly different!

So thanks again.

R

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back