• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many species of owl have you seen (1 Viewer)

I love owls, although my List is sadly not too long. Country where first seen behind the name.
1. Tawny Owl - Germany
2. Little Owl - Germany
3. Barn Owl - Germany
4. Eurasian Eagle Owl - Germany
5. Long eared Owl - Germany
6. Short eared Owl - Germany
7. Eurasian Pygmy Owl - Germany
8. Northern Hawk Owl - Germany
9. Pharaoh Eagle Owl - Egypt
10. Snowy Owl - Netherlands
11. Eurasian Scops Owl - Turkey
12. Collared Scops Owl - Sri Lanka
13. Chestnut backed Owlet - Sri Lanka
14. Pearl-spotted Owlet - South Africa
15. African Barred Owlet - South Africa
16. Spotted Eagle Owl - South Africa
17. Verreaux's Eagle Owl - South Africa
18. African Scops Owl - South Africa
19. Ferruginous Pygmy Owl - Mexico
20. Mottled Owl - Mexico

a feeble effort for me, but worth posting as it gives me something to laugh at in future years... :D

UK
Barn Owl
Little Owl
Short-eared Owl

rest of Europe
Tawny Owl (in the middle of Vienna!)

rest of the world
Verreaux's Eagle-Owl (Samburu Nature Reserve, Kenya)

Went looking for a great grey owl that had been spotted not far from Stockholm on a recent trip to Sweden for work, but didn't manage to find it (and sadly my conscience got the better of me so went off to catch up on work!)

Wow, just look how my list has come on in the last 5 years.... :-O

UK
Barn Owl
Tawny Owl
Little Owl
Short-eared Owl
Long-eared Owl

rest of the world
Verreaux's Eagle-Owl (Samburu Nature Reserve, Kenya)

Without much expectation, a quick count:

Barn Owl
American Barn Owl (recently split I seem to remember?)
African Scops Owl
Eurasian Scops Owl
Indian Scops Owl
Great Horned Owl
Spotted Eagle Owl
Verreaux's Eagle Owl
Snowy Owl
Brown Fish Owl
Tawny Owl
Barred Owl
Ural Owl
Great Grey Owl
African Wood Owl
Hawk Owl
Pearl-spotted Owlet
Jungle Owlet
Little Owl
Spotted Owlet
Burrowing Owl
Long-eared Owl
Short-eared Owl
Marsh Owl

24 spp

Better than I expected!

John

144 seen well (Clements/Cornell); hoping for another couple in Peru shortly, then perhaps 6 in the Phils at the end of the year. Last new owl was Forest Owlet near Bombay in early January.

cheers, alan

49 seen. About what I expected, but considerably less than I would have if I didn't prefer to do my trips alone, with the added workload that entails - usually after 13 hours of daylight birding food, a couple of beers, shower and sleep are all fitted in before 9pm when the hardcore would be out owling!!

UK: barn, tawny, short-eared, little (no LE |8(| )

India & Nepal: Asian barred owlet, jungle owlet, spotted owlet, brown hawk-owl
3 out of the above 4 all from a trip to Chitwan in 1989, and all thanks to an excellent local guide

144 seen well (Clements/Cornell); hoping for another couple in Peru shortly, then perhaps 6 in the Phils at the end of the year. Last new owl was Forest Owlet near Bombay in early January.

cheers, alan

It was a bit of a disaster to miss the rare Cloud Forest Screech Owl in Peru recently but the Long-whiskered Owlet performed well, although hard to photograph without a flash:

http://www.surfbirds.com/gallery/share_photo.php?imgname=20170714235141999.JPG

So now onto 145 Clements (all seen well). I'm hoping I get a better strike rate in the Phils at the end of the year! Keeping my fingers crossed that the much wanted Eagle Owl shows well..

cheers, alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back