• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Colour ringed Waxwings (1 Viewer)

Paul Higson

A good number of Waxwings have been colour ringed in Orkney recently.

Orkney Waxwings have a unique combination of three colour rings on one leg and a metal ring and a yellow colour ring on the other. Yellow signifies from Orkney - I believe for birds trapped in Aberdeen the colour of choice is white.

One of our birds was seen in Norwich on the 16th.

Another one in the garden today 18/11/10 Orange,red & yellow on the left, Yellow on the right another Local, 19/11/10 Yellow,Black,Blue Left. Yellow right

Last edited:
colour ringed Waxwing in Oswestry, Shropshire

hi Paul I have just joined Birdforums to try and identify where the colour ringed Waxwing I saw and photographed in Oswestry, Shropshire on 1 december2010.
The bird had 3 colour rings on its left leg, blue closest to the body followed by white then red. The right leg had a metal ring (I couldn't read the number!) with a white coloured ring below that. I have photos to send if that would help.
many thanks, Anthony Griffiths

Last edited:
Hi Anthony,

I can help with that one !

It was ringed at Allenvale Cemetery Aberdeen on 31/10/10. I was present with other Grampian Group Ringers and one of the trainees ( a Frenchman) took a photo of the bird's rings because it resembled the French national flag You can see it HERE

It was ringed as a 3F ( a juvenile female). We would definitely be very interested in a photo for our blog and full details of where it was seen. You can send the photos to the address on our blog and our Group Secretary Raymond Duncan will write to you with full details of your bird plus the others we have been 'tracking'.

Over 400 have been colour-ringed by Grampian Ringing Group so please continue to check all photos and in the field.

Many thanks,

Lindsay

I've just photographed a colour ringed Waxwing in Taunton and sent the info of to BTO. The right leg was Metal (details not visible) over white so I'm assuming it's an Aberdeen bird, left leg pale green over red over blue. I couldn't be sure on the sex but best guess is adult female. Here he/she is (I only saw the right leg through the binoculars).

Attachments

• ringed waxwing.jpg
    ringed waxwing.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 132
I've just photographed a colour ringed Waxwing in Taunton and sent the info of to BTO. The right leg was Metal (details not visible) over white so I'm assuming it's an Aberdeen bird, left leg pale green over red over blue. I couldn't be sure on the sex but best guess is adult female. Here he/she is (I only saw the right leg through the binoculars).

Hi Hyrax,

Thanks for reporting this Waxwing. This bird was ringed by Grampian Ringing Group as an adult female in Aberdeen on 27 November 2011, so quite a distance and an important movement for us !

Could you private post or email (via Birdforum profile) me the full details, and would it be possible to get a copy of the pic for our blog and records ?

Many thanks again and hope to hear from you,

Lindsay

I took some video footage of a colour ringed Waxwing at Fulford, York (SE610498) on the 2nd January. I reckon it was an adult female and it had a white ring on the right leg, plus pale green, red and dark(ish) green on the left leg.

I guess the white ring means it was from Aberdeen. I entered the details on the Euring website.

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your report. Would it be possible for us to get an image grab of the bird just to confirm your reading as LGR (Lime over Green over Red, top to bottom) was ringed as 3F (first year female not adult) on 27/11/10 in Rosemount, Aberdeen City.

Best wishes,

Lindsay

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your report. Would it be possible for us to get an image grab of the bird just to confirm your reading as LGR (Lime over Green over Red, top to bottom) was ringed as 3F (first year female not adult) on 27/11/10 in Rosemount, Aberdeen City.

Best wishes,

Lindsay

Oops typo ! That should have read "LRG was 3F etc etc."

Any images we can have a look at just to confirm ? Lime can often be confused with white in the field.

Best wishes,

Lindsay

Grampian Ringing Group

Waxwing at Fulford, York

Hi Lindsay

Here's a videograb. I suspect it's my mistake and it's a 1st yr female as you say (not an adult) and apologies but all the film is of it front on.

Paul

Attachments

• Waxwing Fulford Jan 2011.jpg
    Waxwing Fulford Jan 2011.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 129
Ooooh I dunnoe Paul, that looks like it could be Lime, Orange, Green and this was ringed as a 4 (f) - adult (likely)female . The red can often appear as an orange colour so I may well be mistaken - I will circulate your pic (if that is ok) to the other ringers present that day to see what they think.

Sorry to be a pest but have you got any more grabs of this bird from the side so we can see the wings ? If it is an adult female, as you initially thought it was, it will be LOG, ringed at same site in Aberdeen on 27/11/10. It has the diffuse throat suggesting a female and the tail is very broad more like a male. It was processed by very experienced ringers so the broad bands on the tail feathers may have accounted for the 'likely' female sexing ( as males have broad tail bands).

Many thanks,

Lindsay

Grampian Ringing Group

Hi Paul,

Have run your photo past Raymond Duncan (project leader) and he agrees with me that the bird in your grab is LOG adult female, so you were bang on with the sexing and ageing after all !

The dates and ringing details are as I gave above. Interestingly, another bird was photographed at your location in York on the same day, LNW - not yours as well ? It is interesting that some Aberdeen birds have headed practically to the south coast a month after ringing, yet a few are lingering 'Up North' in England. Great stuff !

I am reliably informed that your report is the 70th sighting we have had reported, not including those within Aberdeen City, so fantastic ! A well done and big thanks to all birders and photographers who have reported colour-ringed Waxwings - we are getting some very useful data from your reports about this years invasion. Please keep them coming !

Paul can we use your fantastic photo for our bulletin and updates about the 2010/11 Waxwing invasion ? Can you maybe email me (via my profile) or PM me your full name details so you are fully credited with the report and the photograph (assuming it's ok to use it).

Many thanks again,

Lindsay

Grampian Ringing Group

I photograped this colour rung Waxwing in Sheffield this morning.
I'd guess at it being a 1w male, with dark green/dark green/ blue on the left leg and a single white on the right leg.
I assume it was rung in Aberdeen, any details gratefully received.

Attachments

• IMG_4082crwaxwing1.JPG
    IMG_4082crwaxwing1.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 92
I came across a flock of about 50 waxwings in shepperton, middlesex, a first sighting for me and i felt privileged. I spotted one ringed bird. blue, blue, white, see attachment, they stripped the tree in 2 days and moved on.

Attachments

• ww3.jpg
    ww3.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 95
I photograped this colour rung Waxwing in Sheffield this morning.
I'd guess at it being a 1w male, with dark green/dark green/ blue on the left leg and a single white on the right leg.
I assume it was rung in Aberdeen, any details gratefully received.

Hi Dandy,

Thanks for your report and brilliant photo ! That bird GGB was ringed by myself and two colleagues as a 3M at Allenvale Cemetery, Aberdeen on 21/11/10.

I will pass on your sighting and report to out Secretary Raymond Duncan who will be able to give you a full history of this bird ( we have had multiple sightings for some birds). He can be reached through our website at http://grampianringing.blogspot.com or you can PM and I will forward your message.

Thanks to people like yourself we have now had over 100 sightings of colour-ringed Waxwings from last winters invasion, that is 1 in evey 4 ringed or 1 in 5 if we include the Orkney birds. This is a fantastic return for a passerine so thanks to you all for looking for them and passing them on !

Best wishes,

Lindsay C.

On behalf of Grampian Ringing Group

I came across a flock of about 50 waxwings in shepperton, middlesex, a first sighting for me and i felt privileged. I spotted one ringed bird. blue, blue, white, see attachment, they stripped the tree in 2 days and moved on.

Hi Leon,

Likewise, many thanks for taking the time to report this sighting on here, and for such a clear photo ! Your bird is WBB (left) and was ringed as a 3M in Rosemount, Aberdeen on 27/11/10, by our secretary Raymond Duncan no less, so he will be pleased !

Please can you forward your report (and photo please) to the email address on our blog at http://grampianringing.blogspot.com and he will be able to get in touch with any full histories that exist.

This is brilliant stuff - I haven't seen a Waxwing this year, though did manage to see 1000 in the air at once and catch a couple of hundred before Christmas and it is great to see you guys conecting with 'our' ringed birds and giving us a very interesting picture of their movements !

Best wishes,

Lindsay C.

On behalf of Grampian Ringing Group

Leonr,

I have Private Messaged you so can you please check your inbox on Bird Forum. I have a detailed response to your sighting from our secretary Raymond Duncan which contains attachments so I would need to send these on via email.

Incidentally, your sighting was the first sighting of this bird since ringing so well done, a great report for us !

Best wishes,

Lindsay C.

Grampian Ringing Group

Yellow and red rings in Ilkley, Yorkshire

Hello, I've spotted some waxwings today in Ilkley and one of them was ringed. I'd love to know if anyone knows where it was ringed and whether I should report it anywhere.
Many thanks
Rebecca

Attachments

• IMG_4692.jpg
    IMG_4692.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back