• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta 6.5x32 MeoPro (2 Viewers)

So has anyone done a side by side with the Vortex Fury 6.5x32?

Lars did a comparison;
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2768778&postcount=1

I know there was another comparison here a while back, but I can't find it now that concluded the Meopro was a little better optically. I tried them both briefly at a birding show a couple of years back and thought the Meopro was a little sharper. I would't say the difference was much, probably only sample variation.

David

a Meopro picture

Hello all,

In case anyone is interested --

I took a few pics for the two Nikon M7 threads here, but as I included a 6.5x32 Meopta for size comparison, I thought I would post one here too, just in case someone wants to see a size comparison. Also included are a Swarovski Habicht 8x30 GA and CL Pocket and a Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32.

Attachments

• nikonm7b.jpg
    nikonm7b.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 221
Another 6.5x32

It's not easy finding roof prism binoculars in this specification but for those interested in 6.5x32 Kunyang Optical do a basic model in green livery, although I haven't yet seen it on the market.

Apologies for cross-posting, I've also put this on the Viking thread.

Last edited:
It's not easy finding roof prism binoculars in this specification but for those interested in 6.5x32 Kunyang Optical do a basic model in green livery, although I haven't yet seen it on the market.

Apologies for cross-posting, I've also put this on the Viking thread.

Just curious...is there any functional purpose to the threading at the end of the objective barrels?
I've never seen this before.

Just curious...is there any functional purpose to the threading at the end of the objective barrels?
I've never seen this before.

Hello Annabeth,

I think that those recessed concentric rings, not threading, may act like a lens hood.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

welp...I got the meopro in yesterday and used it on lunch and used it a tiny bit this morning. Here are my very un-technical first impressions:

I was pleasantly surprised by two things right off. The first is just how sharp it is in the center. The sharpness combined with very wide FOV and brightness makes the overall viewing experience very nice. I'm impressed by the optical quality. The second is the very nice smooth focus. It has a large focus wheel which is a real pleasure. Of course the DOF is nice and there is not as much of a need to re-focus like my 8x bin. The focus is quick, ultra-smooth and just real well done; a very nice surprise here. I must have a very good sample.

The eye relief is more than enough and actually I need to screw the cups out a bit in order to avoid blackouts. I can see the whole FOV. It's a nice large image with very wide FOV and real easy to look through. It is very comfortable viewing with eyeglasses.

The build quality is excellent for a $300 binocular. This , to me , feels like high quality for relatively inexpensive birding binocular.

The bin is bulky however. I had thought that it would be a little smaller than it is.
It's a robust 32mm with large ocular lenses/assembly.

The bin loses some points here for attractiveness when compared to my Swaro CL 8x30.
But, then again not many bins are as nicely designed as the little CL. The handling/ergonomics of the CL are just much better than the bulky Meopro. I did not compare the CL with the Meopro in terms of optics/view yet.

My first impressions are very good for optical quality, build of the bin and focus.
It's a real nice binocular with super close focus. This will be a real nice one
for closer viewing, warblers, etc. I think the wide FOV and DOF will come in real
handy.

I've been waiting for your report, Annabeth2. The FOV is really tempting.
Some really old 6x30s I got have easy-viewing property. Not top drawer on detail though.

I've been waiting for your report, Annabeth2. The FOV is really tempting.
Some really old 6x30s I got have easy-viewing property. Not top drawer on detail though.

I was just outside with the meopro and CL. It's snowing here so conditions are not the best for comparison. With that said, I found the meopro to be just slightly brighter than the CL when looking at dark patches such as under the dumpsters across the way from my apartment. That's to be expeected at 6.5 power compared to 8x. The CL is quite bright for an 8x30. I could not tell which was sharper. I thought the meopro would be sharper, but I struggled to see any noticeable difference. But, the wider FOV is nice and it's easier wearing glasses when looking through the meopro. The focus wheel is much smoother than the CL's.
Both seem to have a natural color balance, but then again I'm not too experienced judging this sort of thing.

This says a lot about the meopro given that it costs 300 bucks compared to 1k.

Annabeth2,

What made you think that the Meopro should be 'sharper'? I've always found that higher magnification binoculars tend to produce 'sharper' appearing images due to the ability to see more fine details. Also, one would typically expect the more highly priced glass to produce better images (though with one caveat here, as I actually found the CL lacking in both brightness and sharpness when compared to the Viper HD I had with me).

Annabeth2,

What made you think that the Meopro should be 'sharper'? I've always found that higher magnification binoculars tend to produce 'sharper' appearing images due to the ability to see more fine details. Also, one would typically expect the more highly priced glass to produce better images (though with one caveat here, as I actually found the CL lacking in both brightness and sharpness when compared to the Viper HD I had with me).

I thought it may be sharper b/c it appeared to be very sharp when I tried it yesterday on my lunch break. I didn't have the CL with me and could not compare, but my perception when looking through it was that it looked sharper than my CL. It has nice optics for sure and I can see why people like it.

The Meopta was purchased to replace the CL, as I desire closer focus and a bit wider FOV. Although I am impressed with the Meopta so far, I am not yet sure if it is the one to replace the CL since I feel the CL is much nicer to hold. The Swaro is gonna be a tough one to replace since I love it so much. I will need to check out the new Nikon 8x30 as well and something like this model might be the one.
I will decide soon.

Btw...I did not receive an iphone adapter with this bin. I called Optics4Birding and they said it does not come with this model.

Annabeth2,

Thank you for clarifying that little bit of information. I'm trying to buy my girlfriend a new pair of lower power binos (she mostly works with herps, insects, and flowers but also does some bird work) and these, along with the Leupold and Zen-Ray 7xs are on my shortlist.

All the best,
Justin

Hello,

As I wrote, in the original post, this binocular cost me $240, not $300, in May, from Camera Land and it came with the adapter. Perhaps, I got a bargain.

Happy bird watching,

Wow, That is a nice deal you got Arthur.

Hello Annabeth,

The Demo is still listed at that price.

In fact, I thought that I was getting a lot of binocular for my money, even with adding the strap and the lens hoods.

P.S. We have a few inches of snow in NYC, making transport an ordeal. How is the weather treating you?
Happy bird watching,

Last edited:
I have the Leica Trinovid 8x42 demo on its way to me from CameraLand.
I ordered it today. I was going to buy my expensive bin purchase in early 2014, but was tipped off to this demo by a fellow BF member and felt I should grab it (saving $300).
I've never purchased from CL before, but heard very nice things about this store.

I'm burned out bin shopping lately. I just purchased an affordable 10x for duck watching at the reservoir, the Meopro and the Trinovid. I'm setting myself up for this coming year and for the long term trying to cover all of my nature viewing needs. The Meopro, as nice as it is, may not make the cut and the CL may remain instead. Either way I will have 3 bins for different usages.
I'm babbling ... I'll stop now.

We have about 5 inches I'd say about now and it's still coming down. I'm just having a lazy day today. :)

I have the Leica Trinovid 8x42 demo on its way to me from CameraLand.

We have about 5 inches I'd say about now and it's still coming down. I'm just having a lazy day today. :)

Annabeth,

Enjoy the Leica, as well. I buy from Camera Land, in person, as I live barely 2 miles, away. You are beginning to have a veritable stable of binoculars from which to chose. Are you going to carry more than one, at a time? I like to carry either an 8x32 or a combination, like the Meopro and a 10x32; or a 7x42 and a 10x32.
Right now, I am trying to decide whether to go to Central Park, this morning or not go. The Lake is probably iced over and the paths may be dangerous.

Happy bird watching,

Annabeth,

Enjoy the Leica, as well. I buy from Camera Land, in person, as I live barely 2 miles, away. You are beginning to have a veritable stable of binoculars from which to chose. Are you going to carry more than one, at a time? I like to carry either an 8x32 or a combination, like the Meopro and a 10x32; or a 7x42 and a 10x32.
Right now, I am trying to decide whether to go to Central Park, this morning or not go. The Lake is probably iced over and the paths may be dangerous.

Happy bird watching,

No, I doubt that I will carry two bins when out. I like to choose a spot or two and bring a suitable bin which could work ok in that environment. I used to carry a camera along, but stopped doing this since it was a bit cumbersome. I may want to get back into photography again someday however.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back