• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

IPD screw loose on discovery 8x32 (1 Viewer)

oracleman

Hello all,
I have a pair of discos 8x32. They are ideal for hiking as they are very light. But, with use, the IPD screw is loosening. This is bad as I must to recalibrate IPD every 5 mins. Any experience adjusting it?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Oh, no luck!!!! Pete, I tried to use the procedure inside the pdf but I feel no changes... The hinge is loose anyway. Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

Ah - OK. My colleagues in our service department tell me that you need to put a washer underneath the nut - probably best to contact them directly - send an email to Stuart at [email protected] and he can arrange to send the washer and some instructions.

Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete - unfortunately not. It's a different adjustment and because the diopter adjustment is on the centre hinge, there's a possibility that the focussing system can be broken if one is over-ambitious with the adjustment!

She is welcome to send the binocular back to our service department. The adjustment will almost certainly be done under warranty - the only reason it wouldn't be was if the binocular had suffered impact damage.

Cheers, Pete

Hi Pete - unfortunately not. It's a different adjustment and because the diopter adjustment is on the centre hinge, there's a possibility that the focussing system can be broken if one is over-ambitious with the adjustment!

She is welcome to send the binocular back to our service department. The adjustment will almost certainly be done under warranty - the only reason it wouldn't be was if the binocular had suffered impact damage.

Cheers, Pete
Thanks I will pass that on

I had the same issue with my 8x32 Discovery WP PC. After over a year of use it started happening. Eventually, it became so bad, that the hinge was absolutely loose and just closed itself in a couple of seconds. So today I have taken it to the shop where I bought them (Oryx, in Barcelona) so they can send them to Opticron for repair (since they're are covered by the guaratee).
As a general comment, I'm pleased with both the weight/size of the binos and their optical performance, but the built quality if far from perfect. After a few months of use the rubber cover of both eyepieces became absolutely loose (to the point that the entire rubber piece falls of when you uncap them). And the rubber cap that protects the hinge also fell off. I have a pair of Minox of lower price/range which I've had for longer and they're just as solid as the day I bought them.
Furthermore, I bought an Opticron MM3 60 travelscope which I also had to take back to the shop; after a few months, the main lens (the biggest piece) became loose (I noticed the scope was producing a clunky noise). Fortunately, the shop was able to repair it in less than 24 h (I hope the waterproof properties remain unchanged).

I've bought two Opticron products, and both have needed returning (for lesser or heavier issues). Maybe I've had bad luck with both Opticron products, I don't know.

I had the same issue with my 8x32 Discovery WP PC. After over a year of use it started happening. Eventually, it became so bad, that the hinge was absolutely loose and just closed itself in a couple of seconds. So today I have taken it to the shop where I bought them (Oryx, in Barcelona) so they can send them to Opticron for repair (since they're are covered by the guaratee).
As a general comment, I'm pleased with both the weight/size of the binos and their optical performance, but the built quality if far from perfect. After a few months of use the rubber cover of both eyepieces became absolutely loose (to the point that the entire rubber piece falls of when you uncap them). And the rubber cap that protects the hinge also fell off. I have a pair of Minox of lower price/range which I've had for longer and they're just as solid as the day I bought them.
Furthermore, I bought an Opticron MM3 60 travelscope which I also had to take back to the shop; after a few months, the main lens (the biggest piece) became loose (I noticed the scope was producing a clunky noise). Fortunately, the shop was able to repair it in less than 24 h (I hope the waterproof properties remain unchanged).

I've bought two Opticron products, and both have needed returning (for lesser or heavier issues). Maybe I've had bad luck with both Opticron products, I don't know.
In my opinion I think you must have been very unlucky. My wife and myself have been Opticron users for a long time and my only fault has been a lost name plate on my Countryman 8x32 bins which was replaced by post and I stuck it on myself. Any other queries have been promptly answered so hope you have better experiences in the future

Yes, you could be right, and your reasoning and experience shows it. I guess a big percentage of Opticron users gets a flawless product. In fact, I do value Opticron products greatly, they're fit for function (small, light, with good optical quality), but this is my experience, that I posted since I experienced exactly what the original poster is going through (a crazy hypothesis; since the original poster also bought the binos in Spain, maybe a batch that was sent to Spain shares the same flaw).

Yarrellii

You canvass as a remote possibility that a bad batch of Opticron 8x32 Discovery WP PC's may have been sent for sale to Spain.

I had the same problem as you with the hinge of an Opticron 8x32 Discovery WP PC that I bought new on behalf of a friend in 2011 off Cameraworld in London. Opticron recently kindly repaired the fault.

So I can say, if it helps you, that binoculars suffering from the problem were not sold just in Spain.

Like Pete Seaman, I have had generally very good experience with Opticron products, just one binocular with a loose diopter setting ring that I fixed myself. The faulty Discovery is the sole exception.

Stephen

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back