• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Keep your Opticron receipt and pass it on if you sell it. (1 Viewer)

The-Wanderer

I have been interested in buying an Opticron binocular with a 30 year warranty. I contacted Opticron to ascertain the year of manufacture. Although the line was introduced in 2003 and I supplied the serial number, Opticron needs the original purchase receipt as it has no means of identifying the date of manufacture.

This may apply to other Opticron products so if you are buying used, I suggest that you obtain the original receipt and if you are selling, pass on that receipt with the sale.

Of course, such advice may apply to other brands as well.

I have been interested in buying an Opticron binocular with a 30 year warranty. I contacted Opticron to ascertain the year of manufacture. Although the line was introduced in 2003 and I supplied the serial number, Opticron needs the original purchase receipt as it has no means of identifying the date of manufacture.

This may apply to other Opticron products so if you are buying used, I suggest that you obtain the original receipt and if you are selling, pass on that receipt with the sale.

Of course, such advice may apply to other brands as well.

I bought a second hand 10x42 DBA Oasis WP from this site, without the original receipt, and Opticron transferred the remaining term of the 30 year warranty as they were able to tell when they supplied them to the supplier in the UK by the serial number. I also sent it in for a repair a little later as both lens barrels were not quite focusing at the precise time, this was undertaken under the warranty foc.
When I sell them I won't have the original receipt but the new owner will be able to register the warranty.

I had a clear answer on this date of manufacture issue. May contact Pete Gamby - I presume he is on his way to Photokina - when he gets back.

Last edited:
I bought a HR66 scope with SDLv2 eyepiece a couple of years ago which I registered online but I was unable to find a serial number anywhere. So I hope my 30yr warranty still applies.

I bought a HR66 scope with SDLv2 eyepiece a couple of years ago which I registered online but I was unable to find a serial number anywhere. So I hope my 30yr warranty still applies.

If it is the current HR 66 GA ED then the serial number can be found on the tripod foot, you will have to remove the tripod quick release plate to view it. Your warranty is a 30 year warranty if it is the current model

Chris Galvin
Opticron

Not leaving for Photokina until tomorrow :)

We have only maintained a database of serial numbers for models leaving our warehouse (as opposed to product registration by customers -see below) since 2008 so for any of the 10 or 30 year warranty models purchased prior to that date, unfortunately we do need some indication of when the item was purchased.

If the current owner doesn't have the original receipt then any other info they do have (approx date, which dealer it was bought from, was the product registered etc) can help us determine when the item was sold.

We will always ask for a copy of the receipt as that makes things absolutely clear but it is NOT a requirement that you have it to make a warranty claim.

Similarly with serial numbers, we do not require these to be registered at time of purchase but it helps us (and you) if they are.

Also, if you buy second hand, you can re-register the product in your name.

Our product registration database goes back as far as 2002 which means we can sometimes find the original purchase information there.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back