• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some gull recoveries (1 Viewer)

MTem

Just of interest .... if you have any!

Just got the data from my group on some 2016 sightings of birds I ringed in Essex previously.

While (as you might expect) most of the colour ring sightings were relatively close by (SE England and the Channel coast), a few were noteworthy I think, and demonstrate how far, and relatively how quickly some birds travel - even birds under mature breeding age.

Two Herring gulls, ringed as 5 (second calendar year) in Dec 15
1. seen Batsfjord, Finnmark, Norway 2586km NNE in Jun 16
2. seen Helsingborg, Sweden 944km NE Apr16

It seems likely these were argentatus HG's, but ID-ing this in immatures is virtually impossible with certainty

An adult LBBG ringed Oct 15 seen Praia de Mira, Portugal 1387km SSE Nov16

Two BHG, both adult
1. ringed Oct 15, seen Hakalanniemi, Finland 1790km NE Jun 16
2. ringed Jan 16, seen Ojebyn, Sweden 1938km NNE Apr 16

I see a BHG (JJ03) that commutes annually between breeding near Oslo and Swanbourne Lake, near Arundel in West Sussex. Been doing it for at least 3 years.

Nothing earth-shattering here I know, but serves to demonstrate the 'internationality' requirement of bird conservation.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back