• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Private Tour NE Brazil March 3rd- 18th (1 Viewer)

Just WOW!!
Wonderful trip notes.
Will you be comfortable adding a summary with links to the people and places?

Of course

I have a few more birding days \ locations still to write up and post (there are still a couple of absolute highlights to come ;)) but will then add a summary with more details of Itinerary, Places, contacts etc

Regards
Dave

Birds from Poções area

Blue Winged Macaw
Cactus (Caatinga) Parakeet
Guira Cuckoo
Buff throated Purpletuft

Attachments

• Blue-winged-Macaw2.jpg
    Blue-winged-Macaw2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Cactus-Parakeet.jpg
    Cactus-Parakeet.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 53
  • Guira-Cuckoo.jpg
    Guira-Cuckoo.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Buff-throated-Purpletuft.jpg
    Buff-throated-Purpletuft.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 69
more from around Poções and Serra bonita

Weids Tryrant-manakin
Pink-legged Graveteiro
Rufous Gnateater
Red-necked Tanager

Attachments

• Weids-Tyrant-Manakin reduced.jpg
    Weids-Tyrant-Manakin reduced.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Pink-legged-Graveteiro.jpg
    Pink-legged-Graveteiro.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Rufous-Gnateater.jpg
    Rufous-Gnateater.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Red-necked-Tanager.jpg
    Red-necked-Tanager.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 57
Great report

Great report despite the terrible start and you still managed some great shots even with the problems you had.

Serra Bonita Reserve

We had a full day here to explore the reserve with a number of specific targets, one being the Pink-legged Graveteiro that was not as important on todays list as we got to see a pair en route to here yesterday afternoon, but it didn't stop us seeing at least 3 more birds here, although as Ciro had already suggested the views may not be as good, he was right as they stayed in the under canopy all-day today. After breakfast we quickly checked out the feeders where a Black Jacobin and Sombre Hummingbird still fought for the feeder, while a single Red-necked Tanager perched quietly, possibly waiting for the bananas to be put out. We set off heading onto the reserves main tarmac road which would take us down to a slightly lower elevation, before we left the parking bay we saw a locally common but rare Atlantic race (soon to be split) Rufous-brown Solitaire, a few individuals put on a show for us and were joined by two Chestnut-crowned Becards, which would be our only sighting of the trip. A Sharpbill gave a fleeting view but as the day progressed we would hear plenty more with their distinctive call and get superb views and photo opportunities later in better light. We set off downhill and immediately came across some of the common species such as Variegated Flycatcher, Golden-crowned Warblers, yet more Sooty Grassquits that were surprisingly common and conspicuous, Long-tailed Tyrant, Palm and Sayaca Tanagers, be careful and check the Sayaca Tanagers as they also record Azure Shouldered Tanagers here!

The morning sun started to come up even though most of it was filtered out by the forest but it now allowed us good views of pretty much everything we saw ...... well almost!

I had a personal lifer fest for the next few hours, Rufous-headed Tanager, Pale-browed Treehunter, Grey-fronted Dove, stunning Black-throated Grosbeak, and one of my most wanted trip species Eastern-striped Manakin which gave us 5 minutes or so of good views but was an active fella that kept moving enough to keep just out of any sort of good camera shot, Spot-breasted Antvireo, however the rare Plumbeous Antvireo that called out around every corner and on every track was an absolute fecker to see, hours and hours later, one, then two darted across the track only giving the very briefest of views. Everything else by comparison fell into place as the day unfolded. Not everything were lifers, but forests usually attracted thrushes and Yellow-legged and White-necked Thrushes, and add a pair of Thrush-like Wrens displaying which were a nice lifer and made sure the activity was constant as we looked for the other targets. Nearly 400 bird species have been recorded on this reserve ad today Ciro would find two more that he thought had not been recorded here. We headed up towards a telecom tower specifically to look for Bahia Tyrannulet in a reliable spot. Alas not now, we searched the area thoroughly and did manage other species, Violet Capped Woodnymph, Tropical Pewee, Chilean Eleneas, Orange-bellied Euphonia, then Ciro heard a rare Three-Striped Flycatcher call so we headed towards it..... it gave stunning views, but right at the telecom tower itself was the surprise of the day. Ciro called Jeff and myself over and perched up and out in the open enjoying the sunshine was a rather stunning male Swallow-tailed Cotinga, this certainly wasn't on my trip list and probably the surprise bird of the tour. Happy with that we were about to set off downhill when Ciro spotted amongst the Grey-breasted Martins and Blue-and White Swallows a reserve first sighting of a Purple Martin. Sometimes the simple birds have a huge impact at a certain time, Ciro was happy for sure, we were all happy with the stunning Swallow-tailed Cotinga. We continued to look for the Bahia Tyrannulet and almost in the exact same spot that we searched an hour or so before, we found a small flock of them, frustratingly they stayed high in the canopy of the highest trees. Jeff and Ciro managed a Bran-coloured Flycatcher just before we left the area, it was one that I didn't need to delay the adventure for as I had seen many in Venezuela.

We would bird our way back towards the lodge for dinner and would pick up plenty more, a very showy Ferruginous Antbird, two lifers in the same tree, White-barred Piculet and a Suracua Trogan, it always a nice feeling when your walking downhill having just bagged two lifers almost on the same branch. We now hit a stretch of track that gave us the views of the reserves highlight bird with at least half a dozen Pink-legged Graveteiros, more views of Flame-crested Tanagers, this time a pair moving the through with a mixed flock that also held, Common-tody flycatchers, Green Honeycreepers, Blue Dacnis, Pallid Spinetails, Striated Softtail, White-bearded Manakin (again a bloody female), Black-capped Becard, a lifer with a Greyish Mourner, Plain Xenops and Sepia-capped Flycatcher. As good as Ciro is even he commented that sometimes birdwaves such as this isn't the best birding, too many, not enough time, try to get on the right bird...... its difficult, even though its mightily exciting for a visiting birdwatcher. I think the flock consisted of about 12+ species. Not part of the flock but in the same area we had Lesser Woodcreeper, Red-stained Woodpecker a lifer, Ruddy-quail Dove that kept giving views as we tracked it down the road, at last a male Blue Manakin a family of Bahia Spinetails and a Lemon-throated Greenlet. At this point Ciro was stopped in his tracks as he was surprised to hear and see a Red-billed Sythbill. This form was new for the reserve and is from a group that has an extremely small distribution and is a probable future split. A little further on Jeff and Ciro managed to see a perched Mantled Hawk, it flew before I had caught up. Ciro had an Idea that we should go back to the telecom tower as there would be a good raptor viewing point, the plan worked as we got onto probably the same Mantled Hawk in flight. We added great views of a Spixs Spinetail

Back at the research centre we had lunch and enjoyed the veranda feeders again, new for the day were the Cliff flycatchers that nest in and around the roof, a close view of the lovely Yellow-throated Woodpecker and at last we got our first sighting of King Vultures flying over head. At least four but probably six flew over in a five minute spell. We retired to the lodge for an early afternoon break where a Hook-billed Hermit flew onto the balcony, Ciro heard one outside the accommodation block but it didn't show, just to be safe and to ensure I definitely got the lifer we did manage to see one in the flesh this afternoon. This afternoons birding would only have a couple of targets, apart from the Hook-billed Hermit, we would need, Variegated Antpitta and Spot-billed Toucanet. We didn't do too bad although the birding slowed down greatly, but we added a lifer with a Rough-legged Tyrannulet, and now managed super views of the very smart Sharpbill as well as a Salvadoris Antwren. Jeff found a tree that held upto five Spot-billed Toucanets, while Ciro heard the last target bird, it was calling but some distance away. We tracked the Variegated Antpitta over a hundreds of yards often it back tracked in the direction that we had already walked, At last we got onto it as we looked down into a shallow valley as it came fleetingly out into the open a few times, just at the wrong moment as we could have tracked in further, a large family of Wieds Black ear-Marmoset came through the canopy, the bird was gone. We added a Gray Elaenia before heading for a beer on the veranda and to watch the feeders before sundown. We now managed to pick out the Azure-shouldered Tanager from the Sayaca Tanagers. The Maroon-bellied Parakeets and a Sombre Hummingbird kept us company before the sun left us.

This evening we spent time in the research centre with Vitor looking at his incredible and vast moth collection (over 300,000) that he has collected from across the continent. He also showed us the currently undescribed species that he is just about to describe and name.

It had been an epic days birding in a stunning reserve, with fabulous hosts, tomorrow we have a short time to bird the lowlands of Serra Bonita before travelling to Porto Seguro

Last edited:
Birds of Serra Bonita

Swallow-tailed Cotinga
Plain Xenops
King Vulture
Long-tailed Tyrant

Attachments

• Swallow-tailed-Cotinga.jpg
    Swallow-tailed-Cotinga.jpg
    845.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Plain-Xenops.jpg
    Plain-Xenops.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 60
  • King-Vulture.jpg
    King-Vulture.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Long-tailed-Tyyrant.jpg
    Long-tailed-Tyyrant.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
more from Serra Bonita Reserve

Sharpbill
Azure-shouldered Tanager
Maroon-bellied Parakeet
Weids black eared-Marmoset

Attachments

• Sharpbill.jpg
    Sharpbill.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Azure-shouldered-Tanager.jpg
    Azure-shouldered-Tanager.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 58
  • Maroon-bellied-Parakeet.jpg
    Maroon-bellied-Parakeet.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Marmoset.jpg
    Marmoset.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Spot-billed Toucanet
Spixs`s Spinetail
Three-striped Flycatcher

Attachments

• Spot-billed-Toucanet2.jpg
    Spot-billed-Toucanet2.jpg
    953.1 KB · Views: 71
  • Spixs-Spinetail.jpg
    Spixs-Spinetail.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Three-stripped-Flycatcher.jpg
    Three-stripped-Flycatcher.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 67
Serra Bonita reserve - Porto Seguro, Veracel reserve

Leisurely breakfast and a last look at what had been the local species for the past 36 hours, the feeding area and veranda held the species that we had seen during our stay, Maroon Bellied Parakeets, Violacious Euphonia, Red-necked Tanager, Black Jacobin, Sombre Hummingbird, Sayaca Tanager but this morning they were joined by a Buff-throated Saltator, our first of the trip. As we packed up we somewhat surprisingly heard and then saw another Sharp-tailed Streamcreeper, a host of the usual flycatchers including a first sighting for us at the reserve of a Social Flycatcher (Three-stripped, Boat-billed and Variegated had been the default large flycatcher around the reserve) . We said our goodbye to our excellent host Vitor, and travelled down the mountainside with a few targets to mop up before we left. It didn't take long to see a single Golden-capped Parakeet in virtually the same place that we saw it on the way upto the reserve a few days ago. Then quite soon after and slightly further down the road we had a fantastic flock of over twenty White-eared Parakeets, well worth stopping for half an hour to enjoy their noisy antics. To compliment the Parakeet morning we got onto a distant single White-eyed Parakeet, albeit in the scope. As we travelled through the villages we were quickly reminded of the change of elevation and habitat as we were back to seeing plenty of Smooth-billed Ani and farmland species, its amazing how you quickly forget them while bird-watching in thick vegetation, or watching birds that spend their time high in the canopy.

Before we completely left the Camacan area Ciro headed down a narrow track as he had a spot for a Bright-rumped Attilla, it didn't take long to find, while Jeff and Ciro also got onto a few Green-headed Tanagers, this is one that I will have to track down in the few remaining days of the tour. Even with the windows up and the air con on, Ciro somehow managed to hear a Chestnut-backed Antshrike as good as he is with bird calls this one was over and above his bird guiding duties, a superb find. So we stopped suddenly and deep within some large dense roadside bushes we found a fantastic male which eventuallyposed for the camera, brilliant lifer, just for good measure we got in the adjacent tree another lifer with a Grey-crowned Flycatcher....... what a great unexpected stop, don't you just love it when the birding gods are with you. At the bottom of the mountain and forested area, Ciro wanted to stop at a pool that would give us great views looking upto the Serra Bonita reserve to allow us to admire the habitat that we had enjoyed over the that 2 days. Sure enough the view was fantastic while on the pool Brazilian Teal, Wattled Jacana and Least Grebe were accompanied in the rushes by a Rufescent Tiger-heron, Chestnut-capped and White-browed Blackbirds and near by a Silvery-flanked Antwren. Before we got back into the car Ciro nonchalantly pointed out half a dozen Peach-fronted Parakeets, what a morning for Parakeets including two lifers. Eventually having to drag ourselves away we hit the road heading towards the coast and the holiday town of Porto Seguro. We arrived lunch time booked in and planned to head off to the Veracel reserve mid afternoon. We would have four sessions on the reserve, this afternoon, full day tomorrow and a morning to mop up anything that we may miss. With some big targets here and the trip drawing to an end we were hopeful of some great birding. The Veracel reserve which is a Lowland Atlantic forest on a white sand base but it holds several rarities such as Hooked-billed Hermit, which luckily we didn't need now, Reichenows Parrot, Red-browed Parrot, Ochre-marked Parakeet, Band-tailed Antwren, Bahia Antwren, White-winged Potoo, White-winged Cotinga and Banded Cotinga which is very rare, but here is the best place to try. We would have a few hours to pick up some bits and bobs of species, but this evenings real target was the White Winged Potoo. The bits and bobs started well as we had only just passed the headquarters of the Veracel Environmental station when Ciro pointed out a very smart White-bellied Tanager Tangara brasiliensis (ssp of the Turquoise Tanager) which is limited to coastal NE Brazil, it was here that we saw yet another Hook-billed Hermit and a new for the trip, Dusky-capped Flycatcher. A host of other species new for the trip but not necessarily lifers were Swallow-winged Puffbirds which if you are in the right place always turn out to be common, Red-legged Honeycreeper....ditto, we found a few good spots to watch the ever calling Sooretama Slaty-Antistrike, we had a good view of the future split with a Brown Shiffornis (from the Rufous-throated Shiffornis), while at least three King Vultures soared lazily high over the forest. In amongst the many Blue Dacnis and Red-legged Honeycreepers appeared one of our main targets with at least a pair of Bahia Antwrens, giving surprisingly good views out in the open. A pair of Wedge-billed Woodcreepers (also new for the trip, and our only sighting of the trip), were supported by a Buff-throated Woodcreeper Xiphorhynchus guttatus guttatus which has a very isolated population on the Atlantic coast.

With a little light left we parked up at a flowering bush and watched a host of Hummingbirds feed, a few species that we had followed around for most of the trip such as Reddish Hermit, Swallow-tailed Hummingbird and Violet-capped Woodnymph but the bush also held three more species of Hummingbird that would be additions to the trip list with a pair of Rufous-throated Sapphire's which were a lifer for me, also a few Blue-chinned Sapphire's and White-chinned Sapphire's. White-crowned Manakins gave close views nearby and would continue to do so for the next few days. With the daylight virtually gone now we headed off to another part of the forest in search of White-winged Potoo. To keep the paragraph short as it was a fairly lengthy night, we waited at the spot and heard it call on many occasions but it was distant, we stayed put for 90 miutes or so but just couldn't get it to come closer (this had been its favoured spot and was seen regularly over the preceding weeks), the weather had now turned against us as drizzle set in and eventually turned to constant rain that would force an early exit. We tried a few other known spots and had no calls and eventually returned to the favoured spot but we had now lost contact wit the bird as the calling stopped On leaving the thick bush we had picked up a call from a Black-capped Screech-owl and while navigating in the rain, dark and with umbrellas we managed to spot the little fella and get a few reasonable images, a saving grace to the nights work but disappointed not to quite get the Potoo..... oh well we have all day tomorrow to go again.

Last edited:
Fantastic report and great photos too. Many commiserations for the terrible start. Must have been gut wrenching but looks like you've managed to not let it ruin the trip. I've experienced similar but not in Brazil. Sounds like you don't want to dwell on it but I can't be alone in being curious about the details. I've been to Brazil many times and am always very wary in the big cities and airports - it has such a bad reputation - as I'm sure you must have been. So I'm kind of wondering what to look out for for next time but feel to ignore my request for gory details!

Birds of Veracel reserve

Bahia Antwren
Chestnut-backed Antshrike (near Serra bonita)
Black-capped Screech-owl
Sooretama Slaty-Antshrike

Attachments

• Bahia-Antwren.jpg
    Bahia-Antwren.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Chestnut-backed-Antshrike.jpg
    Chestnut-backed-Antshrike.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Black-Capped-Screech-Owl2.jpg
    Black-Capped-Screech-Owl2.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Sooretama-Slaty-Antshrike.jpg
    Sooretama-Slaty-Antshrike.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 60
Fantastic report and great photos too. Many commiserations for the terrible start. Must have been gut wrenching but looks like you've managed to not let it ruin the trip. I've experienced similar but not in Brazil. Sounds like you don't want to dwell on it but I can't be alone in being curious about the details. I've been to Brazil many times and am always very wary in the big cities and airports - it has such a bad reputation - as I'm sure you must have been. So I'm kind of wondering what to look out for for next time but feel to ignore my request for gory details!

Not sure I want to advertise all the gory in too much detail on here, I will send you (and others on request) a little more detail in a PM. A few things to note were that the police were on strike so I only had an Airport security guard to help me and we couldn't communicate with each other, no-one else spoke English (until I eventually got to a check-in desk) and I had a connecting flight to catch with time ticking away, so all in all it was a pretty lonely experience having just been robbed of everything. I was outside the domestic departure lounge when I was robbed. Could have been worse, as I had my passport \ phone \ credit card in my hand so at least I could move on quickly and get to Fortaleza to meet my guide. I did contemplate coming home but figured that trying to organise flights in the mood that I was in would have been difficult, anyway we move on and enjoy the birds :smoke:

Buff-throated Woodcreeper
White-eared Parakeet
Big critter

Attachments

• Buff-throated Woodcreeper.jpg
    Buff-throated Woodcreeper.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 39
  • White-eared-Parakeet.jpg
    White-eared-Parakeet.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 44
  • Tarantula.jpg
    Tarantula.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 62
Full day in Veracel, and a magical moment

An early start and a short 30 minute drive to the Veracel reserve outside Porto Seguro. A few specials were on the list especially a pair of Cotingas, White-winged and Banded, plus a few Parrots and Parakeets..

We parked up pretty much in the middle of the reserve in a spot that would allow open views of the skyline and a 360 degree view of the tree tops. It worked pretty well as in all directions we were able to scope dozens of White-Winged Cotingas, in almost every direction. One particular distant tree held upto 8 birds including immature birds. The rain that was fairly heavy during the drive to the reserve had subsided to annoying showers that were heavy enough to make us take cover but not prolonged enough to affect the bird activity too much, it was more about keeping the optics dry. A Rusty Margined Guan was perched in the gloom just inside the forest edge and a pair of rare and sought after Red-browed Parrots flew directly over our heads against a very dark sky, without Ciro IDing the call from way off it was one that we would certainly have missed if we were on our own. We ate breakfast under the shelter of the hatchback and continued in vein to scope every tree for the Banded Cotinga. As it happened this spot was pretty good for the more common species as Blue Dacnis, Red-Legged Honeycreepers, Bananaquits, White-crowned Manakins were abundant. I have become accustomed to not take these fellas for granted, I always get back to the UK and wish I had species such as these flying around my garden. We stayed here for the best part of three hours with Ciro constantly scanning but every now and again picking up some great birds and target birds. Another Black-necked Aracari showed a little nearer than our last sighting from Serra Bonita a few days ago. We had heard Plain Parakeets early this morning and Ciro was confident we would see then later, of course he was right, a small flock flew overhear and landed a short distance infront of us and an Ochre-bellied Flycatcher gave great views in some bushes near the car, it would be joined by a Bahia Antwren, which was now becoming a common bird during the last 24hrs. When we finally got onto a single flyover Ochre-marked Parakeet giving us the full set (or so we thought), Ciro suggested we go hunting the Banded Cotinga in other locations. The rain and showers slowly subsided giving us some sunshine, Grey-rumped Swifts astonishingly the first we had seen in two weeks and Southern Rough-winged Swallows took advantage of the better weather. We found a patch of thinly vegetated and open forest edge that Ciro thought we may have a chance of a Frilled Coquette, he even though for a second that one had just flown off as we turned towards a flowering bush, we never made contact with it (would have been a highlight if we had), we did manage yet another female Manakin, this time a Red-Headed Manakin, a Black-eared Fairy was not consolation for the Coquette, but the Eared Pygmy-tyrant was a lifer as was the Silver-breasted Tanager. We continued to drive looking for possible Cotinga locations, and at one of these we were able to park up and enjoy some spectacular wildlife for an hour or more. Unfortunately a Black-headed Berryeater (good bird to get and certainly on the must get wish list), called, called, called and didn't show, Ciro tried hard for us but couldn't work his magic. A Zone-tailed Hawk had been patrolling the area for a while and everybird in the location had become agitated. This natural flushing proved to be pretty good for us as a pair of White-winged Cotingas came down into the trackside trees giving super close views, miles better than the scoped views this morning in the drizzle. Buff-throated Saltators, Saffron Finches, Rufous Horneros, a trip first pair of Swallow Tanagers all congregated in the area to check out the hawk. High above, two King Vultures were being mobbed by a spec in the sky, the spec that spec to my eyes initially could have been a Sparrow it turned out to be a Roadside Hawk, the King Vulture is huge, it was a great size comparison moment.

Ciros eared pricked up, he got excited and couldn't get his words out, "there, quick, follow..... Brown-backed Parrotlets" six flew over, not great views as it all happed a bit quickly. Ciro started to tell us the tale of one of only a few ever Brazilian Twitches that he has ever made, one being a 2000km Twitch for the extremely rare and hard to find Brown-backed Parrotlet, while grinning from ear to ear and relating the tale, blimey more flew over coming right at us overhead giving stunning and prolonged views, I counted another eleven, could have been more. Certainly the highlight of the morning.... upto now! the Berryeater continued to frustrate us. We watched a Sloth in a distant tree and we hadn't noticed Ciro taking a call on his phone, the next few minutes were incredible. Picture Ciro the local guide, arguably the best in NE Brazil, driving like a mad man (we weren't complaining), the bumps and craters in the track that he normaly gently rides over were now launch pads as he hit everyone at speed, muttering Cotinga, Cotinga.

We arrived at the Veracel Station, way back through the reserve. Security guard let us in and Ciro was met with hugs by some very excited staff. This morning they had seen a pair of male Banded Cotinga feeding in the açai palm trees, almost immediately we were looking high up into the canopy, where sat perched, was the most stunning male Banded Cotinga. (The second male was not seen by us). A group of staff, Ciro, Jeff and myself strained our necks, it was incredible. It flew off to the other side of the garden, this time the view was pretty poor, but we couldn't complain. We had about twenty minutes of this bird perched, high above us, then it decided it wanted to feed. It flew to another açai palm tree just a few yards away and the following images kind of give you an idea of what we witnessed for the next 10 minutes or so as it fed on the fruits. It fed and flew into the canopy again where it perched and digested the fruit. There were an accompanying pair of stunning Yellow-throated Woodpeckers, a variety of Tanagers, Thrushes,Masked Water-tyrants and Rufous Horneros in the grounds so the Cotinga didn't quite get all the attention.

What we had just witnessed were almost unprecedented views for birdwatchers, Ciro put the following message out onto a bird alert, it is of course translated by me from Portuguese into English for the purposes of this post.

MEGA, MEGA, MEGA!!! Very close views of Banded Cotinga today!!!
A very special day in the veracel station rppn!! was since dawn passarinhando in reserve, and as always the very rare banded cotinga was one of the main wishes of the observers that I'm driving. We had seen about 15 Anambé-of-a-Wing-White until 10.00 in the morning, and still nothing of banded cotinga; until 10:15 p.m. my brother of pity Luciano Lima, who is coordinating a project of observation of birds here on the coast of discovery, sends me a picture of the bug, newly taken at the headquarters of the veracruz station by Environmental Analyst of the reserve, Priscilla Sales Gomes. The Beast has been sighted (for the first time this season on the outskirts of the headquarters of the reserve) by the official veracel (and local guide) Jaílson Souza, which showed the beast to Priscilla, who photographed and sent the photo / news for Luciano, I knew I'd be in the region these days and warned me of the find. Were less than ten minutes between the receipt of the news until the arrival on the scene. The result was that in there, and it is the tip to the observers who can come to the place in the next few days. This bug fantastic giving soft is a rare event / opportunity. I, that I've seen the species several times, I shook me one more time to see that animal, mind-blowing, and practically hallucinogen so close again. I don't have more vague on the agenda of passarinhadas this year, but for those who want to come to take your chances (I would), I would recommend scheduling a visit with the Jaílson Souza; not only to the mind-blowing banded cotinga, but for several species that you have Great chances to observe in the discovery coast.

So there we have it, we could have been 2000kms away, we just happened to be 15 minutes away, shear shear good fortune, incredible luck, incredible bird, incredible experience, incredible two hours of my life, but the bad news was that the bastard Black-headed Berryeater continued to give us the run around we went back for lunch in Porto Seguro at the incredible restaurant Portinha where the food was fantastic, you must try this place for lunch if your ever in the city.

This afternoon we would head back in to the forest, we dare not go back for another sighting of the Cotinga, it was hard enough to drag ourselves away this morning, we had a Potoo and Berryeater to find.

We were still buzzing and its a good job I keep a note book as I cant really remember the afternoon, I can name a few birds that we saw, Black-capped Becard, Plain Winged Woodcreeper, Black-throated Trogon, Screaming Phia. I had known that I would proably record my 2000th world species on this tour, and it came with a Ringed Woodpecker, pretty chuffed with the score, pretty chuffed that it was a Woodpecker.... I like Woodpeckers.

As the day drew on we planned to take a roiute that may give us a chance to catch a Tinamou or two as the light faded, we would then go and retry for the White-winged Potoo. We managed to get onto one of our last targets of the reserve with a Band-tailed Antwren and we set off down a track that was pretty dark with the intention of spotlighting roosting Tinamous, we didn't succeed, but we found a new location for a calling White-winged Potoo. We were close, probably right underneath it but for all our efforts we never managed even a snippet of a view, thinking back, we were so close, we didn't realise at the time how near yet so far away we were to getting this most wanted target bird. We continued to search in vein and returned to the previous nights locations and only heard distant calls. The saving grace to the evening session, was much like yesterday this time my lifer was a Tawny-browed Owl.

So for the second night we missed the Potoo, the consolation was the MEGA,MEGA, MEGA Banded Cotinga, we will sleep fairly happily tonight, we have another go tomorrow!

Last edited:
cant resist a quick photo....

I will put up many more later but here is a view of that bird :eek!:

Attachments

• Banded-Cotinga---Copy.jpg
    Banded-Cotinga---Copy.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 93
Banded Cotinga

when we arrived on site, we were more than happy with the views that we got of this stunner.......

Attachments

• Banded-Cotinga3.jpg
    Banded-Cotinga3.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Banded-Cotinga5.jpg
    Banded-Cotinga5.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 51
  • Banded-Cotinga6.jpg
    Banded-Cotinga6.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 55
  • Banded-Cotinga4a.jpg
    Banded-Cotinga4a.jpg
    924.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Then there was this

Nearly there.....

Attachments

• Banded-Cotinga8.jpg
    Banded-Cotinga8.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Banded-Cotinga9.jpg
    Banded-Cotinga9.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Banded-Cotinga11.jpg
    Banded-Cotinga11.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Banded-Cotinga12.jpg
    Banded-Cotinga12.jpg
    387.4 KB · Views: 53
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back