• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (3 Viewers)

Hi Laurie,

Parkstones have not on my last visit set up their concrete, Brick, Rubble recyling machine so I believe the gate is blocked all week and weekends. Thus getting birders to use the Middleton Hall entrance before fleets of HGV' s start travelling up the access road.

Regards, John
I don't come in that way very often but as far as I know it's just weekends when the gates are closed.

I did a morning visit, the only waders I saw other than a few Lapwing were 3 Green Sandpiper on the hall lake. There was a Little Egret and a Wigeon on north pit, Common Tern were down to 2 birds but the highlight was my first Coal Tit since February near the feeding station.
Later in the day things picked up with a Marsh Harrier, 5+ Garganey, Mandarin (148th species 2012) and a Black-tailed Godwit (per TP).
Bad news reported by a volunteer. The only vehicle access bridge to the reserve over the canal has been deemed unsafe, so no work can be carried out such as new hides, bridge over the river or the marshland in the central section. Lets hope something gets sorted.
Geoff

I did a morning visit, the only waders I saw other than a few Lapwing were 3 Green Sandpiper on the hall lake. There was a Little Egret and a Wigeon on north pit, Common Tern were down to 2 birds but the highlight was my first Coal Tit since February near the feeding station.
Later in the day things picked up with a Marsh Harrier, 5+ Garganey, Mandarin (148th species 2012) and a Black-tailed Godwit (per TP).
Bad news reported by a volunteer. The only vehicle access bridge to the reserve over the canal has been deemed unsafe, so no work can be carried out such as new hides, bridge over the river or the marshland in the central section. Lets hope something gets sorted.
Geoff

Hi Geoff - were the Garganey all together?

Yes the 5 garganey were all together viewable from bench at north end this evening though often hiding! I actually suspect there may be quite a few more but it is very hard to get all birds on view at same time.

Yes the 5 garganey were all together viewable from bench at north end this evening though often hiding! I actually suspect there may be quite a few more but it is very hard to get all birds on view at same time.

Thanks Tom - having read about some of the fantastic numbers on the Ouse Washes a week or two ago it wouldnt be long before they started to filter across the country.

It was good to see that 6 Garganey and a Black-tailed Godwit were still on the north pit this morning but no sign of the Mandarin. 3 Snipe were on the north pit and 5 Green Sandpiper on the hall lake.
We are now on 149 species for the year with yesterdays Yellow-legged Gull found by TP.
I was told that someone is coming to check the canal bridge for vehicle access today, so fingers crossed it's still OK to use.
Geoff

Morning visit, I spoke to 2 birders who had already been round who said they'd had a Greenshank, 2 Mandarin and 17 Goosander at the north end, so I hurried on down there but saw none of them just 2 Garganey and 3 Snipe, maybe they had been put off by the regular Sunday clay pigeon shoot over the river. I did get to try the new bench halfway down the west side of the north pit, it should be quite useful although I was told benches cost £700, I was also told that they can get wooden railway sleepers for £16. We had a few benches at Sheepwash Urban Park made from sleepers about 10 years ago and they were still going strong the last time I looked.
Geoff

Sleepers sound a much cheaper and more robust option than dudey benches, what price austerity? A quick visit to SW last Sunday did'nt produce anything of note unfortunately...

ATB Laurie:t:

Yesterdays highlights were 1 Little Egret, an influx of at least 12 Wigeon, 1 Hobby, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 2 Green Sandpiper on Hall Lake and a Curlew was reported.
This morning 2 Garganey were on the north pit, a Water Rail was seen on new reedbed pool, 13 Snipe on the north pit and 4 Green Sandpiper Hall Lake. A Grey Wagtail was by the farm barn. A Black-tailed Godwit was reported.
63 species of birds have been seen so far this month, which brings me to the all day Autumn bird count next Saturday Sept. 8th, I will be in Lincs. all next week but if anyone notes any birds that day can they list them on this forum.
Geoff

Yesterdays highlights were 1 Little Egret, an influx of at least 12 Wigeon, 1 Hobby, 1 Yellow Wagtail, 2 Green Sandpiper on Hall Lake and a Curlew was reported.
This morning 2 Garganey were on the north pit, a Water Rail was seen on new reedbed pool, 13 Snipe on the north pit and 4 Green Sandpiper Hall Lake. A Grey Wagtail was by the farm barn. A Black-tailed Godwit was reported.
63 species of birds have been seen so far this month, which brings me to the all day Autumn bird count next Saturday Sept. 8th, I will be in Lincs. all next week but if anyone notes any birds that day can they list them on this forum.
Geoff

Just 63 Geoff? Think Upton has 80 already for September.

Highlights this morning were 3 Little Egret, 8 Snipe and a Curlew all on the north pit, 2 Green Sandpiper were on Hall Lake otherwise it was quiet.
Geoff

Hi folks, a nice morning around Middleton Hall today. Lots of Red Admirals & Small Tortoiseshell butterflies around. Hobby over the river & Sparrowhawk over the cut. A couple of female Widgeon on the pits.

Had a mooch down ther today - not much spotted by me but the hobby was putting on cracking show catching dragonflies.

Attachments

• hobby.jpg
    hobby.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 52

Users who are viewing this thread

Back