• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (20 Viewers)

Glad you got your pic's in the end Pete. Did you manage to get little one a sleep? We had cracking views of Hawfinch at Lynford in the paddock, and nice flock of Redpoles and siskin by the bridge.

Steve

Thanks Steve, yes he did get off to sleep which made it easier to watch the bird. Glad you connected with the hawfinch at Lynford.

Thanks james.

I have found the map. Thanks for that.

Depending on how bad the weather is (foggy) I will give it a try, even if only to se the SEO's.

Regards
John

Hi John.

It is the area east of Reedham, enclosed by two rivers and a man-made cut. To view it go to Fritton and head north to Waveney Forest. There is room for a few cars to park at the end of the road, if it is full then there is a car park a little way back. You walk through the forest to the edge and can then view out over the marshes. The viewpoint is about here: TG 458 011.

There is a good map of the area on the Lounge Lizard website at the moment, go to recent sightings then scroll down as far as Great White Egret.

Regards,
James

Thanks Peter. The SEO's would be worth seeing if the RLB has gone so (weather permitting) I will give it a try tomorrow morning.

John

RLB flew out of from Waveney Forest this am at 0750- only to be lost on mist and not seen on circular walk along New Cut then along Yare and finally along Waveney back to St Olaves.
There were 3 SEO, 6+ Barn Owls, 8 Marsh Harrier including one with green tag and 25 + Beardies seen/heard in 12 places

peter

Here it is ;)

Thanks for that - much appreciated It will soon be time to start mis-identifying again8-P

Of course there is a lot of misidentification over these two pairs of species (gos/spar, marsh/willow) but my experience of wardening there throws up some much more interesting ID errors

juv bullfinches mistaken for hawfinches:eek!:
marsh harrier/buzzard
great/lesser spot
any warbler with any other small bird
kes/spar much more of a problem than gos/spar

Gordon

Yesterday, a s.e.owl hunting over the west bank marsh and along Beach road, Cley. A report of seven grey partridge on Sunday morning past near Gramborough, Salthouse was mentioned to me.

With reference to possible confusion/miss ids a "very good" visiting birder from the midlands saw two definite goshawks over Cley village last summer from the car - how lucky was he.

I also wondered briefly if it could be the central European race aquaticus

Several other Black-bellied Dippers in Norfolk have shown brownish hues like this, if perhaps not so clearly so as this one seems to (though the light will have emphasised it I imagine). I recall quite a bit of discussion about the bird at Heacham in '94, which I remember was quite brown on the belly.

Hi Dave and all. The bird at Heacham in 94 was trapped and ringed, and if I remember correctly the Biometrics put it more in the range of aquaticus. However even in the hand racial identification is not straightforward due to overlaps in measurements.

We assigned it as "probably of one of the central European races".

Last edited:
With reference to the Richardson’s Canada in North Norfolk in the late 1990s\2000s in N Norfolk. For about 10 years we had one that was attached to the Fritton Lake feral barnacle flock that used to winter at Pensthorpe during this period. These birds would roost on the Pensthorpe lakes and at time wander about the county including N Norfolk coast. While at Pensthorpe they were quite tame and walk up to be fed , but were wilder when elsewhere. This is a frequent trait with wildfowl. One only has to see the Broadland Canada’s begging bread from holiday boats from visitors only to fly a few hundred yards away onto hunted ground and find it impossible to get within a hundred yards of them without them taking flight. On a number of occasions when the Richardson’s Canada was absent from Pensthorpe one was being reported 10 miles away from Holkham and likewise when there were no reports from the N coast it was frequently present at Pensthorpe waddling up to be fed . In my opinion to say the very least that makes any suggestion that the North Coast bird was wild very suspect to say the very least. It was a similar story for the 4 free winged Pensthorpe Ross geese. But I would guess the need some people have to list the bird for the year would out weigh that. I see in NBR 2010 there are multiple sightings of 7 goose species of suspected feral or escaped origin.

I cant remember , but how many records of Richardson’s Canada’s there are during this period along the pink foot flyway ? Norfolk- Lincs - Humber- Lancs- Solway-East Scotland. If tracked along that flyway then that would strengthen its credentials for being a wild bird otherwise it still remains very iffy.

When I worked at Pensthope we had a large number of escaped wildfowl not from Pensthorpe arrive attracted by the pinioned birds. Ringed teal- Bahamas teal- Chloe wigeon- hooded merganser- snow geese – ross geese-black swan - lesser whitefronts- swan goose - European white front- 5 very tame June pink feet and so on. I will never remember the excitement of catching a drake canvasback back in the 1990s in the duck ringing trap. At that time it would have been a first for the UK. I was very tempted to ring the bird , but instead placed it with the tame pinioned canvasback flock. Within an hour it was eating corn out of a metal dish.

Last edited:
Hobbling slightly more freely now, I meandered through bits of Wells Woods, not seeing the 10 or so Redpolls that were extremely flighty.

One hundred shots of Treecreeper- and one that was in any way reasonable.

Oh, and a brownhead Goldeneye on Abraham's Bosom, that had a tussle with a Little Grebe.

On my way back to Cley, the (ringed) Barn Owl below was resting on a post by the Sluice. In my humble opinion, this is first class post (!). I have been seeing more of these on the way to work, of late.

Attachments

• 038pse.jpg
    038pse.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 150pse.jpg
    150pse.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Titchwell January 11th

Today’s highlights

Green sandpiper – 1 on grazing meadow pool
Water pipit – 1 on fresh marsh
Red crested pochard – female on Patsy’s reedbed
Spotted redshank – 4 on Volunteer Marsh
Twite – 12 on beach
Yellow legged gull – 3rd winter on fresh marsh
Goldeneye – 112 offshore
Long tailed duck – 2 female offshore
Snow bunting – 7 at Thornham Point
Hen harrier – 3 ringtails to roost

Paul

Buckenham marshes

I visited Buckenham marshes yesterday and saw what I think was a marsh harrier with a white underside.

Has anyone else seen this bird?

There was also a small flock of ten waders on the pool past the mill. They were sandpiper / turnstone size but without a scope I could see them clearly. All I could make out was the brown back and white underside with white cut in at the neck, like turn stone and common sand piper.

Has anyone ever seen common sandpipers in the winter months? or turnstone on fresh water marshes?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

I visited Buckenham marshes yesterday and saw what I think was a marsh harrier with a white underside.

There was also a small flock of ten waders on the pool past the mill. They were sandpiper / turnstone size but without a scope I could see them clearly. All I could make out was the brown back and white underside with white cut in at the neck, like turn stone and common sand piper.

Has anyone ever seen common sandpipers in the winter months? or turnstone on fresh water marshes?

Cheers

Hi Afeather,
For starters, the Marsh Harrier you describe has been spotted earlier this year. I am hoping someone can provide a link to a photo I remember was posted here. It is an odd looking beast isn't it! I believe Ben Lewis photographed the bird at Strumpshaw Fen.
As for your Waders, I saw what I imagine to be the same group, although I was across the river so like you could not ID them with any certainty. Common Sandpiper would be unlikely during the Winter, and Green Sandpiper tend to frequent dykes and farmland at this time of year, and not in such number. It's interesting you say Turnstone, as 2 birds have been reported from the reserve. Unusual in the Yare Valley. I would guess that your birds are infact Dunlin, but open to other ideas!
Cheers,
Jim.

Here's said link of the original posting on Ben's blog....

James

Hi Afeather,
For starters, the Marsh Harrier you describe has been spotted earlier this year. I am hoping someone can provide a link to a photo I remember was posted here. It is an odd looking beast isn't it! I believe Ben Lewis photographed the bird at Strumpshaw Fen.
As for your Waders, I saw what I imagine to be the same group, although I was across the river so like you could not ID them with any certainty. Common Sandpiper would be unlikely during the Winter, and Green Sandpiper tend to frequent dykes and farmland at this time of year, and not in such number. It's interesting you say Turnstone, as 2 birds have been reported from the reserve. Unusual in the Yare Valley. I would guess that your birds are infact Dunlin, but open to other ideas!
Cheers,
Jim.

Cheers

The Marsh Harrier you describe is often seen around that area. I myself have witnessed it many times at Strumpshaw Fen.

I visit Buckenham regularly and the waders that are often present that could fit your description are Ruff and Dunlin. I would go with Dunlin.

I had a big surprise today near to Chosely Barns. I always struggle to see Grey Partridge and was well pleased when I saw my first two just outside of Stiffkey.

My next port of call was Chosely Barns and on my way up to it in the second field on the right (coming from Titchwell) were at least 16 of them. As soon as I tried to get out of the car they flew towards Titchwell so I moved off only to see another four in the next field on the right.

I have never seen so many as that before, nor have I heard of that many together beforeeither .

John

I had a big surprise today near to Chosely Barns. I always struggle to see Grey Partridge and was well pleased when I saw my first two just outside of Stiffkey. My next port of call was Chosely Barns and on my way up to it in the second field on the right (coming from Titchwell) were at least 16 of them. As soon as I tried to get out of the car they flew towards Titchwell so I moved off only to see another four in the next field on the right. I have never seen so many as that before, nor have I heard of that many together before either. John

Two days ago we had over 10 Grey Partridge just north of Chosely Barns, although we were concentrating on a flock of 200+ Brambling on the wires or in the hedges at the time! We had driven along the ridge road from Binham towards Chosely, and had seen a total of several dozen Grey Partridges in small groups en route; I presume that at this time of year male Grey Partridges have begun courtship, and so we see them away from cover. We then had four at the Barns, and four more down the hill towards Titchwell.
MJB
PS Finch flocks seem scarce generally, although 150 Linnet were on the wires 1 km north of Chosely Barns.

I had a big surprise today near to Chosely Barns. I always struggle to see Grey Partridge and was well pleased when I saw my first two just outside of Stiffkey.

My next port of call was Chosely Barns and on my way up to it in the second field on the right (coming from Titchwell) were at least 16 of them. As soon as I tried to get out of the car they flew towards Titchwell so I moved off only to see another four in the next field on the right.

I have never seen so many as that before, nor have I heard of that many together beforeeither .

John

I saw a flock off Grey Partridge chicks there last summer with the adults

John

Grey Partridge has certainly declined significantly and is now absent or scarce at many places where it was once common, even in Norfolk. It is, however a still a very common farmland bird in much of NW Norfolk. I work in NW Norfolk and see them most days either on the way to/from work or in my lunch breaks, often in good numbers and at multiple locations.

Possible "Siberian" Chiffchaff - Cley

A sighting of one, not by me, at the southern end of the East Bank in brambles by the small car park. Not heard to call.

Cheers

I had 96 Ruff and 50+ Dunlin at Buckenham on Tuesday morning so these seem like good suggestions as Jim has already said. Dont forget that Ruff come in a variety of sizes with some looking very sandpiper like at distance. Turrnstone are a rare bird on the marshes but do occur annually ( I believe Stuart White had a couple of flyovers last week) I am still awaiting this patch tick

Hi Afeather,
Cheers,
Jim.

Thanks Jim, very helpful. Lovely pics too.

Cheers

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back